The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I have spray catnip...as the real thing tends to leave a mess and cause mayhem and bloodshed. One simply cannot get 7 cats each their own pile of catnip...without someone else moving in on the stash.
    The Siamese Mafia have many many stuffed toys, kept in a low clear plastic box. Once in a while I will soak all the toys with liquid catnip and put them all back in the toy box. Later all the toys will be scattered..and one (or more) cats will be passed out with their heads inside the plastic toy box..
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart

1 members found this post helpful.

My cats are picky about dry nip, but three out of four cats say WHOOO! to fresh nip leaves. (My fourth cat, who has always been odd, just looks at them like they're insane.)

The other day I discovered that T.O.M. is a ROSEMARY junkie! I had scattered crushed rosemary on some of the cupboard shelves to keep roaches out, but it would stick to the bottoms of the saucepans and I kept having to scrub it off before putting the pans on the burners. So I wiped up the rosemary and replaced it with big bay leaves. I dumped the rosemary into the plastic garbage bag, and T.O.M. tried to crawl in right after it! He started licking the rosemary off the bag.

Of course I put a stop to that right away, telling him about the warning that comes with plastic bags and that I did not want to him to suffocate for the sake of a rosemary high!

He did not seem to even notice the bay leaves.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    My brother was an occasional recreational pot user. DH & I told him while he was living with us no pot in our cars or house. As far as I know he abided by that while he lived with us.

Fast forward a few years and he comes over for a visit. Opens up the cabinet and there is a baggie of catnip.
    He is like "Wow, is that what I think it is?"
    No, dude it is catnip.
    Response: "Aw, man you won't get high but you get the cat high! That is just wrong!!!"

I had to bust out laughing.
    Not sure but what he was quite serious.

Quote Originally Posted by macmtn View Post
    I have spray catnip...as the real thing tends to leave a mess and cause mayhem and bloodshed. One simply cannot get 7 cats each their own pile of catnip...without someone else moving in on the stash.
    The Siamese Mafia have many many stuffed toys, kept in a low clear plastic box. Once in a while I will soak all the toys with liquid catnip and put them all back in the toy box. Later all the toys will be scattered..and one (or more) cats will be passed out with their heads inside the plastic toy box..
    You dispense catnip the way you put hay in a field for horses: One more pile than there are horses. All but the meanest junky of a cat will get along in this scenario.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I always thought catnip was a sort of weed for cats - and that the owners were like dealers.
    Bit to have a moral problem with it is just downright funny.

Have to laugh at what gets discussed here on COTH.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I buy home-grown catnip on Ebay and sprinkle it on the scratching post, and a little bit on his bed every day. He's happy, I'm happy. I think the OP's friend needs to have a couple of glasses of wine and relax.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    I think the OP's friend needs to have a couple of glasses of wine and relax.
    That might not work for the uber-moral.

Instead, perhaps the OP's friend could go to Alanon where he/she would learn how to be ok whether cats that belong to friends of hers are getting high or not. Truly, hers is a great discussion topic for a (bad but believable) Alanon meeting.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by WildandWickedWarmbloods View Post
    If we rolled in catnip, we might find ourselves covered in kitties in the middle of the night.
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

Catnip -- Innocent Feline Treat or Illicit Substance?
    Innocent feline treat.

Your friend is an anthromophorizing whackadoodle.

5 members found this post helpful.

I'd consider catnip to be more in the class of chocolate or coffee for humans, not drugs. Both of our cats like it, though the boy is much more enthusiastic about wallowing and rolling in it.
    Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

Not so fast MP -- -- Out of curiosity I looked up catnip on Wikepedia and, briefly, it said that it was commonly used in herbal tea blends related to sleep, stress and relaxation. That it is used as a culinary herb in many dishes
    and is smoked!

For cats it is a recreational substance for cats' enjoyment.

Yup -- sounds like kitty-weed to me. The morality police must jump on this one.

2 members found this post helpful.

I tried one more brand that said pure organic catnip grown in Canada and at least Jack has some serious interest in and Louie and Da Magpie have a moderate interest it but the rest not so much. It actually has that nice minty scent of real catnip as opposed to most commercial catnip brands which mostly smell like dried mystery vegetation. It smells so good I was tempted to make myself a small cup of tea from it......
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
    I'd consider catnip to be more in the class of chocolate or coffee for humans, not drugs. Both of our cats like it, though the boy is much more enthusiastic about wallowing and rolling in it.
    Just remember that both chocolate and coffee contain a drug -- caffeine. Not illicit by any means, but definitely mood-altering!

mvp -- I may suggest to my friend that she mention catnip at her next meeting!

mp -- she is certainly NOT a "whackadoodle" and is probably no more anthromorphizing that any other cat person! And YOU need to learn how to spell!

Heck - I can't even pronounce the word anthromophorsising, let alone spell it.
    Must need more of that tea.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    You dispense catnip the way you put hay in a field for horses: One more pile than there are horses. All but the meanest junky of a cat will get along in this scenario.

I could put 20 separate piles down..makes no diiference. Someone ALWAYS gets run off their stash.
    Strangely none are food agressive..even when shrimpies are being passed around, they all share peacefully. Its the drugs...they are all nip junkies
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart

Quote Originally Posted by macmtn View Post
    I could put 20 separate piles down..makes no diiference. Someone ALWAYS gets run off their stash.
    Strangely none are food agressive..even when shrimpies are being passed around, they all share peacefully. Its the drugs...they are all nip junkies
    Yup! Mine too, None of them can resist, Punkin's Select!

I work in a small health food store and we carry bulk catnip for people; it is a very effective sleep aid, muscle relaxer, destressing type tea.

I buy it for the kitties though-it makes them happy and not fight so much. I have six cats and I just put some in the beds and let them all sort it out. It mellows my possessive cats out.

Hmm ... think I may try a mug of catnip tea some evening. Mine is Cosmic Catnip -- must just check the label to see if "fit for human consumption" -- if not, maybe I will try rosemary tea ... T.O.M. seemed as interested in it as in catnip. I can always use a muscle relaxer and sleep aid!

Yup, Cosmic catnip is where its at according to my 3 cats!! My BF is the one that supplies it more than me and they know the sound of the lid opening and come running.

My one fat orange cat when he was a kitten, broke into the pantry and we found him passed out in his cat food bag covered in catnip. It was a brand new container and he opened it and spilled it everywhere then had a good time snacking till he passed out.

I just wanted to share this:
    http://pinterest.com/pin/57632070201705654/