The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone ever have a foal exhibiting lameness

Foal was off on one front leg at 2 days old, vet came to check - all bloodwork, temps, etc., normal - administered banamine and dexamethasone. Soon thereafter foal was 100% and showed no lameness. Yesterday foal was lame in hind legs. Still nursing but laying down a lot. Any ideas?

Hopefully others will chime in, but personally I would suspect sepsis and get him started on antibiotics and probiotics. The babies can go downhill so fast and often by the time you are sure it's septic, it's too late. I had one that I suspected was septic this year even though initial bloodwork was normal. We were proactive and 24 hours after we started abs her bloodwork was haywire. She was so sick I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have made it if we hadn't started treating her when we did.

Good luck

2 members found this post helpful.

Agree with Jenny, I would be concerned about sepsis and want to start antibiotics and probiotics sooner rather than later...depending, of course, on what your vet is seeing.
    Juliette Beauchamp, LVT
    http://turtlemountainfarm.com/

Default Thank you!

Thank you for the info - yes, we have had on meds since initial "offness" (for lack of better term) are treating for infection but had another vet out today as always think 2nd opinion is good idea and they have a prognosis which is not serious! Will post an update in a few days - in case anyone else every has similar situation :-) thanks!