The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    I can remember when diesel was cheaper than gas.
    YUP
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 Diesel is available in the US... cost is about
    $50K

but we can new buy pickup trucks cheaper
    Sorry, but there was no Diesel Grand Cherokee for the 2013 model year produced for the US market. There will be a diesel MY14 JGC, but it's been continually delayed with production now slated to start in July for late August/September delivery. If it doesn't slip again. That said, it will be a very economical tow vehicle as it retains the 7200/7400 towing limits of the Hemi V8 due to the hefty torque but can get up to 30mpg on the highway crusing. (non towing obviously) I happen to tow a lighter-weight 2h BP with my MY12 JGC Hemi and it is a pleasure. But yes, it's an expensive option to a pickup when the intent or desire isn't also for a luxury vehicle. (The EcoDiesel will not be available in the base JGC, at least during the initial roll-outs and in the Limited, Overland and Summit trim levels, the luxury packages are required or standard, depending on the model, which raises the cost many thousands of dollars just to get the diesel engine when it becomes available)
    -----

OP, there sometimes seems to be a cultural distain for towing horses here in the US with anything less than a big, hefty pick-em-up-truck. Yet when you actually look on the road, there are a great many of us who actually do tow with the larger SUVs for local and personal hauling. What matters most is matching things up so you are not pushing the limits of things and being considerate that the load is "live", not static. I'm 2200 lbs below my limit with my rig fully loaded and I'm comfortable with that. I would not, however, be comfortable towing horses with a heavy DR trailer that put the total up near my 7200 lb limit.

One other factor comes into play and that's the trailers, themselves. In many parts of the world, the trailers are lighter in weight and have excellent inertial braking systems...they are designed to tow with lighter/smaller vehicles because the big, beefy pick-em-up-trucks are either not available or are terribly expensive to put on the road due to high taxes on large displacement engines, etc. Given the hard push for fuel economy here, perhaps there will be more and more choices available to safely tow with smaller rigs if some of that excellent design and technology becomes more available in North American than it has so far. The imports are very expensive compared to domestically produced trailers, so if the latter starts to provide options similar to the Euro designs, the cost should drop.

There are, of course, many folks that will disagree with me. So be it. Dialog is healthy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yikes - I should have sent you my old 7.3 diesel Ford f-250 and we could have shared the profit.

me too---my 2002 7.3 4x4 is still for sale...

Quote Originally Posted by WildandWickedWarmbloods View Post
    oh, we warmbloods misspoke: Owner had a 5.2 liter jeep and a 5.9 liter jeep, both cherokees, (as well as the 3 other jeep cherokees with the 4.0 liter engines) and both not suitable for towing warmbloods, even with those engines, all gas.
    Note that the Cherokee and the Grand Cherokee are two completely different vehicles. The Cherokee is not suitable for towing. The Grand Cherokee is. It's not about the engine...it's about the vehicle, itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
    One other factor comes into play and that's the trailers, themselves. In many parts of the world, the trailers are lighter in weight and have excellent inertial braking systems...they are designed to tow with lighter/smaller vehicles because the big, beefy pick-em-up-trucks are either not available or are terribly expensive to put on the road due to high taxes on large displacement engines, etc. Given the hard push for fuel economy here, perhaps there will be more and more choices available to safely tow with smaller rigs if some of that excellent design and technology becomes more available in North American than it has so far. The imports are very expensive compared to domestically produced trailers, so if the latter starts to provide options similar to the Euro designs, the cost should drop.
    Wouldn't that be awesome?

We have '01 and '09 F250s, nearly identical on paper but completely different to use. I've also towed with the 1986 and 1991 versions of the same truck.

The 2009 is fitted out like a car or nice SUV, and has a great back seat and passenger suspension. They're clearly after the passenger-hauling market and it's at a similar price point to a nice SUV. It also has a fully-integrated towing system that uses the transmission with the load on hills. The same trailer and load pulls noticeably better behind the newer truck than my trusty '01 (which actually has a bigger engine). It occurred to me that adding more 'automatic' features like inertial trailer brakes would probably only improve the handling and ease of towing.
    ---------------------------

Wow, I am a Jeep Fan But I can never imagine pulling a horse trailer with it!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

It pulls great. You have to be careful in your trailer selection but then, so should anybody. Having a bigger truck won't make up for poor trailer design.

I know many, many people (including several on this board) who pull Hawk trailers with dressing rooms with half ton trucks and it does great.

If you're ever in MA I invite you to drive my rig sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    It pulls great. You have to be careful in your trailer selection but then, so should anybody. Having a bigger truck won't make up for poor trailer design.

I know many, many people (including several on this board) who pull Hawk trailers with dressing rooms with half ton trucks and it does great.

If you're ever in MA I invite you to drive my rig sometime.
    So I guess it would be safe to get a utility trailer for my Grand Cherokee to pull?
    You know just those black metal ones that you can put mulch or fire wood on?
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    So I guess it would be safe to get a utility trailer for my Grand Cherokee to pull?
    You know just those black metal ones that you can put mulch or fire wood on?
    Sure. What year/engine do you have?

Sure. What year/engine do you have?
    I have a 98 in awesome condition, Inline 6. all wheel drive.
    I know it is too small to ever pull anything large, but it is so awesome in every respect I thought it could handle one of those small utility trailers.??

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    I have a 98 in awesome condition, Inline 6. all wheel drive.
    I know it is too small to ever pull anything large, but it is so awesome in every respect I thought it could handle one of those small utility trailers.??
    Max capacity is 5000lbs, but one of those little cargo trailers, as long as it's not an enclosed trailer, is nothing relative to that. Something like this weighs about 500lbs http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...yload-capacity

you should be fine with a trailer of that size if you stay on the secondary roads especially.

The 5.2 liter grand cherokee was not suitable for towing warmbloods. It did tow a speedboat.

The 5.9 liter grand cherokee was not suitable for towing warmbloods. It did tow a speedboat.

Duh, our owner owned 5 cherokees, the last 3 being the "grands." She pretty much knows cars and trucks.

The big Ford truck with the turbo does tow warmbloods!

The 2- 4.0 liter cherokee limiteds and the 3 grand cherokees might have been able to tow a few shetland ponies.

I haul with my 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It is the 5.7L and has the same brakes, transmission, transmission cooler, etc as the Ram 2500. The upgraded tow package includes the 3.73 axle ratio that makes this possible. I have 4x4.

It was also $47k new, but it was in my family before the current horse was, and it is paid for. So, we work with what we've got. A free vehicle beats one you have to buy, anytime.

Anyhoo-- I was assured by many, including Tom Scheve at Equispirit, whom many on this board refer to, that this vehicle is completely capable of pulling a 2H bumper pull, even with dress. At this very moment I am about to purchase a Hawk with dress, 3200lb weight, once I get over my indecision problems. If I don't do the hawk, it will only be because I'm a wuss about spending that much $$ and not because I don't think the truck would do fine with it. If that doesn't fly, it will be a brand new Calico steel trailer.....
    Since you've spoken with Tom, speak to him again about the EquiBreeze option. You get all the safety features of his EquiSpirit, but more open-air. Definitely a more economical option and worth looking into
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Since you've spoken with Tom, speak to him again about the EquiBreeze option. You get all the safety features of his EquiSpirit, but more open-air. Definitely a more economical option and worth looking into
    Here in the wilds of the northeast, where it is frequently pouring rain and/or snowing, and or all of the above on the same day, stock sides are harder to deal with. I did look into them, but they're still a good deal more expensive than an all-aluminum trailer here, so I decided to pass.

Ah, gotcha. You don't have a location in your Profile, so wasn't aware you live in the land of cold/snow.

And I hear ya on the price...
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

It is hard to say no to resale value on a Kingston here in the northeast. I see 15 year old trailers selling for 25% off new, and I'm sure that's roughly what their owners paid for them brand new at the time. So I think an all aluminum kingston is actually where I will end up.

We have a 2001 Grand Cherokee, 4.7, 4 wheel disc which I think is standard with tow package. It has been a work horse with little to no problems. And still running strong. I have towed a number of different 2 horse trailers with it. None of them have been the large ones with dressing/track room. No need easy enough to work out of the back of the Jeep. The largest horses I have put on it were around 1,200+ lbs pairs. If you do a lot of towing it is worth installing the upgrade slotted/vetted rotors and ceramic pads. Dissipates the heat better which means better breaking. I have never felt uncomfortable and tow with ease at highway speeds. We have a good size farm for, eastern standards, and it is used for a lot of things most people would never use it for. Never fails me. I tow fully loaded hay wagons, 4 tons, locally. Fully loaded 16’ flat bed trailer with no electric breaks. Its been a fantastic vehicle. Looking around for a low mileage 2004 the last year of that body style. Have never driven a 5.7 L version but the 4.7L is a pretty darn strong with impressive acceleration and torque. I had a 98 GC before this one and it was nice but not nearly as nice as this model. I have had 5 Cherokees, all but one were good vehicles. The one dog was an 85 when Jeep was owned by American Motors. POC, V6 that couldn’t out run let alone out tow a VW Beatle. I know I towed a large trailer from NY to Colorado with a Beatle. I don’t recommend it and wouldn’t do it again. But we were young and going west and used what we had.
    Our Jeep GC is much more cost effective then the pick up and gooseneck. But a nice pick up and gooseneck does drive and ride better but we only use it when we have more then 2 horses and long distances.

The bigger the better in America. I can't tell you how many times someone has posted a thread saying they want to haul one 15 hand horse to a lesson on flat ground 20 minutes away once a month and at least 4 posters say they wouldn't tow anything but a one ton pick up truck and a goose neck because everything else is deadly.

Max capacity is 5000lbs, but one of those little cargo trailers, as long as it's not an enclosed trailer, is nothing relative to that. Something like this weighs about 500lbs http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...yload-capacity
    Thanks! That is EXACTLY the one I was looking at from TSC~~