The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any good suggestions for cleaning piles of tack?

I really need to clean out my tack room, and I have tons of leather strap goods- headstalls, reins, martingales, halters, etc. For the most part none of it very high quality, but it's workable. It's a lot of tack- probably a muck tub full,and I don't have the patience to deal with it properly. Some has mold, and all of it is dusty.

I was thinking about a just using a big tub of warm water with something added to it (Murphy's?, Pine Sol?), swishing it all around for a bit and a quick dry with a towel and to inspect for stuff that needs to be tossed. Then I was thinking dunking the keeper stuff in neatsfoot, letting it hang and drip for an hour or so, and wipe it off.

Anybody got any better ideas?

Pony club tack cleaning lessons ?? (With refreshments ?)
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    I really need to clean out my tack room, and I have tons of leather strap goods- headstalls, reins, martingales, halters, etc. For the most part none of it very high quality, but it's workable. It's a lot of tack- probably a muck tub full,and I don't have the patience to deal with it properly. Some has mold, and all of it is dusty.

I was thinking about a just using a big tub of warm water with something added to it (Murphy's?, Pine Sol?), swishing it all around for a bit and a quick dry with a towel and to inspect for stuff that needs to be tossed. Then I was thinking dunking the keeper stuff in neatsfoot, letting it hang and drip for an hour or so, and wipe it off.

Anybody got any better ideas?
    For the mold I find a quick mist with Lysol disinfectant spray knocks it right in the head. Gets in tight places like laced reins, etc.
    Saved me hours on cleaning some moldy bridles and reins.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

I'm a hoarder - you never know when you will need to use a piece of leather. My stuff was clean enough, but a bit mouldy and dusty after time hanging around.

But when it needed a clean up I just dunked it quickly in a sink full of warm water and very dilute vinegar. . .did not soak it for any length of time. Wiped it quickly with a rag and then laid it on the kitchen counter on a dry towel and patted it dry. Then I squirted Leather New all over the pile and took each piece individually and wiped the stuff in quickly.

Took no time, and the leather looked and felt better.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I just went through this with my tack. What a job! Like Foxtrot, I used vinegar on the mould, but I didn't dilute it. I hope it didn't affect the leather. I soaked a cloth in vinegar, wiped, then saddle soaped and oiled.

I brought all of my tack home (horse lives at my parents place) and would spend an hour or so every evening in front of the TV until it was done. It took a few sessions, but it's all been sorted and cleaned. My house did smell like a tack shop for awhile lol.

I want to give a rave review of a product called (now) "Leather Honey" (It used to be known as Harness Honey) It's pricey and not super distributed- but you can order online or check their map for dealers. I think it's got to be the nicest leather restoration product out there.

I like the TV approach. I'd start with a really fast wet washcloth wipe outside just to get the major dust or cobwebs off- and then spread out an old bedsteet, and old beach towel on your carpet or wherever, a good movie, an old toothbrush, a pan of water, onestep... and then harness honey.

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh - and we are definitely not talking high quality, gorgeous show tack - that requires the Pony Club approach.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

LOL @ "in the house"! Seriously, no, there's too much stuff. I've got a jug of vinegar- hadn't thought of that.

Pony clubbers sound like a great idea- but none of those around. A friend of mine takes his pile to the Amish once a year and they (probably the kids) clean and condition it for him. I'm poor- can't afford that luxury.

The good bridles are usually in the house or a bag, and rarely get used so they're in good shape. Those I take my time and do a good job with. I like the lederbalsam (sp) for my expensive tack. I'll have to look for the Harness/Leather Honey. The lederbalsam smells like honey, so they might be similar.

Once you get everything clean, store it in a bin with some towels to separate everything. The towels help to absorb the extra moisture due to humidity and the bin keep the tack from getting dusty. Then you only need to do a quick check once a year to make sure its all still in good condition.

Someone reputable here (Canterlope, maybe?) had a great story iirc about putting a pile of tack in the washing machine? Wish my memory were better. I haven't been brave enough to try it, but might have to try a load of stray partial headstalls and see what happens...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl View Post
    Someone reputable here (Canterlope, maybe?) had a great story iirc about putting a pile of tack in the washing machine? Wish my memory were better. I haven't been brave enough to try it, but might have to try a load of stray partial headstalls and see what happens...
    I seriously am considering that!

I had some tack that had been hanging for a LONG time - was crusty and dusty - and I used Bensmom's handmade saddle soap - check it out on the Eventing forum. I posted on her FB page my before and after photos. That stuff is da bomb!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl View Post
    I have washed numerous leather items in the washing machine. I use Leather Therapy on the gentle cycle. I then let the leather dry, and then apply a good leather conditioner. Everything always looked great after.

A few months ago our barn cleaned out the tack room to make a donation pile for a TR group. Since I find tack cleaning cathartic I was the designated scrubber. With just one bottle of Leather CPR and a bucket, I cleaned about 3 saddles, 10 or 12 stirrup leathers, some girths and random bridles, etc. Everything came out looking (almost) brand new after looking throw away worthy pre-cleaning.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

A couple of good movies and a bottle of wine! Or, as a friend says, "if you have to do something unpleasant, find a friend to do it with you."

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    A few months ago our barn cleaned out the tack room to make a donation pile for a TR group. Since I find tack cleaning cathartic I was the designated scrubber. With just one bottle of Leather CPR and a bucket, I cleaned about 3 saddles, 10 or 12 stirrup leathers, some girths and random bridles, etc. Everything came out looking (almost) brand new after looking throw away worthy pre-cleaning.
    I love Leather CPR!
    It's only when a mosquito lands on your privates that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence. fb meme.

I love cleaning tack... I would honestly haul the whole pile of it into the house, set up a movie and a glass of wine and clean each piece (first with just a damp cloth to get the big dirt off, then whatever product). Once everything was clean I would assess what was worth conditioning. Perfect rainy day project.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Quote Originally Posted by betsyk View Post
    A couple of good movies and a bottle of wine! Or, as a friend says, "if you have to do something unpleasant, find a friend to do it with you."
    Lol! I see I'm not the only one!
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Horse-crazy kids that would looove to be around horse items for that long. Or kids earning their allowance, or kids wanting (a little) spending money.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    I want to give a rave review of a product called (now) "Leather Honey" (It used to be known as Harness Honey) It's pricey and not super distributed- but you can order online or check their map for dealers. I think it's got to be the nicest leather restoration product out there.

I like the TV approach. I'd start with a really fast wet washcloth wipe outside just to get the major dust or cobwebs off- and then spread out an old bedsteet, and old beach towel on your carpet or wherever, a good movie, an old toothbrush, a pan of water, onestep... and then harness honey.
    Just chiming in to say that I've used the harness honey with very good results. I haven't seen it around anywhere in forever but I'm sure you could find it online somewhere.