The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Considering a new truck - help

I KNOW this has been discussed before but my search isn't bringing up what I want, so please forgive me, and if you know of a thread and can point me to it, you can save the typing

We're getting to be strongly considering a new truck. New, not just new to us. We have an '88 F250 V8 gas that's down to 9-10mpg. I really do think we want another Ford, BUT, I'm open to objective comments as to why another make might be better.

Big questions - gas or diesel these days? Diesel is now so $$ and i don't see it going below gas for a really long time, if ever.

This is not a daily use truck, which I think might rule out a diesel purely from that point.

Pretty darn sure I still want a long bed - have a gooseneck trailer and I just don't want to have to worry about corners.

What's the scoop these days with new trucks?

The cost of diesel is not at the pump - it's the additional purchase cost and maintenance vs. the increased fuel mileage. With each additional year the EPA adds expense and reduces fuel economy, making the payoff even more distant. But the performance of a diesel is terrific. In that sense a diesel is perfect for towing-only work, but only if the cost fits into your picture.

Since you're not going to use it for general driving, ignore the advertised fuel economy numbers if looking at gassers. Under load the economy of a typical gas engine drops significantly. That said, if you never do pile up the mileage the extra fuel use will not add up to much. So the big gas engine has it's advantages for you.

1 members found this post helpful.

Consider the nature of your trailer and what you haul, too...the low-RPM torque of the oil-burner can really shine if you have a larger rig, despite the extra cost for the equipment.

If you're not in a hurry, Ram will have a new diesel option this fall that might be just the ticket for someone that's not hauling a huge trailer, but still wants the pulling advantages of a diesel engine. It's the same powerplant that's about to go in the Jeep Grand Cherokee and has very impressive numbers.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

This past March passed the 12th year I've been driving the Duramax/Allison dually. Maybe in another 10 years I'll have to get another one. It's my favorite truck that I've ever owned, and I've owned several of each through the years. Diesel fuel cost is not tied to gas prices. Sometimes it's higher, sometimes it's lower. The diesel will burn 50% less anyway. Also, the fuel burner will last several times longer than a gas burner.

2 members found this post helpful.

My 02 gas 2500 HD chev 4x4 got 8-10, city, highway, or hauling.

My 11 chev duramax get 13-15 hauling, gooseneck. And 18-20 city AND highway, and has a 36 gallon tank. This truck has no smelly diesel smell due to the DEF. Love it. It smells cleaner than a gas car or truck. Neat. This truck will out pull, and perform anything on the market. This is the last truck we will buy. Got 23k on it currently.

New? Like, new new? I personally consider new vehicles to be about the worst investment ever, but YMMV. I have never smelled my truck, LOL, so that one doesn't factor for me.

But if I was going to throw the cash at a new vehicle, I sure as heck would go ahead and stay with diesel -- not only do you have the extra power and torque and hopefully better hauling economy, but your resale value is MUCH higher, should you ever need to do so, and I have always found them significantly more affordable to own (less maintenance, they just don't break, but I am very very very picky about what I buy).

As for new diesel models, I've yet to be happy with anything that has come out since about 2003, the end of the 7.3L era, anything that I would actually remotely consider buying off the lot. There always seems to be one tragic flaw, sigh. So, My Precious better last another 300k like it's supposed to! I'll let people who actually have the new thingies speak for them, if there are any objective reviews out there.

PS Congrats on having a champion of an '88!!!

Hubby is a mechanic (lifetime farm boy turned full time mechanic). When I met him 18 years ago, he was a die-hard Chevy man. Fast forward....refuses to buy any type of GM product EVER. He says there are so many plastic parts under the hood, that there is no way he will ever buy another of their products. Our '94 Chevy still gets driven daily, and tows my trailer about twice per week. We're due for a new truck, and hubby personally is considering a Ford this time (GASP)! He's not a curser, but I can always tell when he's working on a GM product at work now
    Cindy