The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Farnley Belshazzar

I have a fancy (but small...15.2 hh), good moving, great jumping 7/8 TB mare and I want to produce a quality KID' S pony hunter (great brain a must). Does Belzhazzar fit the bill here? Please share your thoughts/ experiences.

Absolutely! He is one of THE top, and mos popular, pony stallions. Great minds, talent, easy to deal with. He is the whole package.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

1 members found this post helpful.

What's the other breed in the mare? I only say that because she is 15.2 and FB is 12.3. My large pony is top of the line 14.2 and is by 11.2 stallion and similar sized mare. Usually a 15.1/15.2 hand mare and a small pony stallion will make a large, but it can be dicey. Who is your mare's sire?

A foal can go the size of the mare or the stallion.

Sometimes the foal can get even bigger... 15'3hh mare x 15'2hh stallion = 16'3hh monstrosity!

Ok wow I never saw the later replies here. Mare's other 1/8th is Trakehner-by an Abdullah grandson. Stallion small but his dam and sure both 16 h plus. My mares full sister is also small but their full bro is a bit bigger. I do not want a HONY!!

And our Belshazzar, out of a small TB mare, is now 15hh.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

I've had mixed results with his offspring and how quiet (or not quiet) they've been. Two out of the same mare by him with totally opposite dispositions. Others have been dead quiet while a few have been spooky.

Did you post over in Breeding? There are some very knowledgeable pony breeders over there.

Mine was off a small TB approx. 15.1 h. I got a hot little forward thinking, forward moving very light bodied medium pony! She was a spicy thang!!!! We don't have her anymore. She was a knock out to look at, but just a pistol!

Expensive, time consuming option - but as a breeding program you might need two generations, IF you get a filly hony. Sometimes the large genes just show up. First foals are sometimes smaller - all a crap shoot, tho.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I can say that I'm probably the most familiar with his get other than the man who stands him.
    I've bred to Farnley Belshazzar 11 times. Had two by him this year. Besides him being my hands down favorite pony stallion on the face of the earth (and I've bred a couple), he has amazingly wonderful get. Superior minds and way of going. They all jump the best and move the best.

I'd be surprised if he's available next year. After all, he's an 1983 model. Every mare bred to him this year did get in foal however!

With the height behind your mare, I'd go for a smaller stallion. Let me know if you'd like some suggestions!
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

I'd be surprised if he's available next year. After all, he's an 1983 model. Every mare bred to him this year did get in foal however!
    Oh man, somehow this made me feel old. Here's hoping my mother continues to back off on the grounds that my sister had two sets of twins in three years.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

2 members found this post helpful.

I bred my large pony mare to Belshazzar and got a lovely filly this year. She is really pretty! It looks like the filly will be a large, but she gets the height from her dam, not from Belshazzar.