The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ugh....ATV's!!!

Just a rant.....we have new neighbors catty corner to us- their land and ours back up to each other. They moved in 3 months ago. Their son bought the house on 5 acres and his parents live there full time. No problem, they are a nice retired couple. This is all a rural area, gravel roads, volunteer fire department, etc.

I hope what is going on this weekend is not a taste of what to come....the family, younger members, have been driving an ATV on the property all.weekend.long. The drone of the engine can be heard inside the house. Ugh. I don't mind the proofing for the horses of an ATV zooming through 3' tall brome grass for ONE weekend (see, I try to find the positive) but I sure hope this won't be every weekend because the peace and quiet is gone.

Rant over.

Also -- isn't that new shooting range close to you as well? What's up with that, is it ever going to open?

I am sorry about your peace and quiet.

If it does continue, you'll probably learn to get used to it. My neighbors have a dirt bike track and ride a few times a week--they're MUCH louder than a 4 wheeler, and I barely notice. Interestingly enough, I am more bothered by their ridiculously loud donkey!! (Mostly because it sounds like something is dying lol).

Try to think of it from their point of view--they bought land and want to be able to do as they please! If this is the first time it's happened since they moved, I wouldn't be too worried that they're going to do it daily.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

3 members found this post helpful.

KR- shooting range is on hold for need of staff funding.

Slicat- ha, ha- a neighbor on the other catty corner has a donkey. I love the sounds of nature. Man made noise, not so much. Maybe I can call some of dear daughters old roping friends and host a 11:00 p.m. roping.

I feel your pain. I live in a suburb that used to be farmland, and the people up the street think that it's appropriate to let the under 10 year old crowd ride ATVs all summer, trespass on private land (that was stopped by the developer very quickly), without helmets or protection, with friends perched on the back, and at all hours of the day and night. It's definitely going to get someone killed, especially because the kids ride on the public main road that has a lot of traffic.

I know someday I'll come home from work and there will be an ambulance pulling away, and a bunch of Sheriff's Deputies doing reports, and the parents will wonder who is at fault. But it will be their fault because they bought the ATVs, let little kids use them, and didn't monitor their kids. I'm hoping that their house is rented out or they were tenants, because I haven't seen the ATVs in a while, and they used to be out trying to become road kill on the nights and weekends after school until a month or so ago.
    Last edited by JanM; Jun. 10, 2013 at 08:54 PM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Sometimes I wish people were required to make the decibel sound with their MOUTH and LUNGS

for example... you are in a lovely shaded neighborhood and some dude is out blowing a cupful of grass clipping off the sidewalk with a leaf blower... (never heard of a broom) "Excuse me sir... could you please turn off that machine for a second and just scream "WAAAHHHH WAHHHH WAAAHHH" while walking up and down in front of your house?" Do you feel like an ass? yeah well...

6 members found this post helpful.

My closest neighbors, a third of a mile away, are townies who only come out on weekends. The teenage son hosts frequent 24-hour blowouts in the summer involving liquor, semi-automatic weapons, and a fleet of ATVs.

Arabian mares and proximate gunfire: that's a winning combination, let me tell you.

I call the sheriff, the party quiets down for half an hour, the of course it gradually revs back up again.

There's really no escape from noisy testosterone-poisoned jacknuts in the country unless you have 20,000 acres and your own zip code.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

9 members found this post helpful.

Get a rooster, a peacock and a turkey gobbler.....the rooster will be nice and noisy every morning, the peacock all day every day and the turkey all spring long lol.
    Not a whole lot you can do other than hope the newness will wear off and it will be very infrequent. I feel for you!
    Kerri

5 members found this post helpful.

100% obnoxious, I agree. Some people seem to be oblivious to noise, others like you and me find it intensely annoying. Sets my teeth on edge! Add to the list: jet skis, leaf blowers (a neighbor feels the need to go up on his roof to blow off a few random leaves?!), weed whackers, loud motorcycles, endlessly barking dogs. I used to live in a big city that I swear was quieter than this outer, outer suburban spot, mostly due to the bizarrely anal neighbors here who VACUUM their lawns and power-wash their vinyl-clad houses!

You might try mentioning to the couple that it's loud to you. They may be focused on the grandkids enjoyment and not even think about you. I tend to speak up myself... sometimes it helps.

I too totally feel yr pain!

2 members found this post helpful.

I also would speak to the older couple, in a nice way, and explain your love of the peace and quiet that brought you out there.

After that, there's not much you can do if they're not running the public roads.

If they just got it the newness of the ATV will wear off. We got one a coupe years ago and we rode it all the time driving the kids (Who always wear helmets) up and down the driveway. We use it a lot now, but not nearly as much when we first got it. I use it to drag the arena, feed the horses, collect wood, to go down and check the mail. When I only worked a couple miles from home I would drive it to work. (It is insured, registered and has a license plate, if they have those items they are perfectly legal on the rode as they have head lights and brake lights)

My neighbor has one and I can faintly hear when he uses it. However I think my neighborhood might be a bit more active as I have at least 3 people on the hill that have backhoes and other big equipment. On any given day you can hear a backhoe, a tractor, an ATV. Saws, people hammering kids yelling, it just depends on which way the wind blows.

Hey, happy to know I am not alone. I am probably one of the last people to turn on the house a.c. because I love hearings the birds and other critters. I'll be patient and see if any pattern develops before saying anything. We are gone for the week so I look forward to returning to my quiet, rural setting.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Around here there is a saying: "Anyone with a Pit Bull on a chain in the yard, has kids running all over the countryside on 4-wheelers." Sadly, it's true. There is a beaten two track path on the landowners' side of the ditches of the main roads here for miles, made by 4-wheelers.

1 members found this post helpful.

I wouldn't paint with such a broad paint brush Tom. I have a very nice fenced in yard for my corgi. That is far from a pit bull on a chain and my kids drive my ATV and are very respectful and are not allowed to go over 8 mph on the ATV and must stay in the low setting.

I have a pitbull...but no ATV. Darn it. Is it a requirement that I have an ATV because I really do not want one but really love my dog so if having an ATV is a requirement to have my dog....

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Ah yes, the sounds and smells of country living

My across the street neighbor tried to protest our building an indoor arena on our property. She said, and I quote "It will block my view of the I-75 freeway and if there are more horses on the property, I'm worried about the smell".

This came from a woman who has 40 head of cattle right outside her bedroom windows. I kid you not.

11 members found this post helpful.

I think that depends Tru.. Is your Pit on a chain in the yard? Do you have kids? Are they barefoot in cut off jeans? I think you need the kids too to have the ATV.

Now that I think about it.. I have the ATV and kids, am I required to get a Pit now?

The most horrible accident we ever had at work, in hundreds of thousands of hours of trucks driving various routes, was the time that a 13 year old was riding a dirt bike on the shoulder of the road after dark and one of the drivers turned into our incoming truck driveway in front of him. The driver was in hysterics when he saw what he had done. The child was just buzzing alongside the road with no lightson and probably didn't even realize what hit him. I hope not anyway.

Anyway OP, I feel for you, but I remember a thread like this a while back and somebody pointed out that sometimes people come out to the country so they can run all over their place and make a racket without being hassled. I would prefer they all flocked together myself and some developer would build "Noisy Acres" - close to "Pyromaniac Heights" for the folks that burn ALL their trash like my neighbors. They've burned upholstered chairs, a sofa, a Little Tykes plastic table for the preschool set and myriad other stanky things, and usually when it's wet so we get THAT piquant tang too. They have not, to date, attempted to burn anything with a gas tank but I am waiting.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

5 members found this post helpful.

You're worried about weekends?

I have a competition sniper shooter that lives across the road from me. His neighbor works on drag cars. At all hours. And he shoots squirrels and targets all the time. And they like to leave the radio on by the pool. And his teenager has a jacked up truck with the funky non mufflers on it and every time he turns in the driveway, he guns it so it roars.

I wish it was only the weekends. You have my sympathies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    Around here there is a saying: "Anyone with a Pit Bull on a chain in the yard, has kids running all over the countryside on 4-wheelers." Sadly, it's true. There is a beaten two track path on the landowners' side of the ditches of the main roads here for miles, made by 4-wheelers.
    KSquared- The dog on a chain in the yard was his prerequisite. And those kids are barefoot on the four wheeler cuttin' doughnuts on the dirt road. Unless they are in your view you don't know what your kids are doing on that 4 wheeler.