The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Male or female chickie??

I've been calling this little chick a girl, but I don't really know which it is. Do any of you chicken peeps have any idea what sex this might be? It is a silkieXsex-link cross (accident). I know that one crossed on the other is supposed to keep the sex-link trait, but I think it's only one way (sexlink roo on hen or vice versa). I have a Silkie roo and a hen and a Sexlink roo and some hens, so it could have gone either way.

Anyway, here is the chickie.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...01780697_o.jpg

I love this little chickie too. So sweet! I'm thinking about intentionally hatching some more crosses.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Silkies are known for being very difficult to sex until they crow LOL! But, I'll take a wild guess and go with hen because there is not much comb development. Very cute!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Looks very much like a pullet...but I've been fooled a many time, even after raising chickens for years!
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

Sex-links are sex-able at hatching because of the color. They do not reproduce in a sex-link way.

Based on the size/look of maturity in this chickie, odds are very much on your side this is a pullet. I would really expect to see some comb development by now for a roo.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Sex-links are sex-able at hatching because of the color. They do not reproduce in a sex-link way.

Based on the size/look of maturity in this chickie, odds are very much on your side this is a pullet. I would really expect to see some comb development by now for a roo.
    That's weird. I read that you can make sex-linkXeaster eggers that will be sexlink and that you can use them on silkies, but it has to be, I think, sexlink roo on hen. With that crossing, if the skin is black, it's a roo and if not, it's a hen. I think that's what I read. I will have to go back and see if I can find it.

I ended up with 2 sexlinkXeaster egger roos, both barred. I also ended up with what looks like a Mille Fleur D"uccle X sexlink. He is definitely a he, but has pullet sexlink coloring with some odd white thrown in.

I hadn't planned on hatching any eggs this year, so I didn't separate the hens with the roosters I wanted them with. Of course I then got tired of fighting with the hens and let this big Buff Orp hatch her 10 eggs. I came up with some crazy mixed bag chicks. One has a mohawk, down the back of it's neck......
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

I think it is a pullet, but have had several lovely pullets that crowed..........

Sex-links are produced because of the color of the roo vs the hen, and because of the particular (pure) breeds used. Barred Rock hens with either a NHR or RIR roo make black sex-links. But those black sex-links are then a mix, and there is no reliable sex-link crossing with another chicken. Reality is, I think, the hen is barred and the roo is not, for the general black sex-link. I think there may be a different color sex-link if it's a barred roo on a non-barred hen.

So, if you have a barred hybrid roo, it may be possible to produce sex-link chicks on non-barred hens, but it's not because either parent is a sex-link, it's because of their coloring.

That's different from breeds which produce purebred chicks that are sex-able based on markings, such as a dot on the head vs not. Those breed true when bred as a pure breed. Sex-links do not breed true - they are an end product F1 cross.

Quote Originally Posted by RacetrackReject View Post
    One has a mohawk, down the back of it's neck......
    You tell us that and you DON'T produce a picture??

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    You tell us that and you DON'T produce a picture??
    I tried to get a picture of it. I have a somewhat photo of it. I'll try and post it in a just a few minutes.

My eeXsexlink roos were sexlink roo colored. I believe that's how it works with the EExSexlink crosses. If it's colored like a male sexlink, it's a roo and if not, it's hen. I wish I could find that website again. It's going to drive me crazy..lol.

Anyway, YAY! for a pullet.

I will be back with a neck mohawk photo.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

D'Uccle chick
    http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps4af785f1.jpg

Neck mohawk chick. The mohawk is better in person. It's not like the EErs that have muffs that swoop back and make a tiny mohawk sort of thing.
    http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...psc981307c.jpg
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds