The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need a grazing muzzle for a houdini/destructive horse

Yes, what ^^that says. I need a grazing muzzle for mr. escape out of and destroy everything.

I really really really don't like the Best Friends muzzle. The hole is small and my horse cannot figure out how to get grass out of the muzzle. I looked at the tough-1 easy breathe muzzle which looks promising but because of the brand, I worry about durability. Are there seriously not any other muzzles on the market?
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

There are some in Europe that look promising. On my shopping list when I go to Germany and England this summer! Maybe check out European tack sites and Ebay?

http://www.barnstormers.co.uk/acatalog/Muzzles.html

I haven't had durability problems with the Tough-1s or the Best Friends styles, but my pony, although she tries HARD to shuck the things, is not otherwise destructive of them.

Escape-proofing them is easy. Affix a cribbing strap to the crownpiece of the muzzle (I use athletic tape) and do it up TIGHT with the horse's head up. The strap will be comfortably loose when their head is down, and they cannot roll out of them or scrape them off on the ground, other horses, fence posts, etc.
    Click here before you buy.

Picture of pony in new and improved grazing muzzle security setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	38300  
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

I like that Deltawave.

I had to braid the forelock and some mane hair into the leather crown piece, then wrap the braid around the leather piece, and then vet wrap it to the leather crown piece.

Only way I kept it on this horse. ARG.

You could try a large wire basket type muzzle if you are just trying to keep your horse from getting into stuff and damaging things.

I am going to have to try that, my part-Arab mare ALWAYS gets her grazing muzzle off. I just put her in the fat lot today b/c she is getting as big as a barn, and I feel terrible about it. If I could find a way to keep her grazing muzzle on her, she and my other fat mare could be turned out together instead of kept in "jail."