The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Generally people move to the "out there" for 2 reasons: for peace and quiet or so they don't have to stay quiet. And it can be a tough row to hoe when the quiet lover has a noise maker move within ear-shot. But as long as the noise maker is staying within county regs on noise...best you can do is to go make firm and fast friends with them. And don't mention the noise right away or they'll definitely figure out why you're making friends. I almost completely surrounded by state forest. I LOVE the quiet, the wildlife, etc. 2 of my neighbors have teen boys who have ATVs and at one point they had fun by ripping in circles around the end of their driveways. Come to find out that was because their own parents couldn't stand the noise, LOL! But that location made the noise in MY house loud. The boys are good boys, but love noise. So we compromised....no ripping around for 8 straight hours at the end of the drive nearest my house and I won't pop them with paintballs. I know that sounds attackative, but the boys find it hilarious as do their parents. These are the same boys who drive those noisy things right up to my door after or even during storms to see if I'm okay or need any help with anything. The "big boys" with the trucks nearby softened up and toned down the burn outs and excess noise when I started baking for them. (and saved one from a "scary" fisher) I don't say a word to the neighbor with the rooster that has no snooze button and can't tell sunrise from late morning from noon from sunset. And I laugh with my other neighbor when she got 2 mini-donks that LOVE the sound of their own voices. I've had guests jump a few feet in the air and ask me where the T-Rex was, LMAO! And yeah, sometimes the excess noise in my "quiet" home in the middle of the woods is annoying. But they have the same rights to make noise as I do to enjoy the quiet. But with the right baked items and going to hang out on porches with iced tea or offering to help with stuff and making good neighbors (even with the types of neighbors you'd normally not go make friends with) makes life sooo much more enjoyable. Make noisy neighbors into good neighbors and friends...because we never know when we'll need a good neighbor. And having a neighbor mad at us can make life really suck.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

10 members found this post helpful.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Quote Originally Posted by KSquared View Post
    I wouldn't paint with such a broad paint brush Tom. I have a very nice fenced in yard for my corgi. That is far from a pit bull on a chain and my kids drive my ATV and are very respectful and are not allowed to go over 8 mph on the ATV and must stay in the low setting.
    I don't think you understood what I said. These are families with dogs on a chain in their yard-no fences. The kids ride all over the countryside, and anywhere they want to go. I met one on our road one day, and I'm pretty sure he was going over 70 mph-with not even a helmet. I don't mind anyone riding anything, as long as they are respectful. I don't mind the noise. If they stay off our property, they are a mile away. Motor boats make most of the noise here. We had donuts cut all in our front field a couple of weekends ago. Where does any of this cover you with my "brushstroke". I said, "around here, anyone who has a Pit Bull on a chain in their yard, has kids running all over the country on 4-wheelers". It's true. I ran some kids off one day for about the 10 time riding, and cutting up turns on our trails. After that, I went to talk to their parents. Pit Bull in yard on chain. Mother's reply, "them ain't your woods. Them's God's woods." If you fit in that category, and were offended, good. If you don't fit in that category, and were still offended.......... For whatever reason, they never came back. paragraphs still aren't working for me on these forums. http://www.englishforeveryone.org/To...prehension.htm

I just read it as anyone who has an ATV has a pit bull in the yard and kids running wild. I am feeling a bit snarky today, so my apologies for that. While that may be true more often than not, not everyone who has an ATV and kids are wild redneckers who are disrespectful that is all that I was trying to point out.

Again my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crone of Cottonmouth County View Post

There's really no escape from noisy testosterone-poisoned jacknuts in the country unless you have 20,000 acres and your own zip code.
    True dat.

I live on 90 acres, three sides are surrounded by state / county parks / national forest - thousands of acres of it.

But I can count on hearing motorcycles revving and blasting by every weekend (they start about 8 am on Saturdays) - followed by the roar of super cars (and then you have the occasional screeching and colliding sounds - followed by the sirens, we average around 3 fatalities a year).

Then you have the neighbors that like to shoot - the shots can be heard echoing up the canyon.

And then you have the sounds of dirt bikes and chain saws.

But MOST of the time I DO have peace and quiet!

(enjoyed a lovely night out by the fire last night, just crickets, foxes yipping and the fire)

2 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Yuppers--we have the "firearms enthusiasts" to our north, which makes outdoors activities both annoying and potentially dangerous (as the whine of bullets through the woods has made me duck and call 911 on two occasions!). Our nearest neighbor had his next door neighbor shoot a hole in his barn...while he was in it working on his tractor!

Meanwhile, the neighboring farm to our east has been turned from a first class TB breeding/racing farm to a....wait for it....thrash-metal band rehearsal space! Yay! They are about 1/3 of a mile as the crow flies from us and when they roll open those barn doors, all the neighbors become part of their audience. Rock on! Gag! I've gotten to know the non-emergency number for the sheriff quite well, as well as our county noise ordinances.

Another neighbor (we're sort of semi-rural/suburban, with big acreages side by side with 1-5 acre spots), rides their dirt bike in their lot...around and around and around...

The best though is the helicopter flight school across the river from us--wheee! hovering helicopters from 8 am to 4 pm. Sigh... our pilot friend said that they were probably violating air space rules by being too low. What's one more noisy addition to our area is what I say.

I guess I'm a "peace and quiet" kind of neighbor who tries hard to not hop on the tractor before 8 on weekends, and is considerate of other folks need for privacy and quiet. I really do fear the shooting neighbors...they seem to have unlimited ammo and not a lot of common sense!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I don't live in the country, but in a small village. I'm awake now because our neighbour catches a ride to his night job with a friend whose car has.no.muffler. They find it necessary to have a conversation upon arrival....and have to yell over the load car engine. why can't they talk on the ride home???? why under my window at 3.37 in the morning?
    I'm tempted to offer to pay for a new muffler (what are they? 39.95?) just so I can get my sleep...

1 members found this post helpful.

As someone who has experienced this, I really, really feel your pain.

When we bought our land, we met our neighbors on our one side and their son, and his teeny, weeny cute "wittle" dirt bike. Fast forward 10 years and it had morphed into a nationally ranked dirt bike rider and his many, many friends. Their trails stretched for a few miles, all skirting our property. 4 or 5 nights a week, there could be 13 or so riders, WAA, WAAing for hours. I would be in my barn in the summer, doing my stalls and I couldn't even hear the radio. In fact, one neighbor started a petition to shut it down. I did not join it. My reasoning was that THEY were here first and they were always wonderful about not riding when I called them about an outdoor party we were planning.

And then, the most wonderful thing happened. Their son grew up. And got a big-boy job. And told me that he didn't want to risk injuries anymore. The best part was that they opened their trails to me for riding. And now I have this terrific network of trails right next door to me. And I don't have to haul anywhere.

Every once in a while, someone over there fires up a bike and I feel that same tension. But it's nothing like the motorcross he!! I lived through for years.
    Best of luck to you and I hope that your situation calms down.

7 members found this post helpful.

I did a carriage wedding last month in the country, at the cattle farm of the bride's family... the plan was to take the bride and her father for a quiet country drive before the ceremony, and then depart after with the bride and groom.

The family had prepared for the outdoor wedding for weeks... new gravel driveway, perfectly edged lawns, fresh mulch, new farm sign, blooming perennials, hanging baskets... the day before the white seating was arranged in the yard... white tulle bunting festooned their farm fence- from the main road- up the side road and then up the driveway... it was SO BEAUTIFUL...

I pick up the bride and her dad and we set out down the road- a road which is effectively a dead-end because there is a bridge out and being worked on... as we proceed I hear a shot ahead of us... and another and another. Yes, someone is doing target practice on a houseless hunting property with a semiautomatic rifle in the woods about 1/5 mile from the wedding. My horse is up, but together... no time like the present to learn to work around rapid gunfire right? This "neighbor" shot off about 400 rounds in the 20 minutes we were doing the pre wedding ride.

Unless this shooter was a paratrooper- they HAD to have driven past 1/4 mile of festooned fencing and 300 white chairs in their neighbor's lawn. Although I was not hit by any bullets- I WAS BLOWN AWAY.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by KSquared View Post
    I think that depends Tru.. Is your Pit on a chain in the yard? Do you have kids? Are they barefoot in cut off jeans? I think you need the kids too to have the ATV.

Now that I think about it.. I have the ATV and kids, am I required to get a Pit now?
    If you have all this, then you also need a trampoline in your front yard.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Oh a trampoline! I never thought of that and with all the rocks and boulders I live on that would be perfect. I have to get rid of all my helmets though cause where is the risk if they bounce too high and land on their helmeted heads on a rock?

The trampoline has to be broken though right? So I better drag it home when I buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Unless they are in your view you don't know what your kids are doing on that 4 wheeler.
    Exactly, and YES the parents are to blame when there is an accident! Horrible double fatality here by my house, out of town kids 16 & 14 given ATV access unsupervised, 1 stalled ATV in the middle of the road just over the rise of a tiny hill on heavily traveled road; other kid got out in the middle of the road and tried to attach tow rope, driver came over the rise tried to swerve, flipped and skidded down the highway. One kid DOA, the other died within a week. It makes my heart hurt even now. Parents tried to sue driver who was also injured and just an unlucky arrival on the scene in my opinion, there was NO WAY he could have avoided them.

We are looking to move to an area in upstate NY and having no nearby neighbors is a priority. Because we have Jack Russells, and we plan on getting a few more. Not that we will tolerate nuisance barking. One property looks ideal...except when you zoom out there seems to be something less than a mile away that can't be anything other than a BMX track. Worse, an aerial shot from three years ago shows there has been a definite increase in usage. If while we're looking at the house, someone is riding we'll know how loud it can get. I'm also not above knocking on the door and flat out asking how often there will be events held there.

In the same vein, another cute house and property had no neighbors on either side but a KOA campsite on the other side of the narrow river that was the back border of the property. Checked out the campsite website and found they host music festivals every.other.weekend. from May to September. Cut that one right off our list.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Will admit I haven't read all the input, but at both my boarding barn, and (!) the 'farmette', there are adjoining neighbors who do have ATVs and at the boarding barn do use the power lines that also adjoin....Its always made me think of: coexisting with ATVers as in: lets face it...IF you could safely ride the same trails when they are NOT on them, they really do help keep trails open and useable. I have often wondered of a mutual agreement set up? of: Lets say everyone utilizes and trys to help maintain same trails...with whatever ? agreement works for the two concerns: maybe? odd days = horses, even days = ATVs, or...half month/half month, or ??? whatever scenario will work for both groups? Gives them the all clear and gives you the all clear as well as a mutual care for trail work on both groups? (just sayin?)
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

I wouldn't say anything. There may come a day when horses get loose etch. Chances are, the newness will wear off. I got used to living near a gun range and a dog kennel Andy neighbors got used to horses.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

I do love my neighbors....

We all have noisy kids on four-wheelers, dirt bikes, and golf carts; horses, skateboards, and learning to drive; alpacas, dogs, horses; shooting, a not-that-great teenaged rock band, and our noisy Freightliner M2.

Seriously, it's quiet probably 20 hours a day; that's enough for me. The only noise I can't tolerate is excessive, pointless barking. One call to that neighbor, and the dogs go inside with an apology. He is lovely about it, which makes those odd times they are barking, and he isn't home, tolerable.

I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    My across the street neighbor tried to protest our building an indoor arena on our property. She said, and I quote "It will block my view of the I-75 freeway and if there are more horses on the property, I'm worried about the smell".

This came from a woman who has 40 head of cattle right outside her bedroom windows. I kid you not.
    Snort
    pot...meet kettle...
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Mistyblue offers wonderful advice. We live in a peaceful little neighborhood of horse people. We all make noise in some form (tractors, lawn mowers, one neighbor's teenage son has a dirtbike, atvs), but we do have neighbors a long way up the road who own 150 acres for their son and his friends to use as a major dirtbike speedway. It's far enough away that it isn't so terrible and we decided to make friends with them. Lo and behold - they are wonderful to us and we get to ride all over their amazing property on their trails! They even stop riding if they see us coming and let us use their land. I am glad to put up with the noise as they are allies.

Now what to do about the people who bought the cute house on the corner and stopped caring for it...