The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default First timer to Burghley - any tips?

We are planning to go to the UK at the beginning of September and want to attend Burghley as part of our trip. I haven't been there before so I am wondering if any Burghley "veterans" can give some advice. Is Peterborough a good place to stay for going back and forth to the grounds? Should we rent a car or is there a better way to get around? Other tips or advice?

It looks like some of the grand stand seating is already sold out for Friday dressage and Sunday show jumping. I guess I'd better buy those tickets ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by slp2 View Post
    We are planning to go to the UK at the beginning of September and want to attend Burghley as part of our trip. I haven't been there before so I am wondering if any Burghley "veterans" can give some advice. Is Peterborough a good place to stay for going back and forth to the grounds? Should we rent a car or is there a better way to get around? Other tips or advice?

It looks like some of the grand stand seating is already sold out for Friday dressage and Sunday show jumping. I guess I'd better buy those tickets ASAP!
    We got the Member's pass...it was worth it. Yes to get your tickets early. We rented a car and I think we were near Peterborough. It was fine and easy drive....just leave very early on Saturday. We had a great time
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

How cool!! Better get that credit card-swiping elbow all lubricated and ready!
    Click here before you buy.

I got member passes (well worth it). We stayed in Peterborough last time & it was easy to commute. This time we have a B & B in a llittle town somewhere nearby but I can't remember where, my friend made those reservations.

The shopping is amazing--plan on a big suitcase.

Thank you for posting. We will be in London and are thinking about driving down for xc. So excited!! Can't wait for ride times to post!

Any tips on must-do activities. Shopping tips (I know at Rolex there are some things it is better to target early and others better to wait for Sunday, etc). What about food? We will be staying in Peterborough as well. Any recommendations there?

My non-horsey friends are horrified that I am going all the way to England for a "long weekend" to watch a horse show and won't have time to do any "tourist stuff". I am, of course, delighted. I was going to try to see Burghley House as a nod to them, but it is closed for the horse trials. ;-) Right now, I think the extent of my touristy stuff will be multiple pictures of Platform 9 3/4 when I come through King's Cross.
    When life gives you lemons. . .say &%^# you lemons! And throw those lemons back in life's face so that it will be afraid of you and won't try that crap again!

2 members found this post helpful.

This will be my first trip to Burghley as well. Slightly different scenario for me as I will be over visiting my mother in Scotland so we will be driving down from Glasgow at the end of my trip. Will be meeting up with LessonLearned in Peterborough where we are staying. Peterborough is right on the commuter train line from London, so easy access if that is where you are flying into. We also have the member passes. Stadium seats were VERY limited when I bought tickets weeks ago so if you still need to get them buy the now! My mother emailed me a photo of the tickets when they arrived at her house lol. I'm super excited!!

Burghley House is closed during the event itself but is open earlier. We toured it either the day before the first jog or the day of the first job, something to check into and plan to do, because it really is rather cool. If you can get the dressage seats with headsets, it's worth it. Pack Dubarry's or wellies and rain gear and layers and credit cards. Shopping at Burghley is something else!
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

I'm envious of all of you- enjoy!

When I was there, a couple of years ago, the ATM machines ONLY accepted cards for UK banks. So plan on getting your cash ahead of time.

Great range of food, over all price ranges. I particularly liked the pork pies.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    When I was there, a couple of years ago, the ATM machines ONLY accepted cards for UK banks. So plan on getting your cash ahead of time.

They must have fixed that--I was able to get cash out of the ATM at the show grounds last year. They had a bank of them near the stadium.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I'm getting excited about going, the countdown has begun. CarolinaGirl, we are also sightseeing in Scotland first--can't wait!

As I recall, we went to Burghley House Wednesday before the jog. The shopping wasn't open at all on Wednesday, which was kinda sad.

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    They must have fixed that--I was able to get cash out of the ATM at the show grounds last year. They had a bank of them near the stadium.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post

I'll have my british bank of mom there with me if I can't use my US cards lol.

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

Hope that OP has found her accommodation. If you have a car, fine. If you haven't, Stamford has a rail station and it is within walking distance of the event. So easy to get there.

There are HUGE crowds on the cross country day. Walk the course, watch a couple of horses over each fence, move on. Don't bother to try to shop as it is manic. A lot of people go to Burghley only to shop and they don't bother with the horsey bit! So shop on the dressage days, when the crowds are reasonable and shopping can be a pleasant break from watching dressage or on the show jumping day, towards the end of the day when there are BARGAINS to be found. For some of the traders, Burghley is one of their last shows and they will be getting rid of this season's stock.

Lots of food at the event. Lots of food in Stamford. Possibly less good food in Peterborough but I could be doing them down. Peterborough has a beautiful cathedral that is worth looking at. it has been around for 900 years.

Also remember that Blenheim is the following week and if you can squeeze that in as well....