The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Studs for jumpers??

I'm planning on showing my horse next year in the low child adult at the A/AA shows in my area and about half of them have their jumper classes on the grass and I was wondering if anyone uses the studs for jumper classes in the grass! Thank you!

I use studs for every class (whether on grass or not), but my horse is a footing weeny.

Yes. Especially for classes running in the mornings when there can still be a bit of moisture or while it's raining. Any little thing you can do to help your horse not slide around while on grass is a help. They're easy to get in and out and a bit of show sheen + towel cleans them off easy peasy

Edit: Bonus points if you can train your horse to rest on his toe, bottom of hoof facing out, so you can get caulks in and out without holding the hoof. Got the caulked horses at my last job to do this. They always got extra cookies for saving my back!
    Last edited by JumpsJumps; Jun. 10, 2013 at 02:46 AM.

Always. Corks for every class on grass. The size depends on the footing (wet, dry, muddy)

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    Always. Corks for every class on grass. The size depends on the footing (wet, dry, muddy)
    THIS!!!

Thank you guys so much! I definitely am going to use the studs. My horse is currently bare foot but I'm more than happy to put 4 shoes on her to help her any. She's usually very sure footed but she has slipped before jumping in the grass and I just want to help her any I can!

I've also seen barefoot horses slip and have falls on grass! For me personally, it's caulks all the time on grass (hunters and jumpers), and it varies for which ones I use for the conditions (small spikes in front and behind for hard ground, right upto large bullets front and back for mud). I will also caulk up on some "all weather footing" if they have a good solid base for the caulks to stick into. I've seen some horrible falls on these types of surfaces if they aren't maintained correctly!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I am going to also chime in with the advice to use the appropriate studs for the appropriate conditions, and when in doubt, I prefer "under studding" to "over studding." While the grip studs give you is necessary and can be wonderful, it can also put a fair amount of strain on tendons and such because of that same grip.

The grass ring that I showed on regularly as a junior I knew well and it made it simple to stud for - generally small studs all around in the morning/dewy grass; small square studs behind only for normal days and small pointy studs behind for hard ground. It was not a ring prone to slickness, but it kept the hind end in line for pushing off to jump and tight turns. I don't love putting studs in up front for a variety of reasons, including belly guards and the stress they can induce on landing, but they are a life saver in slick situations.

Ditto to whoever said to teach your horse to rest its toe on the ground for easy removal/insertion. Remember if they are walking on hard/paved surfaces it can change the hoof angle dramatically, so try to stay on softer ground or put them in right before warming up. The less time they are in, the better.