The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help - moles are taking over the farm!

Have been on this farm since 1985 - have never seen them this bad. They are around the barn, the house, in the yard, and I am not sure they aren't in the riding ring, which would be a very bad thing.

I know they hunt grubs, but with the dogs and a cat plus the horses, I am not willing to take a chance on poison. And some creature is coming into the yard at night and digging like crazy so in the morning it is starting to look like army trenches everywhere - its all I can do to keep my guys from joining in that fun.

Are there any more natural ways to get rid of these destructive creatures?

And no, as much as I love them, I do not want to borrow a Jack Russell

I just moved to the Gulf Coast and they are all over my lawns (front, back, pastures). I caught my neighbor the other day and he said he has never seen them this bad and he's lived in the area 50 years.

At this point, I don't really care about them. I have too many other things on my plate to worry about how they're destroying my lawn in a very rural area. However, while I haven't looked into them, but I've heard there are sonar-like stakes you can put in the ground to repel them. That's all I've heard other than poison, living with them in "harmony", or looking for them burrowing in the morning and killing them with a well-placed shovel to the ground.

I do not have moles. Not for very long, anyway. My four dogs take care of them.

In the process, they dig huge tiger pits in my yard.

The dogs bring me the dead moles, which are very small creatures. So why does hunting moles require the dogs to dig a hole I can drop my F150 into and need a tow truck to get me out?
    Analytical thinking is the first casualty when opposing sides polarize, and that shows lack of common sense on both sides.
    Denny Emerson

3 members found this post helpful.

Not sure if this really works but my grandmother used to put out those flower pinwheel plastic yard decorations in her yard. Supposedly the vibration of the metal post would discourage the moles.
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

My sympathies, they are very hard to deal with. I like to live in peace with the neighborhood critters, but they (or it) has destroyed my back yard, and trying to cut the grass is a nightmare with all the holes and ridges. I've had success with mole bait, which is shaped like earthworms (their favorite food, apparently). You just drop it into an active tunnel, so birds, etc. aren't exposed to it. One product is called Talprid. You can go on Amazon and search mole removal under the garden and lawn section. They have various products on sale there, but the mole bait is probably the best bet.

1 members found this post helpful.

You first have to determine if they are moles or voles. Voles feed on roots and Vegetation (ergo V for voles) Extension agent suggested a piece of apple in a tunnel, covered with a wood board. If the apple is gone, it was taken by a vole. Moles aren't interested in apples. They eat meat ... M for moles

5 members found this post helpful.

Interesting - here in southern NJ I must have a bumper crop too - my front yard is mostly wooded so doesn't bother me much, but I've noticed my fiercest huntress kitty (why is the tiniest kitty also the best huntress?) has been delivering at least 1 often 2 moles to me daily. My only concern is, with two cat doors, keeping up with finding & disposing of the carcasses - she tends to pick more & more creative places to leave her gifts to me, found one in my pillow case the other day :-O My only suggestion is a super huntress kitty

You can also try milky spore. It might take a few years of repeated applications.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D10EWO/...l_7ub1njire2_e

3 members found this post helpful.

Monica67 - LOL - my house and barn are very close together - I am pretty sure the boys would have something to say about the new crop of pinwheels! Would be interesting though if it worked!

May have to check into the sonar, mole bait and milky spores though, thanks for the suggestions.

I think the cat is trying to keep up with them but I cannot let the Labs join in - with all the rain we have had I can just see the mess that would be coming into the house.

I am not as concerned about the ones in the yard as I am the ones around the barn - the tunneled under one of the end doors and I wasn't able to budge it until I dug it back out!

I am wondering if the cicadas have had something to do with this - the moles started getting bad around the same time the cicadas were dying out.

If you are willing to trap them, then go that route, besides poisoning that is the most effective and humane way to dispatch them.

I have a tube trap that stick down thier hole and works great. The trick I have found is to clear most of the dirt mound off thier hole, and stick the trap firmly in(as far as you can without setting it off), and then leaving the trap uncovered. To find the hole, just take a stick and poke it into the mound until you find it.

There is a hole at the top of the trap, so I figure they see the light and want it covered back up, so they go to investigate and then they are snapped in the trap. They die instantly(just like a mouse trap).

I had a huge family of moles move into my old pasture, and the worst part was that thier tunnels would collapse from the horses weight and make the ground very uneven and unsafe, plus the holes they created which fits a horses hooves perfectly.

The one thing that was 'ok' was the wonderful fluffy dirt they would turn up, made for great potting soil!

Good luck

3 words

Jack Russell Terrier

Not sure if we had voles or moles before the JRT, but we didn't either one after.

Here in the PNW, the only truly effective method is to trap them. We've tried all the other stuff, the bait and electronic devices and smokers and such, but those failed, so we started trapping them this year. Took my SO a bit to get going but now he is pretty good at it and we've gotten them under control on our place...for now. New ones will take their place, so you have to keep up on it. The moles here are territorial and solitary, so where you see a bunch of molehills might just be one mole, and if you catch it, another one will move in and take its place.

My dad used to run a hose from his little dirtbike exhaust down the holes and kill them that way. He swore it worked, but we haven't tried it here.

If you search online for the rodenator, the videos are pretty entertaining. There are times I would want to try it here, as I get so tired of the rodent wars, and there would be some great satisfaction to blowing them up. Probably scare the neighbors, or draw some of them to visit, which would be worse.

..careful - in light of a recent thread here re the skunk...
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

We are in WWIII against moles AND voles around here. We lost a TON of plants to the voles who were using the tunnels constructed by the moles. We treated for grubs last year using milky spore...VERY effective and not toxic to cats, dogs, etc. VERY hardpressed to find a grub around here. Earthworms, however, are another story. We have them in droves and the size of small snakes. With all the rain softening the ground and the plethora of earthworms, the ag agent tells me I might as well have hung out a vacancy sign for the moles. Poisoning them was not an option; traps didn't work. And truly, I didn't really care about the moles so much...it was the voles that were destroying row after row of taters and sucking tomato plants down into the ground (yes, it was like Caddyshack). It got to the point one day I just sat down in the dirt and literally started crying. Then I got mad.

Turns out in NC you can't kill moles with just any ol' poison. I'm told it's against the law and again, I just wanted the voles gone. We tried EVERYTHING: traps, windmill/pinwheel things, putting glass bottles at the tunnel entrance to catch the wind noise, double bubble, double mint gum, silver gum wrappers (I don't know???) - I mean anything/everything we were told to do by the ag agent, the old guys at the feed store, Captain Keel 'Em All neighbor.... Then the feed store guy sold me some type of smoke sticks that looked like tiny dynamite...I was SO hopeful but that didn't work either. I am ASHAMED to say what I resorted to - and it didn't kill the moles, but we no longer have voles. I took bricks of rat poison and shoved them into the mole tunnel entrances and put heavy things over the entrance - like 18" sq. patio pavers. We use NO poisons around here b/c of the honeybees and chickens but the loss of product was so huge.... I'm hanging my head in shame but I no longer have voles...for the moment, anyway. The moles are still at it, though.

Good luck in your efforts. Buy extra wine/beer when you're at the grocery store - it makes the whole thing a lot easier to deal with. Sort of.

Oh man, I have lived in this same location for 14 years, and the battle is still raging.
    It is worse now because I went chemical free, no pesticides or anything.
    They say if you have Grubs you get moles. Well I must have a bumper crop of them. I have tried the trap, the molenator~ LOL
    I get one once in a while but I think they are wise to them. And the moles ARE HUGE!! Little shovels for feet, No wonder they do so much damage.
    I would be interested to hear any and all ideas as well. Nothing has worked for me so far.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Wow, this must be an epidemic this year. My yards also look like underground snake trails and much worse than in previous years

My dogs won't hunt the varmints. If the neighbor's JRT would dig them up, I wouldn't get so upset at him coming in the barn looking to steal catfood

I have the moles that look like mice but with pointy noses (the cats will kill those).

And I have those THINGS that look like some mutated beast out of a movie. Mostly I have the mutant moles and nobody will go near them.

The electronic stuff never worked on gophers when I lived in SoCal, so I'm not wasting money on them.

But I do wonder if the un-chewed Juicy Fruit gum trick would work like it did on gophers?

The premise is the gophers were enticed by the sweet smell, would chew the gum, it would literally "gum" up their digestive system and they would die.

If the moles/voles have the same sort of digestive system, buying a truck load of Juicy Fruit and sticking it down all the holes, might be a simple solution.

Quote Originally Posted by walkinthewalk View Post
    Wow, this must be an epidemic this year. My yards also look like underground snake trails and much worse than in previous years

My dogs won't hunt the varmints. If the neighbor's JRT would dig them up, I wouldn't get so upset at him coming in the barn looking to steal catfood

I have the moles that look like mice but with pointy noses (the cats will kill those).

And I have those THINGS that look like some mutated beast out of a movie. Mostly I have the mutant moles and nobody will go near them.

The electronic stuff never worked on gophers when I lived in SoCal, so I'm not wasting money on them.

But I do wonder if the un-chewed Juicy Fruit gum trick would work like it did on gophers?

The premise is the gophers were enticed by the sweet smell, would chew the gum, it would literally "gum" up their digestive system and they would die.

If the moles/voles have the same sort of digestive system, buying a truck load of Juicy Fruit and sticking it down all the holes, might be a simple solution.
    I tried the gum years ago, HAH, they pushed it out of the holes.. I kid you not.
    I tried those expensive Tomcat Mole killer worms they look like gummy earth worms and they are supposed to eat them and die, the only thing that died was my money..
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

^^^there goes that thought down the terlet

The Tomcat mole-killer worms worked for us up until this year. Then the mole started shoving them up out of the holes. So we switched to killing off the grubs and spreading mole repellant on the lawn. It's been 3 weeks without a new hill, but we will spread more repellant soon just in case. We live up against a wooded State Park, so we have an endless supply of new moles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    The Tomcat mole-killer worms worked for us up until this year. Then the mole started shoving them up out of the holes. So we switched to killing off the grubs and spreading mole repellant on the lawn. It's been 3 weeks without a new hill, but we will spread more repellant soon just in case. We live up against a wooded State Park, so we have an endless supply of new moles.
    I think I have super resistant moles! Seriously.
    I also have woods, Hey walkinthewalk. Try the Gum, It may work for you, Heck its cheap and safe, I swear I have moles from hell.
    Little evil Demon moles!