The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Theft of Photographs from Show Photographers

If you see the same person consistently posting stolen photos from well-known show photographers, do you report it to the photographer?

Photographers, how do you prefer this to be handled?

I actually posted a comment on one photo indicating that I hope it had actually been purchased rather than stolen, and the individual who posted the photo deleted my comment but left the photo up.

Thoughts?

It just really irks me, because this is the kind of thing that leads to the photos being so expensive in the first place. And it just reeks of an unwarranted sense of entitlement.

The person posting the photos is a child, if that makes any difference.

7 members found this post helpful.

I screen cap it and email it to the photographer.
    Just did it this morning.

Photo thieves can consider this their heads up
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Now promoting sale horses from North Carolina to the Netherlands. Follow us on Facebook.

16 members found this post helpful.

That's a good idea. Although there are so many stolen photos...I cannot possibly screen cap them all!

1 members found this post helpful.

I would for sure tell the photographer and have done it in the past.

If the person stole so many that screen capturing them is a huge burden, do a screen shot of a few and send it to the photographer and include a description that there are a high number of photos.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    If you see the same person consistently posting stolen photos from well-known show photographers, do you report it to the photographer?

Photographers, how do you prefer this to be handled?

I actually posted a comment on one photo indicating that I hope it had actually been purchased rather than stolen, and the individual who posted the photo deleted my comment but left the photo up.

Thoughts?

It just really irks me, because this is the kind of thing that leads to the photos being so expensive in the first place. And it just reeks of an unwarranted sense of entitlement.

The person posting the photos is a child, if that makes any difference.

I agree. But I think the professional horse photographers will be a thing of the past in a few more years. I could see them possibly being around at Devon, Indoors and other major shows, particularly indoors where it is more difficult to get "ringside" But our barn has several people with high quality digital cameras and we always have several good images from these "free" sources.

I notice many of the "thefts" of pictures from pros are from young riders. I often wonder if they even realize they are stealing. It's very possible they think the photographers name across the picture is advertising for the photographer and you only have to pay if you want a picture without the name. It's so easy to steal a copy it almost seems like it shouldn't be stealing.

I see it almost daily and have never turned anyone in....

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    I agree. But I think the professional horse photographers will be a thing of the past in a few more years. I could see them possibly being around at Devon, Indoors and other major shows, particularly indoors where it is more difficult to get "ringside" But our barn has several people with high quality digital cameras and we always have several good images from these "free" sources.

I notice many of the "thefts" of pictures from pros are from young riders. I often wonder if they even realize they are stealing. It's very possible they think the photographers name across the picture is advertising for the photographer and you only have to pay if you want a picture without the name. It's so easy to steal a copy it almost seems like it shouldn't be stealing.

I see it almost daily and have never turned anyone in....
    I hear you on the "young people" thing. However, the photos actually say "STOLEN FROM: ______," and we are not talking about a mentally disabled person posting these photos. Even if the "STOLEN FROM" language had not been on all of the photos, my comment on the photo should have tipped her off and prompted her to delete it (and all of the others) if it was an honest mistake.

Instead, she deleted my comment and continued posting more stolen photos (and one that appears to have been properly purchased).

I am all for giving people (especially kids) an opportunity to do things right. But if they don't take that opportunity, I have no problem turning them in.

And, yes, there are many free options for obtaining photographs from horse shows. That's all fine and good. Many people I know do this. Their photos are nice, but not show photographer quality, usually. However, this person chose instead to steal photographs.

One of my good riding friends parents are well known photographers and go to most of the A shows in the area. They are well aware of those that continue to put unpaid pictures up on their Facebook but have given up for the most part on reporting them as the people will just repost them.

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyStated View Post
    One of my good riding friends parents are well known photographers and go to most of the A shows in the area. They are well aware of those that continue to put unpaid pictures up on their Facebook but have given up for the most part on reporting them as the people will just repost them.
    If they were smart, they would stop photographing those people!

10 members found this post helpful.

As a relatively young person myself, I see tons of stolen/watermarked photos on my Facebook newsfeed from a lot of "big name" juniors, if you will. It seems to me that it's almost gotten to the point that some watermarks are almost a "status symbol" for some riders to show that they compete at a high enough level to have their picture taken by that particular photo company (i.e. a James Parker photo from Devon). Then follows a slew of paparazzi-style "candids", all usually still bearing the watermark.

I don't mean this as any knock against JPP (all of their shots are always breathtaking) or any other photo company and it could be that all of these young riders are Book clients that have already paid for the right to use all of these images how they so choose, but it seems to send a message to the younger set that looks up to these top junior riders that it's not only OKAY to post watermarked pictures, but that it's almost COOL.

I may have totally missed the mark on this and might be the only weirdo that notices this. I dunno.

5 members found this post helpful.

I have reported several people who have posted stolen photographs on their Facebook pages, and the photographers are always really appreciative... but no idea if any action has been taken. If you like the photo enough to post it, then pay for it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alternativename View Post
    As a relatively young person myself, I see tons of stolen/watermarked photos on my Facebook newsfeed from a lot of "big name" juniors, if you will. It seems to me that it's almost gotten to the point that some watermarks are almost a "status symbol" for some riders to show that they compete at a high enough level to have their picture taken by that particular photo company (i.e. a James Parker photo from Devon). Then follows a slew of paparazzi-style "candids", all usually still bearing the watermark.

I don't mean this as any knock against JPP (all of their shots are always breathtaking) or any other photo company and it could be that all of these young riders are Book clients that have already paid for the right to use all of these images how they so choose, but it seems to send a message to the younger set that looks up to these top junior riders that it's not only OKAY to post watermarked pictures, but that it's almost COOL.

I may have totally missed the mark on this and might be the only weirdo that notices this. I dunno.
    And you could be right. Which is why I asked this particular person if the photo was stolen. My comment was deleted and then more stolen photos were posted. I've emailed the photographer with some of the photos, so the photographer can do as they see fit. I would think that if there were a special arrangement, the photographer would provide photos to the person in question without the "STOLEN FROM" watermark plainly visible.

It seems lately the trend in show photography is to have people pay a fee up front if they want to be photographed and the photographer only photographs the people who have 'reserved' the photographer for a class. That puts a damper on stealing photos since there are no photos of that person.

8 members found this post helpful.

I heard somewhere that if you put a photo on facebook they automatically own the copyright, per the user agreement... If thats true I wonder how that works with a stolen photograph that has been posted there?

I saw several photos from one photographer on someone's facebook and I reported it to the show manager to report to the photographer. I know of one photographer who posted proofs online that would block certain people's links because they had a history of stealing proofs.

Screen cap and notify photographer. Although I have yet to get any acknowledgement from a photographer, so no idea if they actually care..
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    I hear you on the "young people" thing. However, the photos actually say "STOLEN FROM: ______," and we are not talking about a mentally disabled person posting these photos. Even if the "STOLEN FROM" language had not been on all of the photos, my comment on the photo should have tipped her off and prompted her to delete it (and all of the others) if it was an honest mistake.

Instead, she deleted my comment and continued posting more stolen photos (and one that appears to have been properly purchased).

I am all for giving people (especially kids) an opportunity to do things right. But if they don't take that opportunity, I have no problem turning them in.

And, yes, there are many free options for obtaining photographs from horse shows. That's all fine and good. Many people I know do this. Their photos are nice, but not show photographer quality, usually. However, this person chose instead to steal photographs.
    No arguement from me. I guess my excuse for not turning them in is "they are good kids". That obviously doesn't help the photographer or prices and probably doesn't help the kids either.

Hmmmmm something to consider. I think I'll ask a few trainer friends that have "kid" clients if they have ever spoken about this to their "clients". Also maybe the horse show office could attach a note to each show bill reminding us that it is stealing. I would imagine it is very difficult for the photographer to police this issue, even if they are getting notifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    Also maybe the horse show office could attach a note to each show bill reminding us that it is stealing. I would imagine it is very difficult for the photographer to police this issue, even if they are getting notifications.
    This won't stop it. My friend that is a photographer has you sign a legal statement on each order regarding copyright law and she still has pictures stolen/misused all the time.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    This won't stop it. My friend that is a photographer has you sign a legal statement on each order regarding copyright law and she still has pictures stolen/misused all the time.
    yea i keep going with the "hope" that they aren't knowingly stealing. I guess i'm naive in my thoughts. I just can't imagine stealing them and then publicly posting them.....

Based on the details you have provided, I know exactly who you are talking about. I know for a fact that she has purchased the pictures, including the one you commented on, as well as many others.
    I agree with the fact that it is wrong, but you will be hard pressed to find a junior who doesn't have 25 albums full of pictures from their horse shows - and honestly, most of these people buy the pictures.
    Look at the article on that Commentary horse, and why they reregistered it. Larry Glefke's response to having a horse with an international record showing in the greens was "everyone is doing it!", and he is a grown man. In this case, you're talking about a fourteen year old kid - if everyone else is posting pictures, they will too.

ETA - I counted, and I believe there's seven total stolen pictures on her Facebook, and 8-10 properly purchased pictures. It's not like she has two hundred thousand stolen pictures plastered everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by iEquitate View Post
    Based on the details you have provided, I know exactly who you are talking about. I know for a fact that she has purchased the pictures, including the one you commented on, as well as many others.
    Thus brings back my theory about wanting to leave the watermark on for the "cool" factor. Why not post the non-watermarked version if she owns the pictures?

5 members found this post helpful.