The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CL Ad for Centaur Fencing. 4-inch rail. Is this a good deal?

I am wanting to upgrade my fencing with Centaur flex rail, and I found this ad on Craig's List -- this is close enough to me to pick up by truck. However, the description is sketchy and it mentions 4-inch rail, which I believe Centaur no longer makes. Does this sound like a good deal ... or a nightmare?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/3788247976.html

This also looks like a good deal?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/3853857087.html

I have several disparate sections to fence, so I could use the two different types in different places and it would not look bad.

Thoughts?

at $1500 it appears to be discounted about 33% as I have found quotes for materials only (less post/concrete) at $3.30 per foot

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/ar.../t-297181.html

I am buying the second package -- which is 550 ft of flex rail plus three 550-ft. rolls of the strand. I made a low-ball offer on the first package and have not heard back from the seller yet.

KR- I have the second type, minus the 4" rail, just 4 strands of the coated wire- two strands are hot and two are cold. I use it for daytime turnout. I love mine for ease of maintenance and it stays nice looking. We bought the T post covers and installed the wire on those.

1 members found this post helpful.

SLW -- That is a good thought. I actually have a lot of one-inch hot tape that I could use on top. However ... to buy t-posts plus covers -- wouldn't that actually come pretty close to the same cost as wood posts?

Run the numbers and see the cost for each. Wood post are lovely!!! With the amount of rock we have, using T post give us better results in the long term for staying in the ground.

3" or 4" post plus a bag of Quikcrete per post- maybe with the smaller post you could split a bag between two post verses T post with cover.

We have almost no rock ... I am wondering if wood posts could be pounded, at least the line posts.

I am so jealous of your rockless land!!

I doubt you can pound the post because you are going to need to sink each post 2 1/2 or 3 feet.

Wood posts rot and get eaten by carpenter ants!!!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

SCORE! I got the entire first package for $1,000!!

I think I am going to have enough to upgrade the paddock, a turn-out area and all of the road-facing perimeter fencing. In other words, all of MY fence will be upgraded ... I won't have to ask permission from any neighbors. Woo Hoo!

2 members found this post helpful.

Outstanding!

Make sure your corner post assemblies are rock solid and braced, and I think you'll be very happy with this fence.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Thanks, Poltroon. I really hope so! Fencing here has been a challenge since I moved in. I have pulled out so much barbed wire -- and that was the GOOD stuff! There were fences built here out of -- gawd knows what! Every imaginable type of wire and twine and spit wads ... all of it overgrown with weeds. I can only DREAM of how nice this will be when finished! I think we are going to hire someone to set the wood posts, I have someone in mind but have not contacted him yet. We may not be able to swing it all at once -- but now I know it WILL happen!

Score!!!! It will be so pretty and safe!!!!

Just got back from visiting the people with the Centaur fencing, and checking to make sure it is exactly what I want / need. Wowzer! First, there is more of it than I had figured. Second, it has never been installed -- as in, it is brand new, still wrapped and all of the brackets and tensioners still in the box! Finally, the people were really really nice! What a great deal. I just need some strong hands to help me get it loaded into a truck and it will be ours!

SOOOOOO JEALOUS.

That's all.
    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Okay, this is getting scary ... My hair dresser's husband does fence work and can set our posts, and I just learned a nearby lumberyard is having a stupid crazy sale on 5" x 8' treated posts at almost half price. This is almost Twilight Zone-ish.

King? Did you think we needed to upgrade the fencing??

Default I think I need somebody to pinch me!

Sat down with the fencing guy today and mapped out all of the fence lines, posts, corners, gates, etc. and got his bid for setting all of the posts (including setting the corner and gate posts in concrete and bracing according to the installation manual) and taking out all of the old fence.

Here is what I am getting out of my Craigslist find:

1. Pulling out tons of old fence & t-posts (yes, he's going to do it for us!) and replacing all of the road-facing perimeter fence with 4 Centaur flex rails on wood posts.

2. Pulling down what was intended to be "temporary" electric fencing on t-posts around the paddock, and replacing with 4 Centaur flex rails on wood posts.

3. Six new gates for better "traffic flow" around the farm.

4. 180 x 120 turn-out / riding area fenced with Centaur flex rail on top and 3 strands of Centaur coated wire on wood posts

Total linear feet of fence = 1,350

I've got both of my grown sons on-board to help us install the rails, so that will be our labor contribution.

Excluding the gates, which I have not bought yet, and our free labor to install the brackets and rails ... this project is coming in at slightly less than $2.25 per running foot!

I cannot believe we are actually getting this done, at long last! And that I didn't have to take out a second mortgage to do it!

yep, King had his hoof in it!!! Congratulations!

Eeeep, how exciting!!! I've never installed the Centaur rails but hubba and I did the Centaur coated wire and it goes up easy peasey!!!!

I'm just going to be jealous for a moment. Ok--done. WOW! That's awesome!! I am looking at replacing barb and putting in all new fencing and I just don't even think I'm going to get to it this year--even though I've bought most of it already. Hay storage is the other issue we have. So no horses at home for me... *sigh*
    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/