The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Instead of windows or conventional skylights, look into Solar Tubes. They are round tubes, have lenses to focus light on the top and bottom, and supposedly have a top opaque part that limits overhead sunlight, keeping the heat down.

http://www.solatube.com/residential/daylighting This link is to Solatube brand, but I know there are others out there. They also have residential, and commercial versions. I think they're about 10" in diameter, and if installed correctly shouldn't ever leak.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Fessy's Mom View Post
    SPF10 - I Love your barn! That's pretty much what I have pictured for our new barn. What size is it? We were planning on 30 by 50 plus the 12 foot overhang. The way yours is set up it would work great at our location.
    THANK YOU It is 36 x 48 our overhang is only a 6 ft due to budget and the fact that the sun moves across the front of the barn so it casts a pretty good shadow (shaded) area, in the "back" of the barn. Horses, only 2, have no problem with standing under it to get out of rain even though they have a run in further out in the field.
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

1 members found this post helpful.

I vote for dutch doors too. My horse has been boarded at places with nothing, with a window (with metal covering so he couldn't poke his head out) and dutch doors. He LOVES the dutch doors. I also like the additional safety feature.

The doors at my current barn are older. And all metal. BO closes them in the winter. But she has skylights above the aisle and good lights so no real issues. She also shuts the top 1/2 when it's crummy weather (all day rain/storms).

Here is a side pic of the barn. Not too much of an overhang.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Here is a pic of door:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

The bush is not that close to him. Just the way the pic was taken. He can't reach it... though he would love to!

My mare used to take off the top of the dutch door so my vote is no. Those things are sooooooooooo heavy to put back up.