The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It all sounds awful and everyone was very lucky, but why was the truck and trailer in the center lane? If I'm hauling, I'm travelling slower than most other traffic and I keep as far to the side as possible.

He might of been in the center lane because a few people drive really slow in the right lane and he was coming up on an exit. A lot of people coming on to the highway and even new circle rd in town, don't yield. They think you have to merge to them. Makes it a pain in the ass when you have to slam on your brakes while towing/hauling when they don't yield

7 members found this post helpful.

I thought about this last night, What in gods name was the driver of the van doing when she or he slammed into the back of a trailer and destroyed it?
    Texting? Talking on the phone? HOW can you do that.
    I was mad all last night thinking of it.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Someone was looking out for everyone involved. Such a miracle.

Love Kirby's calm demeanor after that ordeal. Beautiful horse.
    I know, Wasn't he cute? Nice nice boy.. Looking around like, Hey what the heck?
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Practically all horses in a trailer wreck walk right back into another trailer, if they were doing so before the wreck.

That is because horses are not good at understanding being in the trailer was part of what happened.
    LOL, how come mine always seem to remember that spot on the trail where the deer jumped out and scared them, years ago?

Glad Kirby was ok. Crazy careless drivers scare the crap out of me when I haul.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

2 members found this post helpful.

How about the good luck of having not one Vet, but 2 show up and help out? Kirby was not destined to leave yet!

I wonder what the driver meant by they were fatigued at the time of the crash? Does that mean she fell asleep at the wheel?

The truck and trailer being in the center lane does not seem weird to me. If you are in area with lots of ramps loading onto the expressway and there are three lanes available, the center lane seems like the most logical place to be. Out of the way of people merging on, not blocking the fast left lane.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by phoebetrainer View Post
    It all sounds awful and everyone was very lucky, but why was the truck and trailer in the center lane? If I'm hauling, I'm travelling slower than most other traffic and I keep as far to the side as possible.
    Because in the center lane you aren't dealing with the turtles as they merge into 65 mph traffic ...while going 50.

I stay in the middle lane anywhere I'm in an area with tons of traffic merging in. And I stay with traffic- not poking along going a lot slower than the traffic around me. That's an invitation to get hit.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I wonder what the driver meant by they were fatigued at the time of the crash? Does that mean she fell asleep at the wheel?

. . .
    Yep. The first thing I thought was that this was one of my former co-workers at the plant in Lexington driving home after 12 hours on Tour 1. Driving drowsy is right up there with driving drunk or texting - one nod and you're in the ditch. Or the back of a horse trailer.

The report said it was at the southbound split so the limit there is I think 65. The limit on I 75 is 70 and it reduces right before the 64 /75 merge. The two right lanes are legal for truckers all down the three lane stretch of I75, it gets a little squirrelly when one lane peels off to join I64 Westbound but there are more than three lanes on 64/75 Eastbound. I'd definitely be using the center lane and staying away from the merging traffic coming out of Lexington. Always DID use the center lane from my house to exit 120 where I jumped over to a side road that took me straight to work.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I stay in the center lane too, to avoid mergers and exiters and speed changes. That woman must have fallen asleep and while it's not hard to do, sooooo dangerous and you NEED to pull over - this is why!

I went out and gave my heavy rusty rattle-trap of a Solid Steel Trailer a pat on the side after reading that story! It ain't perfect but it is tough!