The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

As for why to have a catnip plant around-did you see the article about its use as a mosquito repellant?

Anyone else wake up to find thier once put away catnip container in the middle of the floor? Depending on the culprit it may or may not be openand spilled everywhere....

Or finding them carrying said tub o caatnip?

Mine say cosmic catnip is da bomb, the only brand that will do
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

2 members found this post helpful.

Mine do not care about catnip at all but I have at least one that loves alfalfa hay - he rolls in it and just looks ecstatic. Maybe will try that on the rest. As to morality? Well, it is in the mint family, and I don't think that gives any ammo to the anti faction. It does repel skeeters - friend of mine keeps some on her deck to the delight of her two cats and the disgust of the skeeters. It also has some medicinal properties and and the oil is antifungal.
    While checking on family and genus, I found the reason the old people used to plant catnip around their houses and outbuildings - to keep assorted bugs and rodents away; it is apparently a very good repellant for both. It has also been used as a cooking herb in some areas in Eurasia.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    Actually, it's much worse than you feared. Catnip makes cats feel sexy.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...p-work-on-cats
    I'd like to hear their explanation of the the angry/aggressive cat response in terms of " feeling sexy " - must be the S&M cats ???

Must admit I won't do the laser thing as some cats (& many dogs) become obsessive/compulsive about the laser (& then there were the eye injuries associated with it's use - no idea if this has been corrected or if it's still up to the owner to be careful)

Oh don't start this thread! Now the DEA agents will be showing up in greenhouses everywhere, arresting people and cutting down their crops. And kitties in handcuffs, what a horrible sight!

When our owner lived in a big city, her aunt in another state used to mail her fresh catnips for her cats. Greenhouse grown all year round. The postal inspector sometimes opened the packages. Green, leafy material sent fresh from the countryside to the big city.

We will stick to flyspray thank you, for mosquito repellent. If we rolled in catnip, we might find ourselves covered in kitties in the middle of the night. The barn cat and any other cat within smelling distance.

4 members found this post helpful.

Like any self-respecting enabler, I only make the 'nip "available". What my druggie cats choose to do with it is their business... And I'd rather they partake at home, in a safe environment!

I don't judge, as long as they stay away from the car keys!
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by WildandWickedWarmbloods View Post
    And kitties in handcuffs, what a horrible sight!
    Have you tried handcuffing a cat? They don't have thin wrists, so it doesn't work. Just one more way in which a cat takes power without even trying.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Also, my cats approve of Cosmic brand catnip.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

Oh don't start this thread! Now the DEA agents will be showing up in greenhouses everywhere, arresting people and cutting down their crops. And kitties in handcuffs, what a horrible sight!

When our owner lived in a big city, her aunt in another state used to mail her fresh catnips for her cats. Greenhouse grown all year round. The postal inspector sometimes opened the packages. Green, leafy material sent fresh from the countryside to the big city.

We will stick to flyspray thank you, for mosquito repellent. If we rolled in catnip, we might find ourselves covered in kitties in the middle of the night. The barn cat and any other cat within smelling distance.

We should seize all the illicit pawcuffs and destroy them! Bury them in the catnip patch and DARE the pawpolice to find them!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by chestnutmarebeware View Post
    Like any self-respecting enabler, I only make the 'nip "available". What my druggie cats choose to do with it is their business... And I'd rather they partake at home, in a safe environment!

I don't judge, as long as they stay away from the car keys!
    You should have seen my house after a kitty party. Garbage cans overflowing with tuna pizza boxes and milk bottles. The neighbors used to seriously complain!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Have you tried handcuffing a cat? They don't have thin wrists, so it doesn't work. Just one more way in which a cat takes power without even trying.
    And as a friend of mine said, at a clinic one day, watching a horse being lunged in full bitting(?) harness with side reins etc. --- "This is why CATS have CLAWS!" (Barn kitties looking on from assorted lawn chairs, laps, fenceposts, and riders' stomachs ... )

Many different species of wild animals seek out "mind altering" substances.

Birds and other animals have been shown to select rotting fruit which makes them "drunk". Elephants, gorillas, pigs and other animals have been observed seeking out, and eating hallucinogenic plants.

So no, I do not think it is bad to offer cat nip to a cat.

https://m.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?...user=605150610

Moksha in da nip!

Jingles got paranoid and hid under the chair

Public link

I don't see it as "drugging them" (although I do also refer to it as 'nippin it up') - my cats LOVE it, roll all around and eat it...but none of them "pass out." In fact, they all go back to regular activity afterwards - a couple of them on guard duty going from window to window, one usually checking out the back of her eyelids while guarding my bed (this is a normal occupation for her), and the other lounging with the dogs.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    No but our owner, when she was about 6 yrs old, was playing cowboys and indians and she handcuffed one of her father's big dogs. Well that arrest went badly. The dog started screaming and struggling (resisting arrest) and before our owner could get the cuffs off of the dog, her father came out and yelled at her. Last time she ever handcuffed an animal. We warmbloods never have to worry about hobbles with her.

We'll leave catnip to the cats, and handcuffs to the cops.

The dog started screaming and struggling (resisting arrest) and before our owner could get the cuffs off of the dog, her father came out and yelled at her. Last time she ever handcuffed an animal.
    Checks and balances in law enforcement is good.

In other news: How do you grow catnip with the cat around? Don't they mow it down faster than you can say chlorophyll?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Okay have to share this! Remember the scene in Scarface Where Al Pacino has all that cocaine on his desk, and then plants his face in it?
    Well a few years ago my male Kitty, who is a sweet heart but not exceptionally bright, Got on the counter and I had forgotten to put the lid on the dried cat nip jar.
    I came home and it was ALL over the counter, he had dug most of it out.
    And he was lying on the end of the island looking at me like.. Whoa Dude!~
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

A greenhouse, even a small one in the backyard, is the way to go to prevent cat burglars from nipping the catnip. Of course house cats do the same damage to all indoor plants, so you might as well put a big pot of catnip in the house to be totaled.

Wonder if those plastic handcuffs would work well on cats? The metal ones wouldn't, but those zip plastic ones might work.

My brother was an occasional recreational pot user. DH & I told him while he was living with us no pot in our cars or house. As far as I know he abided by that while he lived with us.

Fast forward a few years and he comes over for a visit. Opens up the cabinet and there is a baggie of catnip.
    He is like "Wow, is that what I think it is?"
    No, dude it is catnip.
    Response: "Aw, man you won't get high but you get the cat high! That is just wrong!!!"

I had to bust out laughing.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

What no one else posts photos? Are your kitties in feline witness protection?