The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Talking on Cross Country, are you a talker or the silent type?

It appears I am a talker The horses I have ridden seem to like it so I probably won't change. I have returned to eventing after a twelve year hiatus. I talked in my younger years, but maybe not as much, probably too serious back then. I now am doing it for my fun and the fun of the horse, if you are not laughing you are not having fun....

What is everyone's opinion? Are you a talker or a silent type?

One Example

Another Example

2 members found this post helpful.

I talk WAY TOO MUCH to my horse. I'm just about to start eventing, and it's going to be a problem in dressage

I mostly say "good girl/boy" and that's it. Too busy trying to breathe otherwise!
    "Cynicism is a sorry kind of wisdom" Barack Obama

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HiJumpGrrl View Post
    I mostly say "good girl/boy" and that's it. Too busy trying to breathe otherwise!
    That's me too. I don't think Wheezing counts as talking
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

1 members found this post helpful.

I sing sometimes, not loud, but it keeps me focused. And I also talk alot. Not during lessons, but definitely at HTs.
    "But I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost

Eventing at Midnight Blog
    http://eventingmidnight.blogspot.com/

Love the guy's conversation with the horse in the first one. Horse's ears are up, so I don't think he's listening.

I have discussions with horses. Cross-country or field hunting, they get "meta."

That means we might not talk so much about the job at hand, rather I might give a horse a lecture on just who is in charge in a broad sense.

Another favorite topic is "Things that might me open a can of whip-a$$."

And also "What made you think that half-halts don't apply because we left the ring?" That one goes like a Socratic dialogue, sorta like Newton's Principia.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

4 members found this post helpful.

Yes. A lot of "good girl!/Good mare!" but frequently, when there's something I feel is tricky or scary, I will narrate us through it, and tell her what's coming. Obviously, she doesn't care and probably isn't listening at all, but it a) helps me mentally and b) keeps me breathing.

I'm apparently far more silent than I always thought. On my helmet cam videos I rarely say much. I often feel bad for not throwing in more "good boy/girl!"s.

But it is awfully noisy in my head out there!
    Click here before you buy.

Oy. While the occasional "good boy" or "good girl" or an aggressive cluck or "git-up" or needed "whoa" seems appropriate, I confess I might have snorted a few times at the folks who seem to keep up a near-constant stream of consciousness XC. My personal favorite from a few years back, was the adult on the Truly Saintly Beast where, before every jump, the rider would give the horse a loudly detailed description of the job at hand: "OK, Clover, here's the brush jump. Straight down the middle. Up and over. You can do it, you can do it, let's go!!" I'm sure she was just thinking out-loud, but it was more than a little bit entertaining for the rest of us.

6 members found this post helpful.

Got spots, were you watching me???
    okay, I'm not quite that descriptive, mostly "Good Girl", but I am certain I am guilty of telling the horse what was coming next from time to time.
    I just watched a video of myself approaching a drop, and when I couldn't get her to trot, there was a very clear "Slow, damn it!" audible on the tape.

I do need to speak less though, so I am not breathing harder than the horse at the end of the course.

^^ The girl at our recent HT that came thru saying "It's just a fence. It's JUST a fence." Was she talking to her horse or herself ???

There would be a chapter in a fence judging book entitled Things We've Heard Said! I heard tell there was a horse named You Suck at the water complex a few yrs ago.
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpots View Post
    Oy. While the occasional "good boy" or "good girl" or an aggressive cluck or "git-up" or needed "whoa" seems appropriate, I confess I might have snorted a few times at the folks who seem to keep up a near-constant stream of consciousness XC. My personal favorite from a few years back, was the adult on the Truly Saintly Beast where, before every jump, the rider would give the horse a loudly detailed description of the job at hand: "OK, Clover, here's the brush jump. Straight down the middle. Up and over. You can do it, you can do it, let's go!!" I'm sure she was just thinking out-loud, but it was more than a little bit entertaining for the rest of us.
    x2. I also think the shouting "Good Pony!" at every fence is a nervous-energy outlet for the rider, not encouragement for the horse. Shrieking like a predator about to descend doesn't reward a horse nearly as much as a quiet murmur, soft rub or just a little lightening of the rein does.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

3 members found this post helpful.

It turns out I am a talker. At my first event, before every fence I would say quietly to myself "Red on right.. red on right.. red on right.." because I had some paranoia about getting an E for jumping the wrong fence, or the wrong side, or the wrong way.

Other than that, occasionally a "C'MONNNNNN!!!", "GOOD BOY!!!!", and more frequently "Oops! Sorry bud!".

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

PonyGrandma, I love the idea of that book!

I'm the silent type, if I do say anything my horse is likely the only one to hear it. No idea why.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

I don't talk constantly, I think (could be wrong), but I do say more than "Good boy/You're a rockstar/what a champion." We discuss speed ("You're going to be tired if you go that fast."). We discuss trajectory ("TURN, please."). We discuss things like staying focused ("HEY! You NEED to pay attention."). I don't think it's constant, but it is there....but I talk to my horse a lot, anyway, just in general. So, it's habit.

When I'm talking, it is usually because I'm too busy grinning from ear to ear because my horse is so damn fun.

I talk to me guy most of the time, have helmet cam to listen to and sometimes I have found myself singing when I was nervous!!!
    No Worries!

I just watched a clip of my cross country over the weekend and I was apparently counting down to each jump out loud. I didn't realize that. Although I do remember yelling something interesting when my horse jumped a giant (to me) table really big. I won't repeat it though

Quote Originally Posted by Dance_To_Oblivion View Post
    I just watched a clip of my cross country over the weekend and I was apparently counting down to each jump out loud. I didn't realize that. Although I do remember yelling something interesting when my horse jumped a giant (to me) table really big. I won't repeat it though
    No worries- I constantly sound like a drunk Irish pirate with Tourette's when I am riding.

6 members found this post helpful.

I think I talk more when things aren't going well When we're cruising along on good footing and all the spots come up and he's not tired I stay pretty quiet. This past weekend there was a lot of C'MON BUDDY and WHOA?? (I spent a couple seconds trying to figure out where the hell jump 4 went) and GETTTTT UP GET UP GET UP GOOOOOOD BOY! and just generally talking him through distractions and sloppy footing. You can hear it all on the I Cursed In Front of a Pony Clubber thread

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedHunter View Post
    No worries- I constantly sound like a drunk Irish pirate with Tourette's when I am riding.
    Bahahaha!! Me too!! I'm also one helluva talker. I agree it is totally nerves and sheer adrenaline becoming verbal, but I'll take that over downright screaming!! "GOOD BOY! LET'S GO!" seems to be my standard, although "That's it, good boy!" is a close second. We also have discussions on directions, speed, and if Bailey's attention starts to drift I'll tell him "Hey! We got one coming up, better look at it!" At one point I forgot where my next fence was at and asked Bailey (yeah, because he sure knows, lol) "Oh sh!t Bay, where's our next fence?" Yes, I am THAT person. I admit it. I'm sure the jump judges at Galway were cracking up or thought I was completely insane. I try really hard not to be loud though, but I'm sure the nerves/adrenaline concoction don't help.

I'm not alone though. A girl came by the tower last weekend where some bystanders were watching, and her horse came out of the water, flicked an ear and kept right on trucking. Meanwhile we heard her say "I don't care about those people! Keep going!" It definitely got a few chuckles. At least I haven't said that one yet!!