The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Woo Hoo! Mr. Uncatchable Came to Me!

He did it! Against every one of his best instincts, he did it! Parker came right up to me and stood perfectly to be "caught" and haltered in the field. No treats. No tricks. The real deal!

I went out with a halter and lead rope in plain view, no treats in my pockets, no grain bucket. I just wanted to see if he would come to me on his own.

I clucked to him.

He walked right up to me, but when I took a step to loop the lead rope around his neck, he walked away. He didn't jerk and run, he just turned and walked. Sigh.

"Okay," I said. "That's alright, let's try again."

And I clucked again.

He turned and came back. I knew he was going to do it, I could just see it in his eyes ... he was thinking, "I know this is not a good idea. This never goes well. But ..."

He walked right up, I looped the lead rope around his neck, and he dipped his nose into the halter. I thought I would pee my pants!

I patted him and took his wee little face in my hands and told him what a very good boy he was. Then I took the halter off and that was that.

Then I walked back into the barn and whooped and hollered and almost cried! (okay, not "almost" ... I did cry) What a moment!

I really think this little pony has so much inside him that he wants to let out, but he just doesn't trust anybody yet. Once we turn that corner ... I just can't WAIT to see what he's really got!

17 members found this post helpful.

Default Nice ! Be Proud !

NICE !

How much fun was that !!!!!

Be Proud !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

4 members found this post helpful.

Yay!!!!!! That pony is going to prove what an awesome little guy he can be. Congrats on having the patience to do this correctly from the get go. Can't wait for more stories and pictures

2 members found this post helpful.

You did super good there!
    I would have had some treats to thank him once he was loose again and still standing there, but you may not want to go there with four horses there to then start fussing over you as a treat resource.

That Parker seems to be learning in a hurry, as a good, smart student would.

3 members found this post helpful.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Oh that is wonderful!!
    Full-time bargain hunter.

1 members found this post helpful.

That's wonderful KR. What a blessing that he was sent to you.

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post
    He did it! Against every one of his best instincts, he did it! Parker came right up to me and stood perfectly to be "caught" and haltered in the field. No treats. No tricks. The real deal!

I went out with a halter and lead rope in plain view, no treats in my pockets, no grain bucket. I just wanted to see if he would come to me on his own.

I clucked to him.

He walked right up to me, but when I took a step to loop the lead rope around his neck, he walked away. He didn't jerk and run, he just turned and walked. Sigh.

"Okay," I said. "That's alright, let's try again."

And I clucked again.

He turned and came back. I knew he was going to do it, I could just see it in his eyes ... he was thinking, "I know this is not a good idea. This never goes well. But ..."

He walked right up, I looped the lead rope around his neck, and he dipped his nose into the halter. I thought I would pee my pants!

I patted him and took his wee little face in my hands and told him what a very good boy he was. Then I took the halter off and that was that.

Then I walked back into the barn and whooped and hollered and almost cried! (okay, not "almost" ... I did cry) What a moment!

I really think this little pony has so much inside him that he wants to let out, but he just doesn't trust anybody yet. Once we turn that corner ... I just can't WAIT to see what he's really got!
    Good training!

Why didn't you drop trow and pee?.... just teaching him one more thing while he was haltered in the field. Some day, he might need to know how to do that. My horse does.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

lol wonderful KR!! Bravo! I just love your stories!

SWEET!!! What a nice story :-)

Love this. Great job!!! Totally can relate to crying over something like that.

Isn't that an awesome feeling? I knew he would be putty in your hands in no time!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

See, look KR, It didn't even take a year! Yay! Good for you. I think often we forget that just because horses are well cared for, which thank goodness Parker was, does not mean they are well loved. You are teaching Parker that attention from people means more than a saddle and bridle. I bet he'll figure it out very quickly!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Doing the Happy Dance for you & Parker! : D
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

How wonderful! I bet the other boys had a little talk with him.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Thanks for helping me enjoy the moment! None of my family or friends would understand ... this is one of those things I just don't post on Facebook either.

I completely agree that Parker was clearly well cared for, and extremely well-trained. But, with his previous owners he had become the "extra" horse that they put guests and inexperienced riders on. You can tell when you ride him that he has had some YAHOO! riders. We strongly suspect he's been kicked hard and slapped with the reins by people who learned to ride by watching the movies! He also has a deep indentation across his nose where a halter was clearly left on too long -- perhaps constantly.

He is amazingly calm and sweet, but understandably skeptical about people and their intentions.

In this regard, he reminds me so much King. However, King passed beyond skeptical and was affirmed in his disdain for humankind in general by the time I met him. Thankfully, he, too came around and I will never forget the lady who remarked, "King is so changed! He didn't even try to kill me!"

3 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, Parker! What a good, smart boy.

i am in the same boat with my Auction horse. But he has gotten a lot better. Good Luck continuing..

Perfectly executed! You are going to melt that little guy's skeptical heart. I'm certain of it.

Default TWO DAYS IN A ROW!

Okay, today was a replay!

The only problem today was Elijah ... he was mugging me for attention and I could tell Parker wanted no part of being "caught" with Elijah so near (as in, right on top of us). Still, Parker did not dart and run, he just kept his distance.

So, I put Elijah away in a stall and went back. Again, lead rope and halter in full view, no treats, no begging.

One cluck, and he came right up. He knew he was going to get haltered, he didn't even turn his head. Stood perfectly still. His reward this time was more love and pats ... and walk out to the round pen for some FRESH grass and a change of scenery under the cottonwood trees. He was pretty happy about that.

I'm still not ready to turn him loose on 17 acres ... but we are DEFINITELY making progress.

I'm really happy with him, and I think he's pretty happy with me, too!

4 members found this post helpful.

I find myself really looking forward to your posts! Such good stuff.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor