The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

[QUOTE=wildlifer;7024660]Ermmm, not sure why someone has crazy snapping turtle hatred, strange sadism -- I work alongside them all the time, they are completely benign and fascinating to watch. Also, baby snapping turtles are FREAKING ADORABLE! They hiss and open their tiny mouths, "Imma snap youuuu!" while being about the size of a quarter, LOL.

"imma snap youuuu!". So funny.

4 members found this post helpful.

I had an aged snapping turtle (per my google search that is what she was) try to dig holes in my tiny riding area a few years back. Poor thing clearly found my footing (just some sand over clay, no real footing) to not be of her liking. She dug four or five test holes and then left.

I wonder more where she came from. I am near a swamp but it is really not close if you are a turtle. (Only close for mosquitoes and other flying bugs.)

You can't move the eggs unless you orient them the exact same way as you found them. Put an "X" on top so you know, if you decide to move them. But as others have posted, you should really just leave them alone if you can. Most eggs won't make it anyway, so give every one a fighting chance.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Showbizz View Post
    Where are you located OP?
    We are in Central MA.
    I've now gone from being distressed that they were there to worrying that some predator will dig up the eggs and eat them before they've hatched!

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    I can sympathize about the base of your ring, though!

Let's see if this works:

http://www.easykeeperfarm.blogspot.c...max-results=27
    These are great - thanks for this. Especially as I've been very wary of snapping turtles. Lots of horror stories, and warnings since a child to "stay away", or acquaintances who've made soup with them.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    "Imma snap youuuu!"
    Love it. Just visualizing this has me LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    Probably because they kill all of the baby ducklings and baby goslings in ponds.
    Yup - nephew has a big pond alongside their yard with snappers. My sister just brought their daughter some requested baby ducklings, and is concerned for their welfare.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Martha- Those pictures on your blog are sooo CUTE! The slew of them in the rubber pan reminds me of the candy turtle pecan treats.... they really do look like that!

We were driving back from Missouri this weekend (highway speed limit is 70), and there was a turtle working his way across two lanes from the median to the side. I managed to avoid him but I saw a semi behind me that obviously isn't going to be able to swerve. I couldn't even watch -- DH did, and said the driver went onto the shoulder to avoid hitting the turtle

We saw another one that didn't make it, though.

If you are fans of Zephyr's Garden equine products, the owner posts photos of her son's Sulcata tortoise Norbert on the ZG FB page - he has quite the following, and is such a character!

Check him out: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8130082&type=3

We have both painted and snapping turtles who lay eggs in our pasture. my favorite time is when the eggs hatch and the babies start matching toward water.

Some take a wrong turn. I found a baby snapper in the parking lot of our supermarket and there is no water anywhere in sight. I picked him up and put him in the pond near our barn.

Snappers are not my favorites -- they are very predatory and eat quite a few of the ducklings and goslings on the pond -- but I couldn't leave it there. I was very surprised that it hadn't been run over already as it was smack in the middle of the pavement.

http://equineink.com/2012/09/26/its-turtle-time/
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by horsenhistory View Post
    We are in Central MA.
    I've now gone from being distressed that they were there to worrying that some predator will dig up the eggs and eat them before they've hatched!
    I've got one too! I see her once a year; she likes the outdoor arena and the rotten leaf scatter under the big forsythia island. Yesterday morning she trundled out of the swamp (and over the stone wall, not sure how she does THAT!) and motored across the barn-lot to lay her eggs. I went to say "Hi," then left her alone. Then she motored on back, efficiently. Far be it from ME to tell a dino what to do!

3 members found this post helpful.

"Imma snap youuuu!"
    HILARIOUS! I'm SO stealing this for my signature line! Thanks wildlifer!!
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

Hahahha, you are most welcome. I am a very guilty biologist, gleefully anthropomorphizing animals, but I swear, they speak to me!

Well, you can put some 1 x 1 stakes in the ground about 3 feet high around the nest in a circle, and tack some plastic orange fence material to them - or even use electric fence T-posts so you have something large and obvious to stay away from. Just ride around it. I would do that and let them have their chance. Snappers don't hurt you unless you try to pick them up, really. Even in the ponds, they don't bite you, according to everything I heard.

Here's my snapper story - we had an old quarry near our house which was said to be 40 to 60 feet deep with lovely cold, clean water, and AT our house a small pond. The quarry had a stream coming out of it which fed our pond. One day the horse and cat saw something crashing through the woods to come out into 'their' pasture, and I was anxious, thinking it had to be a skunk and we were all going to get sprayed, because the cat and horse were fascinated and going to investigate. What came out of the woods along the creek from the quarry into our pasture was a HUGE snapping turtle - I mean huge, like the size of a land tortise from some other world - a small boy could ride it, no lie. Probably three feet across and four feet long, shell wise. It lumbered into the pasture and down to our pond, where it stayed for about 4 days and ate all the fish and all the baby canada geese, then walked back up the hill into the quarry lake. Man! Me and my girls used to go skinny dipping at night in that quarry! Can you imagine? We didn't do that again! Even though everyone said it wouldn't bother us, that was just - shudder - too creepy to swim with, knowing that thing was 40 feet under us, just...just...growing, and...and...eating...how old could it have been? 200 years old? I mean, wow!
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Here's an interesting fact page on snappers

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/snappers.htm

Pretty far down, it says they really just don't bite people unless really cornered. Very interesting page.

I really wonder if what I saw was a snapper. I feel I am really good at recogizing local turtle species, but I can't imagine one as large as what I saw, and the head is so recognizeable, and the neck was reallly long. It walked up high on its legs, was pretty fast, and obviously going for the water. I wish I had taken pics of it, but I never thought about the camera - it was like seeing bigfoot - you don't think about the camera until its all over, it was so astounding to see.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

1 members found this post helpful.

ditto sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious Kate View Post
    Well, you can put some 1 x 1 stakes in the ground about 3 feet high around the nest in a circle, and tack some plastic orange fence material to them - or even use electric fence T-posts so you have something large and obvious to stay away from. Just ride around it.
    Stakes and T-posts in an arena sound like a bad idea, but I can endorse the just ride around it idea. Better to use something softer to mark the area, like a road cone.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm not an outlier; I just haven't found my distribution yet!

Hahahha, you are most welcome. I am a very guilty biologist, gleefully anthropomorphizing animals, but I swear, they speak to me!
    They do, just not everyone knows how to listen to what they say. Not all learning comes from books and not all discussions are done with words.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

3 members found this post helpful.

Interesting read, Kate, especially the research where it says they are not a
    danger to waterfowl.

I get so excited when some wildlife decides to come around and find these reads so interesting since the species are often ones we are not familiar with
    here

Canadian geese really proliferate and are quite a nuisance with their increasing numbers, so if the odd one gets snapped up I'll put it down to Nature doing its thing. The wildlife officers go round addling the eggs to try and keep the numbers down on the geese.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

My old vet, loved all "animals", and I only know of two who basically he felt didn't deserve to live - snapping turtles, and starlings. I think he hated them because they live by killing off other animals babies.
    What an odd thing to say - everything eats babies if possible.

Probably because they kill all of the baby ducklings and baby goslings in ponds.
    That is nature!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

This thread makes me smile and remind s me there are some really great caring folks on COTH!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.