The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Conformation Critique please - Pony - Hunter/Dressage?

Anyone care to offer a critique of my youngster?

He is a 3 year old Welsh cross pony. I haven't put a stick on him, but eyeball him at about 13.3 to 14 hands, so he should stay pony size. I have a short video being lunged at trainer's, where he's just getting started under saddle. But it should give idea of movement. I'm also curious if he'd be consider hunter type since his Welsh sire is rather well-known hunter sire.

Input appreciated! Thanks!

Video - trot on lunge
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJzuBvZxatE

Photos
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...ps22aef0e6.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...psa43ab9da.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...psc3202d98.jpg

First off he is adorable.

to be picky on his conformation, he doesn't have the best head (kinda large and not a dishy welsh type face) and he is a little out behind-cannon bone is behind the end of his rump, which is translating into a long gaskin (not ideal for jumping power). could be the photo but it looks like maybe he is a little toe out on his LF?

overall he is nicely put together. I think he has a hair too much knee action to be a typey hunter pony, especially if he is barefoot in the video. but there are more jumping classes than hacks, so if he is a phenomenal jumper the movement wouldn't put me off.

1 members found this post helpful.

He is only three and you feel totally comfortable he will not grow more than two inches?

2 members found this post helpful.

Thank you Silanac. Agree, he definitely missed out on the welsh head. And yes he is barefoot, so that's a factor. I've never put him over jumps, so I don't know how he will do. I really not familiar with expectations for hunters. And yes, he is toed-out.

Trubanloki - I think it's reasonable to assume he'll stay pony size, based on his current height and size of his parents. But, of course, nothing is guaranteed in this world.

My first impressions were:

good: overall fairly well balanced, nice shoulder/neck set, good hip, cool colour with loads of bling.

not so good: for all the bling he's quite plain with a horsey head, front pasterns look a bit too sloped (but this could be that he looks to have quite long toes in the pics), he looks a bit toed out, a bit long in the body compared with the length of limb (nothing too yucky, just I prefer a shorter coupled pony).

He looks a good, useful sort!
    Last edited by Kerole; Jun. 10, 2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling issues

He looks elastic in his body, which I like. I also saw your other video of you ponying him and he's got a great walk. Would love to see his canter! Overall, apart from his toes that seem too long, his conformation leads him to a useful all-purpose sort. Woud also love to see him in harness and doing CDEs. My type of pony...

Thanks Kerole & goponies.

goponies - I don't have any video, but he does have a nice canter at liberty. And not that it matters, but one surprising thing about him is he's quite fast. Not that my other horses are speed demons by any stretch, but he toasts them when their running in the pasture, by a lot. Since he's the naughty baby of the herd, the ability to make a quick escape has kept him out of a lot of trouble - lol!

Thanks again.

I hope you don't mind if I give a little critique.

1. You need to take some good stand up pictures. Ears forward, good side view, neck kinda arched to show him off. Your pictures did nothing to make him look as attractive as he could be.

2. I kinda liked his trot. Sometimes on the lunge line they do not trot as well as when you are actually riding him. So, to me, I think he could be a hunter type pony. Someone said his walk was very good. I did not see that video.

3. On our farm, if he is only standing at 13.3 at 3 yrs old I would be VERY worried that he will not be big enough. I don't remember what you said his "other" part of the breeding is. I find that most all of ours don't grow much after they reach three. My smalls are about maxed out when they are two.

JMHO.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Thank you Sugarbrook.

So, in your experience, he has a good chance of remaining large pony size? I wasn't quite clear on what you meant. His other half is Colonial Spanish (Spanish Mustang). His grandsire is Daydream Believer's stallion Cayuse Gold (That's where he got the bling.) His Welsh sire is Crossgates Larasdan.

Here is link to 'walk video' that goponies referred to - last year being ponied.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNrB65mHPyk

She is referringg to the fact that he won't be large enough for a good large pony. 14.1 costs a LOT less than 14.2. 13.3 is going to have a hard time making it down the lines.

I like his walk video. I LOVE your gelding that is being so good to this youngster.

And, yes, that is what I meant .......13.3 is not a good size. Everyone wants "TOP OF THE LINE"......which in some cases is just plain silly. Some of those big ones can have a short stride and even with their size have a hard time getting down the lines.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Thanks Deuceswild & Sugarbrook for the explanation. Again, I don't know much about the hunter world. However, I have a friend who is USEF steward, so I 've heard the angst about measuring ponies. Most seem worried about going over - but I guess that's why.

And Sugarbrook - thank you about my Nokota gelding. Moonshine's a long-time exhibition horse on behalf of the Nokotas. We've retired from that, which is why he's out of shape. But he's still a star. :-)

I think he is lovely.... very elastic and athletic looking! His head is certainly "horsey" but unless you are doing the line classes, I don't personally mind a horsey head. He DOES look fairly immature (to me) so he might have some more growth to him... it has been my experience so far that the more mature they look when they are younger, they are more likely to finish at full size earlier. Thats just my personal observation and might not have any scientific merit to it

He is a cutie and I wouldn't say no to him in my barn
    www.muskokalakesconnemaras.com
    Wonderful ponies for family or show!

Red face

It is my experience that the more "put together" they look at a young age the more apt that they are about done growing. An example is if I have a small pony, and at his/her beginning two year old year, it looks all filled out and grown up......it most likely is.

Little story: Years ago I purchased a small filly who was a long yearling. Sight unseen. She had shown on the line at Devon and placed quite well in May. This is December. The morning after I got her, i took her out of the stall and measured her. She (she was to be a small) measured 12. 1 1/2" YIKES says I. I think I just bought the farm!! Flash forward.......she measured as a 6 yr old at 12.1 7/8. She looked totally finished when she came to me. Just sayin.....
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Quote Originally Posted by Mao View Post
    So, in your experience, he has a good chance of remaining large pony size? I wasn't quite clear on what you meant. His other half is Colonial Spanish (Spanish Mustang). His grandsire is Daydream Believer's stallion Cayuse Gold (That's where he got the bling.) His Welsh sire is Crossgates Larasdan.
    Are you 100% sure he is by Crossgates Larasan? http://venturestable.com/crossgates_larasan Are you the breeder of the pony, or did someone just tell you that was the sire? He doesn't look like a typical Larasan baby. The only reason I ask is because, every once in awhile, we have someone contact us, telling us they bought a Picasso youngster or a Sporting Chance youngster...and based on the age, location, etc., there is no way it is a foal by one of our stallions, so a dishonest seller has lied about the young ponies bloodlines in order to try and sell a pony for more money. If you are the breeder, then I guess you know for sure.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Thank you Muskokolalakes. I got him as a yearling and he hasn't changed dramatically with any big growth spurts - so its hard to say. The walk video was taken over 6 months ago compared to the lunging video. Hopefully he'll be like Sugarbrook's filly.

Daventry - I agree there doesn't seem much resemblance. But I'm fairly confident he is sired by Crossgates Larasdan. He came directly from Celtic Creek Ponies, who owned Crossgates Larasdan before he sold to Venture Stables. And I know with certainty my boy's Colonial Spanish dam is owned by the daughter of the owner of Celtic Creek. I was told it was an accidental breeding.

Below are pictures of his Colonial Spanish grandsire. I think this is a case where Spanish Mustang DNA trumped Welsh DNA. :-)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...ota/Cisco2.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...kota/Cisco.jpg
    Last edited by Mao; Jun. 12, 2013 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Add Pictures