The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm pretty sure if something is posted on FB it is not considered private. Also, Mike had nothing but compliments for her and her lovely coordinated outfit.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

4 members found this post helpful.

Yep - it wasn't Mike who posted anything negative. "a well color-coordinated rider & horse" - and they are.

Lovely rider, lovely horse. I WISH any of my FB riding photos looked as nice...

1 members found this post helpful.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...37471358_n.jpg I love this coat. I could get my pink color fix without offending the dressage queens.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Skyedragon, what a classy looking coat!

Quote Originally Posted by cleozowner View Post
    I'm pretty sure if something is posted on FB it is not considered private. Also, Mike had nothing but compliments for her and her lovely coordinated outfit.
    Look, this is a picture of dressage trainer Karen L. She has a name. She has a training business. If she wanted to paste her picture all over COTH, she would. If her name were in the OP, or if she had posted it herself, would anyone be making comments about her chest? She did, in fact, post this picture on her personal FB page, where people who know her or are her friends would comment, and if any were negative or offensive, she could remove them.

There was a long train wreck of a thread recently where MM posted a video he cribbed off FB and had no permission, and was eventually confronted by the rider in the video.

Has he learned? Obviously not.
    Last edited by Bristol Bay; Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:28 PM.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Look, this is a picture of dressage trainer *** She has a name. She has a training business. If she wanted to paste her picture all over COTH, she would.
    And it's really fantastic of you to include her full name in the post so that next time somebody googles her, this thread will come up, flattering comments and all. You're definitely helping the situation.

Also, I'm disgusted with the DQs on this forum. I think she looks great, and even if I didn't, I would keep it to myself instead of making negative comments about somebody else's bust on the internet. Remember what Thumper's mama taught him -- "If ya can't say somethin nice, don't say anythin at all."

I would rather a rider wear a fitted coat than something two sizes too big.

7 members found this post helpful.

Let's review FB privacy settings, shall we?

https://www.facebook.com/help/120939471321735

The user can select WHATEVER group he or she wants to see photos. The privacy setting on this photo is PUBLIC, which means everyone on the internet can see and comment on it. If the rider didn't wish the photo to be viewable by everyone, she could have kept it to only her group of friends (or even a small subset of her friends.)

Mike did nothing wrong here by sharing a PUBLIC photo and complimenting the rider on her lovely choice of colors for this particular horse

I think she looks lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    The privacy setting on this photo is PUBLIC, which means everyone on the internet can see and comment on it. If the rider didn't wish the photo to be viewable by everyone, she could have kept it to only her group of friends (or even a small subset of her friends.)
    The comments on FB are visible. They are a bunch of Likes, wows, oohs, and aahs. It does not appear to be a commercial page where non-friends can comment, but even so, she would be in control and could delete anything unflattering.

Here, not so much.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    The comments on FB are visible. They are a bunch of Likes, wows, oohs, and aahs. It does not appear to be a commercial page where non-friends can comment, but even so, she would be in control and could delete anything unflattering.

Here, not so much.
    If you post a photo as PUBLIC, you take what comes with it, which includes the possibility of having it linked elsewhere and commented on.

If you don't want that sort of exposure, then protect your photos.

Bristol Bay - I understand where you are coming from on this HOWEVER it is not MM who is doing anything other than COMPLIMENTING this rider & horse. Sucks to be a crime to highlight & compliment someone doing something right.

You have done a great job, though, of pointing out how remarkably rude & tacky some posters can be. Being critical is a far cry from critical thinking. Disagreeing with the coat color, style, sizing, choice based upon some legitimate issue (safety, for example, were it falling apart or dangerously sloppy too large) is just fine but some of the other comments are just classless. And as others have pointed out, it's not just this thread. If you want to be upset/angry/irritated with someone, be irritated with the ones who made the offensive comments. Perhaps, instead of worrying that the person in the photo doesn't have control over this thread and cannot delete the negative posts, we should all worry more about better policing ourselves and the filters we might normally employ were we not hidden behind a keyboard.

Seeing this photo sent me to find the original source where I found many other photos of some pretty fabulous riding on lovely, well turned out horses...found out I even have a good friend in common with this trainer who lives just down the road from an old polo buddy. How unfortunate that this person receives such comments on COTH when it would seem that, though I'm sure she's not perfect, she runs a pretty darn professional and successful business.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    If you post a photo as PUBLIC, you take what comes with it, which includes the possibility of having it linked elsewhere and commented on.

If you don't want that sort of exposure, then protect your photos.
    I guess this would then apply equally to all those photography proofs ... all those crying foul & theft just don't comprehend the ramifications of PUBLIC posting

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...37471358_n.jpg I love this coat. I could get my pink color fix without offending the dressage queens.
    Yep...I like the color of this one better. I have a grey...now almost white and I like the charcoal gray and the pink accent looks quite nice.

Susan

It actually belongs to fb, not the rider, so it would be fb coming after MM, not the rider.

Otherwise gorgeous pair!

Quote Originally Posted by cleozowner View Post
    Skyedragon, what a classy looking coat!
    Pink is my color, but pink and dressage don't exactly go together. I think that coat is a totally cool way to show some color without deviating too much from the traditional and acceptable turn out for dressage.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    I guess this would then apply equally to all those photography proofs ... all those crying foul & theft just don't comprehend the ramifications of PUBLIC posting
    Yes, that's true. Which is why, of course, so many professional photographers only post on FB with fairly flagrant watermarks.
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

This is one of those classic threads where the comments say so much about the nature of the person posting!

I think they are lovely

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    LOVE!!!!!!!!! I'd like to do something similar sans-tails.

I think the picture in the original post is lovely too. And I like the fit, too.

I would also gladly take the horse in either picture...lovely mounts.