The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What saddles might work for flat work and jumping (BN/N)?

My little guy (14.3 Welsh/Holsteiner) needs his own saddle though we are currently making do in my OTTB's dressage saddle (little guy does NOT like the jump saddle ). He's got withers more typical of a TB complete with hollows and a back the length you'd expect on a 14.3 hony. I've got three fantastic fitters in the area but both mainly sell 3 brands of saddles: County, Black Country, Bliss, and Custom Saddlery. We can probably fit him in one of those but for some reason the BC saddles' balance points don't work for me. Custom has great dressage saddles and if that was all we needed then there wouldn't be any need for this post, but they are somewhat limited in their jump saddle models (though OTTB has agreed to be jumped in the Monte Carlo and one more day for trot sets is allowed but after that we go back to the dressage saddle and life with Rasta continues on course). Bliss hasn't been around long enough for me to feel comfortable going with them yet though we'll certainly try one. There a several County saddles that could work (I've had a Stabilizer before and was happy for the reason I was using it - however, need a 17" or 16.5 in that model). I'd like to buy used as the little guy is only 5 and will likely change shape some more (he already has in the 7 weeks he's been with me). I need something I can do flatwork in as well as little jumps. Any thoughts? I probably haven't put enough info up but can if you need more. THX!!!!
    Last edited by RunForIt; Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Hey lady! Long time no talk!

Since you like a more forward balance point, you'd probably like the saddles that I hate . Have you considered a Bates Caprilli? My friend's daughter has one, and it is wonderful for flatwork for me, but I hate it for jumping as I like to sit back and down, and it keeps my leg directly underneath me, which lends to me pinching and pivoting over my knee. I know you can find them used for pretty cheap (she bought hers for $900). Plus, you have the advantage of the changeable gullets in case the new guy changes shape.

I like the French saddles for balance but not for jumping, so could you look down that route, if you find something cheap enough? Ebay often has Arc de Triomphes and other such for a lot less money than a new Devoucoux or Antares would have. Just a few thoughts.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

I agree that a lot of the french and french style saddles have are comfortable for flat work and jumping. These would include Devoucoux (I liked my Oreka for both), Wise-Air (my current saddle that I love, love, love for jumping and am quite comfortable flatting in), Voltaire, Antarees, CWD, Arc D'Triomphe, Childeric http://www.pelham-saddlery.com/jumpi...Used15638.html. Also, the older County Profits were really comfortable for me both flatting and jumping. There is one here, although I got one for $900 http://www.pelham-saddlery.com/jumpi...Used13706.html. There is a County Extreme at Middleburg for $850, but it might be too forward for flatting comfortably http://www.middleburgtack.com/invent...802DAE6F51C905. Another thought would be Barnsby. The Milton could work as might the Espirit http://www.pelham-saddlery.com/jumpi...16172used.html. Detente is another wool-flocked brand that might be worth a try. https://advancedsaddlefit.com/store/...t-jump-saddle/
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

If you don't have anyone in your area who has saddles that suit, have you considered working long-distance through templates and photos? Panther Run Saddlery and Equestrian Imports have a lot of experience and success this way, and both offer a one-week trial on any saddle they have. Panther Run has Albion and Loxley saddles, and Equestrian Imports has Albion, Prestige and Amerigo.

1 members found this post helpful.

County Eventer
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

There is another COTH'er right now that has my Albion K2 that was rebuilt to fit the Buzz-monster -- short back with a bit of a dip, hollows behind the shoulder blades, wither but wide-er -- not OTTB shark fin. It would be too big for you (18") but it would give you an idea of whether it would work for merlin.

I can check with her and see if she will be working at any of Poplar's upcoming dressage shows. I don't know if you want to go that far to try one, but it might work
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

I use my Devoucoux Chiberta for all phases and it works just fine! (We just moved up to Training)

New horses?

j/k.. I never have anything useful to add to saddle fit threads, I do all 3 phases in a Pessoa and hope that the dressage judge will take pitty on me and think I'm too poor to buy a dressage saddle (which I am.. and I hate them).

Good luck!

I always say it is easier to do dressage in a jump saddle than jump in a dressage saddle.

That being said, some jump saddles are easier to flat in than others. Mine? With the uber forward flap? Makes flat work beyond stretchy, fluffy work or pre-jumping warm up a little tough. Something with a less forward flap, though, will be more conducive to lengthening your stirrups a few holes and riding more dressagey. Since you're looking just to do BN/N sized stuff, you probably don't necessarily need the OMG forward flap like I do. So, look for things that are well balanced and fit him well that put you in a good, secure position to jump in (that would be my number 1 priority), but that you don't feel like you have to fight to sit up in with a longer leg. Probably look more for things that are "show jumpy" or "equitationy" and less cross country.

Can't help on brands. You know I'm a County fan.

1 members found this post helpful.

I plan on eventing in my Courbette Optima, at least at first. It has long, not-so-forward flaps. I currently jump in it.

Have you tried the Bliss jump saddles? That's what I ended up with for my princess in a pea chestnut TB with giant long withers and a 16" spot to put the saddle. I have no problems doing dressage in a jump saddle so long as the balance is right for me. Bliss has a more forward balance point like a French saddle.

I have a Bruno de Heusch cc saddle with forward flap and it's VERY comfy for both jumping and working on the flat. I got it brand new on closeout at Dover for a fraction of the prices I see online now. I have to have a forward flap due to my freakishly long thighs and my horse's exuberant jumping style.
    I don't know why Dover isn't carrying it anymore, it's a great saddle. It's similar to this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHst8Jk126E
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I'm liking my Pessoa quite a bit. I have the monoflap so it's not *as* great for flat work, but I have two students with the dual flap version (Legacy?) and I REALLY like it for flat and jumping.

One is Rion's new mom, and he approves of it (and he's quite picky) and one has two draft crosses- a belgian/QH and a perch/TB- they couldn't have more different backs and it fits both on medium with a half pad on the belgian/QH.

Doc and Brandy share mine (we went down a half seat size to accommodate Doc's back) although Doc is going to need an extra shim beyond the half pad, as we're jumping higher it's starting to slide a bit. Ideally he would go in their alto panels but Brandy can't go in those, so it goes. Shims and half pads!

Anyway, it might be a good saddle until he quits changing. Mine is wool flock and has the changeable gullets.

I'm using my prestige eventer for flatwork and jumping on my TB. Works really well for me.
    Yes, I ride a pony. No, he's not a re-sale project...
    http://fancyponypants.blogspot.com

If you like the fit/feel of County saddles, you might want to drop an email to Matt at Heritage in the UK. He made me a jump saddle earlier this year that fits and rides almost identical to my old county Innovation. My saddle is excellent quality and was less than half the price of a new county, custom made for horse and for me.

I am happy to sing his praises and show anyone photos of my saddles. They're really just tops.

And don't forget to check www.hastilowusa.com. Great prices on used saddles and several of them will work for you
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I love my Stubben Roxane. I foxhunt and flat in it. I trail ride in it and do endurance rides. I have a dressage saddle, but don't love it nearly as much as the Roxane.

Two other options, Northrun Ashland (I and II) saddles can be found quite reasonably. I regret selling mine that fit my smaller OTTB well. I liked it for flatwork. Another option is a Smith Worthington Avalon. Well balanced. None other than Karen Stives liked it for flatwork, and she was smaller too.

I event and see people all the time doing all 3 phases in a close contact saddle. My son did all phases in his BC Quantum. You may find you need one with more panel depth in front, such as the BC Ricochet, if your horse has more of the TB traits. As long as you feel balanced in the saddle and are comfortable lengthening your leathers for flat work, you should be fine. An AP saddle such as the BC Wexford is also a good choice. We are happy to look at your info as we do many long distance fittings at no charge and offer a generous trial policy as well. That way you could get a feel if a saddle works for you in both flat and jumping. www.trumbullmtn.com.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird660 View Post
    I event and see people all the time doing all 3 phases in a close contact saddle. My son did all phases in his BC Quantum. You may find you need one with more panel depth in front, such as the BC Ricochet, if your horse has more of the TB traits. As long as you feel balanced in the saddle and are comfortable lengthening your leathers for flat work, you should be fine. An AP saddle such as the BC Wexford is also a good choice. We are happy to look at your info as we do many long distance fittings at no charge and offer a generous trial policy as well. That way you could get a feel if a saddle works for you in both flat and jumping. www.trumbullmtn.com.
    WOW!!!! Thanks so much for chiming in! Everyone I know who has worked with Trumbull Mtn has done nothing but rave about how helpful, knowledgeable, and skillful you are.... I've got a friend with a new Ricochet and she LOVES it! You truly may hear from me. Thanks so much!!!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan