The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I am not a stream of consciousness talker, but I talk on xc
    With my green kid, there is a lot of "good boy" and "you're fine"
    I will also say things like "Hello!!?" if I am getting blown off or a "pay attention to me, not [insert whatever mundane thing he has decided might eat him]"
    I talk to him a lot when flatting on my own (helps me process what is going on) and I am sure it drives the other boarders batty
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

You can't hear my on my helmet cam most of the time for the wind, but I occasionally mutter or comment to my mare... stuff like "Woah" "easy" "GOOD girl." "shhhshhhshhshh" or most often "GOOD. CATTY. GIRL." but she's so brave, I don't say much, usually just a pat on the neck.

I caught myself half way through my geldings first training course- he's a worrier and he was definitely needing lots of help to stay bold- and when he went through the hollow quite nicely, I said "good boy!" and gave him a good pat, and he perked right up- so I'm going to have to get in the habit of giving him some feedback. It definitely made a big difference in the back half of the course.

People who incessantly chatter or shriek or go on and on make me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpots View Post
    Oy. While the occasional "good boy" or "good girl" or an aggressive cluck or "git-up" or needed "whoa" seems appropriate, I confess I might have snorted a few times at the folks who seem to keep up a near-constant stream of consciousness XC. My personal favorite from a few years back, was the adult on the Truly Saintly Beast where, before every jump, the rider would give the horse a loudly detailed description of the job at hand: "OK, Clover, here's the brush jump. Straight down the middle. Up and over. You can do it, you can do it, let's go!!" I'm sure she was just thinking out-loud, but it was more than a little bit entertaining for the rest of us.
    Aww, when I'm JJing, those always make me smile as they go past. I think it's cute, maybe because I know I do it myself sometimes.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm a talker, but I don't really do full sentences, it's more like "easy... Easy... EASY!" "Let's GO!" (through the water...) "GOOD BOY!". At my first event, they were short jump judges, so my coach volunteered. She could hear me coming a MILE away lol
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

OMG I'm SUCH a talker!! I'm constantly jabbering as my pony gains lots of confidence from it. At my last horse trial I had people literally laughing as I rode past "You got this little peanut! It's just a jump! Ready?! Here we go! YAAAAAAY!!! You're doing it! YAAAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!" :-D She's only 4 so lots of praise and narration...for both of us! And singing...there may have been singing "My little pony sweet little pony we're going to be beeeeest frieeeeeeends!" I need a helmet cam just so you can all enjoy my hilarious XC and stadium monologue.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Love the guy's conversation with the horse in the first one. Horse's ears are up, so I don't think he's listening.

I have discussions with horses. Cross-country or field hunting, they get "meta."

That means we might not talk so much about the job at hand, rather I might give a horse a lecture on just who is in charge in a broad sense.

Another favorite topic is "Things that might me open a can of whip-a$$."

And also "What made you think that half-halts don't apply because we left the ring?" That one goes like a Socratic dialogue, sorta like Newton's Principia.
    *LOL* Those are some of the things I used to tell my mare too.
    "But I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost

Eventing at Midnight Blog
    http://eventingmidnight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    Bahahaha!! Me too!! I'm also one helluva talker. I agree it is totally nerves and sheer adrenaline becoming verbal, but I'll take that over downright screaming!! "GOOD BOY! LET'S GO!" seems to be my standard, although "That's it, good boy!" is a close second. We also have discussions on directions, speed, and if Bailey's attention starts to drift I'll tell him "Hey! We got one coming up, better look at it!" At one point I forgot where my next fence was at and asked Bailey (yeah, because he sure knows, lol) "Oh sh!t Bay, where's our next fence?" Yes, I am THAT person. I admit it. I'm sure the jump judges at Galway were cracking up or thought I was completely insane. I try really hard not to be loud though, but I'm sure the nerves/adrenaline concoction don't help.

I'm not alone though. A girl came by the tower last weekend where some bystanders were watching, and her horse came out of the water, flicked an ear and kept right on trucking. Meanwhile we heard her say "I don't care about those people! Keep going!" It definitely got a few chuckles. At least I haven't said that one yet!!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! Just a few weekends ago I was a CT, a pc rally none the less and I let out a "Oh SH!T!" when I thought one of my fences got up and walked away .

I also sing while I am out on course. Keeps me from over thinking, and I always end up putting in really nice rides so it works! As soon as I start a course you can here me, "Give me a second I, I need to get my story straight, my friends are in the bathroom getting higher than the empire state...".

Thankfully I don't talk during my dressage tests!

one of my pet peeves... (sorry folks). People who are really chatty and loud while riding. I am not sure why it bothers me but it just does...

I guess I'm a real stick in the mud <sigh>

I'm definitely a talker...lots of "good ponies" and "whoas"...."brave girl/guy".... I love it, its fun

I'm a talker all the time. Not that I'm constantly talking to my horse, but I'll talk in any situation if either my horse or I needs it. I took my gelding to a CT last month, and after every line I was squealing "good boy!" I imagine people watching were thinking "her horse just stepped over a 12" crossrail, what's the big deal?" LOL

When I jump judge, I LOVE riders who talk to their horses! Some of the things they say crack me up.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

I never used to be, but I'm more of a talker now. When I was younger my mom would keep telling me to talk to my horse more, tell him good boy, etc. (and by younger I mean I was 16...lol). My current horse isn't the most confident, he's a worry-wort, a little nervous but very willing to please. He just eats up praise like candy, so I've been working on it.

My first rec. xc ride, I talked a LOT! lol. Lots of good boys, but mostly "COME ON D, WE GOT THIS!!!" as we got to each fence lol, bc Mr. Pony and I were both not convinced we should even be out there! I'd say the talking is 75% for myself, 25% for the horse
    Team Ginger

When I used to event I always talked on Cross Country. There was the "good boy" type stuff but I pretty much kept an ongoing conversation. I found it rather entertaining and helped me keep the mood lighter. If I concentrate too much that's when I screw up, so talking gave me the perfect balance of concentration and having fun. Plus, if the horse or myself did something silly I could make a cheesy joke out of it. I also found that talking on course helped me breathe consistently

I am a chatterbox but I do it quietly enough no one else can really hear me.

The most "interesting" talker I have seen was someone on a lovely mare screeching "GO!!Go!!.....GO!!!" every 15 seconds throughout the entire XC course. You could hear her the entire time she out there even out in the back 40. Mare seemed immune to it, fortunately.

Apparently I'm in minority with my horsy conversations, but when you ride two chestnut mares, I promise that it's almost impossible to be positive for any length of time!

Most of my comments are in the "Really?", "Hell no" and "Don't even think about it!" category.
    "If you get to thinking you're a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around." –Will Rogers

Daughter is a talker. Not constant, usually before and after fences with lots of "Gooood girl" and "Easy". But once, she got a laugh from the starter when she reminded her horse to go out of the start box on 4 legs, not just 2 by saying very calmly "Cut it out, you are a horse, NOT a T-rex". Her pony gets a little excited about cross country.
    A horse may be coaxed to drink, but a pencil must be lead.

4 members found this post helpful.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Last summer I was surprised by a couple people from my barn making a nasty comments as people rode by talking on x-country. It doesn't bother me, because I do it too.

For me, I've in the last year gone from a mostly confident rider to a complete pansy. It sucks. I know the jumps are laughably tiny, but anything at 3'+ makes me ridiculously anxious. It's stupid, I hate it, but it's not going away. Ditches, banks, little technical stuff is fine. 2'9, totally fine. 3' tables? Not ok.

So.... I talk. I pretty much tell myself what to do. Usually the dialouge goes like this '1,2,1,2 look up, leg on, 1,2, leg on, 1,2,3. Good boy!" Or, if I'm not listening to myself... "Leg on. Leg ON. LEG ON. LEG ON!!!!! sh!t, sorry! Good horse!'
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Pre-stadium conversation (usually while watching another person go): See, the red and white is first, then the orange. Don't run out like that horse did, that's bad.

Stadium conversation: We jumped 1, 2 is the orange, ok, left turn to 3. 4 is the in and out, so we gotta ride it right...

Cross Country conversation (samples): come on, log is first, then soft right to the coup. The bank down to the doghouse is next, let's not get carried away at the bank. Good boy, knew you could do that. The trakehner is not scary, the trakehner is not scary, keep your eyes up. Whew! .... I'm so sorry, that was a horrible spot! I keep telling you not to let me pick spots! Thank's for saving my bacon .... One more jump and we are done, wheee!!! Let's gallop home!

With my trainer's schoolmaster horse, there was a lot of "this jump is next, you know what to do, right? Man, you are the best horse EVER!"

I've noticed if I'm really nervous for some reason, I talk less. But usually it calms me down to talk to my horse!

And I don't mean just a "good boy/girl" but to actually have a semi conversation with them...

I count to jumps in lessons. My coach made me do it and now I find it really helps me focus on the pace.

I've only done one event (two weeks ago) in the past 10 years or so. I talked a bit - especially when going through woods and things because my horse is young and not very confident yet. I think it helps us both relax. I didn't say "good boy" over every jump but if there is a particularly scary or tricky one I would praise like crazy on the other side.
    I think at our next event I need to remember to talk more because it keeps me relaxed and reminds me to have fun rather than be all serious.

When I go trail riding alone I talk to my horse all the time. I have conversations with it. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by zorse View Post
    I count to jumps in lessons. My coach made me do it and now I find it really helps me focus on the pace.
    My old trainer made us count one, two, one, two, one, two coming into jumps. She said it took the guess work out of picking spots, cuz you were either going to jump on one or jump on two. It works pretty well