The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Someone gave me a horribly moldy, dry old pony driving harness that was salvageable. I used waterless mechanics' hand cleaner for the first round, and it really got the dirt and gunk off. I used to use this when grooming three day eventing horses as it got the Crisco we smeared on their legs off the tack super easy.

I wash my suede half chaps and wool pad in the washing machine with a mixture of "Hey sport combi wash" - leather cleaner (any leather cleaner designed for a washing machine would do) and livestock shampoo. They always turn out great. Normally for dirty tack, I scrub with warm water and a "glug" of ammonia rinsing as needed to remove dirt. Followed by scrubbing with Kirks castile soap, followed by leder basalm (set out in sun or put bucket of tack in warm car to soak in), followed by a once over with glycerine soap. Being lazy, I'm thinking of throwing my tack in the washing machine using the leather stuff and then going from there with additional cleaning (as needed) and plenty of leather conditioner. My show stuff only gets used for shows and is cleaned after every use so that stuff has never seen ammonia. Happy tack cleaning. My dislike of tack cleaning is why my everyday bridle and breastplate are biothane!!!

Invest in a box of wine and invite some friends over.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

High in the mountains of Southwest Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl View Post
    Someone reputable here (Canterlope, maybe?) had a great story iirc about putting a pile of tack in the washing machine? Wish my memory were better. I haven't been brave enough to try it, but might have to try a load of stray partial headstalls and see what happens...
    Jeannette, you have a good memory although I'm not too sure about the reputable part. I threw a ton of disgustingly dirty tack in the washing machine and it came out sparkling. Even the stitching looked almost new.

Gentle cycle, warm wash with a cold rinse, a lot of Leather Therapy Wash, and a good dose of Leather Therapy Restorer. Once done, a good coating of conditioner while still damp. To keep the tack from getting tangled or snagged in the washer, it helps to put it in a mesh laundry bag.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the Number 2 pencil is so popular, why is it still number 2?

My BO has a tack cleaning service, she will do it weekly, monthly, just before a show, or just when you want.

I treat all my tack the same the high ends stuff and the low end stuff as all tack costs money to buy or replace. It get cleaned after use and stored under cover (in boxes/tack box/tack bags) if I don't use very often.
    Are you going to cowboy up or lie there and BLEED?

I used the tub method on my work harness which I cleaned once a year whether it needed it or not.

Water to cover the parts, Murphy's Oil soap and a soft scrub brush. Rinse with the hose and then I'd spread the parts on the grass to dry. A good oiling with Neatsfoot, 24 hours to soak up and we were good for another year. After 16 years it was still serviceable.
    Ride like you mean it.

See, around here, tack cleaning = party! I invite over a couple of friends, everyone brings a bottle of booze, and we watch movies, drink, clean, and chat. My pre-show-tack-cleaning-parties are LEGENDARY.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Now I know what I'm doing tomorrow. Testing the washing machine with the dirty bridles i was going to throw away!
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl View Post
    Someone reputable here (Canterlope, maybe?) had a great story iirc about putting a pile of tack in the washing machine? Wish my memory were better. I haven't been brave enough to try it, but might have to try a load of stray partial headstalls and see what happens...
    Man, ShakeyTails, try it and post how it came out. You could (maybe) add a bottle of Murphy's soap (or would a bottle be too much?) and sit back and wait.

Or try the Murphy's in the muck basket idea that you thought of first and then let us know.

In fact I might try the muck basket idea and see how it works out. I have bins of old tack and I don't see how it can make the tack any worse.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Quote Originally Posted by canterlope View Post
    Jeannette, you have a good memory although I'm not too sure about the reputable part. I threw a ton of disgustingly dirty tack in the washing machine and it came out sparkling. Even the stitching looked almost new.

Gentle cycle, warm wash with a cold rinse, a lot of Leather Therapy Wash, and a good dose of Leather Therapy Restorer. Once done, a good coating of conditioner while still damp. To keep the tack from getting tangled or snagged in the washer, it helps to put it in a mesh laundry bag.
    Thank you.

Much better than my other idea - garden hose.

I always intend to do a proper job on every piece, but between the buckles and threaded pieces, it takes so long that I just don't have time to do every piece as often as I want to. And the tack definitely needs it more often.

I have found that, after the tack is clean, a balsam conditioner is working much better than anything else I've used.

I have the same pile of gross tack.
    I keep thinking that some kind of semi-abrasive glove/mitt would be great (or with short bristles), especially for reins, but it would have to be thin enough to give good dexterity. Sorta like the grooming mitts with bristles, but thin enough to easily get your hand around stuff...
    I found this, for pool cleaning:
    http://www.doheny.com/poolsupplies/Mytee-Mitt.html?gclid=CP_Kzrmm-bcCFWNp7AodeWUAAw&kwid=productads-plaid^34119690163-sku^5996-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^24565588506
    Not the type of bristles I was thinking off, to get into tight spots like laced reins, but maybe it would work?
    A lot of my stuff gets stored in (really cramped) bins. Wondering how I can help prevent mold once I get stuff clean...Damp Rid? Towels?
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Good suggestions for cleaning piles of tack? Send them all to me, I love cleaning tack!
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

Quote Originally Posted by dreamingofdressage View Post
    Good suggestions for cleaning piles of tack? Send them all to me, I love cleaning tack!
    The door is unlocked and there are drinks in the fridge!
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

I just tried the "put a pile of gross, stiff tack in a Rubbermaid tub, cover tack with warm water and 1/2 bottle of Murphy's Oil Soap. Let sit for 5 minutes and then swirl around like a washing machine for 1 minute. Dump out water and hang to dry.

WALLACHT! Soft, clean(ish) tack that I can now put back in a nice clean Rubbermaid bin and store for another year.

I also bought a bottle of Murphy's Spray soap. After washing, I sprayed the tack I want to use now and it came out ready to put on a horse.

Total time: Less than 30 minutes start to finish. And I had probably 30 pieces of tack.

If I had tack with lots of mold, I probably would have put the tack in the Rubbermaid bin with water to cover and a 1/2 bottle of vinegar before doing the Murphy's cleaning.

I give whoever suggested this method 5*'s for a great idea.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."