The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dressage Saddle for a Friesian

Hello Everyone!

I'm getting ready to get my first Friesian and I know they typically have a little broader/flatter back and large shoulders. What brands/models of saddles would be more likely to fit this breed/type of horse?

Thanks in advance!!

I have a friend with two (a mare and gelding) that are very different. After struggling with many saddles, they seem happiest with their Schleese Link II saddles. I am sure there are others out there, but this saddle is working well.

Niedersuss, County and Prestige. Good luck, hope you enjoy your new horse!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

I would stay away from County for that type of horse because of the shape of the trees they use.

I'm still looking for a good fit for my broad shouldered, witherless horse!

Mine is a Fryso Legacy, size 4. I like it, so far so good. I found my on ebay.

If you Google "Friesian Dressage Saddle" you will get lots of information.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post
    If you Google "Friesian Dressage Saddle" you will get lots of information.
    fwiw, my friend had a couple "Black Sterling Friesian" saddles, bought the mare from them with her custom saddle. They were really pretty horrible. She struggled with BSF, County, JRD. The horses are finally going well and no longer back sore in their Schleese.

Quote Originally Posted by TequilaMockingbird View Post
    I would stay away from County for that type of horse because of the shape of the trees they use.

I'm still looking for a good fit for my broad shouldered, witherless horse!
    Actually I have had good luck with County on she who resembles a barrel of Guinness
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

1 members found this post helpful.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Black Country makes wonderful saddles for the broad flat backed horse. When we bought one for our Percheron cross, the first time we put her in it she stretched her back up into it and sighed.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Like any other breeds, it depends on the individual horse. I had one that was quite wide with a big, laid back shoulder and a relatively flat back - he went quite well in a Custom Advantage. A friend rode one that had a slightly dippy, long back and was barely a medium width - she rode him in a Hulsebos. Another friend had a mare with a really dippy back and a medium wide - she is in some other Custom Saddlery saddle. Like Warmbloods, they come in many different shapes and sizes.

Borne

I had really good luck with a Frank Baines Reflex. Wide enough for him but narrow enough in the seat for me. The only saddle that I have ever sat in where my leg hangs properly.

Thanks for all the responses!

MysticOakRanch - Do you know if the Custom Advantage has a U or A shaped tree? I will admit, this particular saddle definitely interests me, but I was worried about the tree shape on it.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Actually I have had good luck with County on she who resembles a barrel of Guinness

Someone told me that that my mare (1/2 Friesian) & I "looked good together" today, and I wondered if it was b/c we were both "sturdy" gals.

She has a laid back shoulder, short, wide back.

Since moving to a new place (can no longer snorf down her pen mates' grain & is now eating grass hay, instead of alfalfa! OINK), she has really slimmed down, but she still is a beast. Her saddle came with her, but I heard they had a heck of a time getting one for her. She has a Mike Corcoran saddle that will def. need to be re-fit & re-flocked now that she looks less like a boat (maybe a smaller craft these days).

I ride my huge Haflinger gelding (gigantic shoulders, wide back, no withers) in a Duett Fidelio. We both love it Very comfy and fits those broad backs nicely with the hoop tree!

Most Friesian horses have not only big shoulders but broad withers as well. Typically, but not all, do best in a hoop or freedom tree such as some of the Black Country, Duett or Lovatt & Rickett models.
    If you are looking for a dressage saddle, the BC Eloquence X, Vinici X are a couple, the X indicating hoop tree.
    Lovatt & Ricketts has the Ellipse and Berkeley and the Concord although the Concord is being discontinued.
    In Duett, the Fidelio or the Largo.
    Frank Baines has the Omni Low Head which works for some.
    Thorowgood T8 Cob or Kent and Masters Cob is also a thought.
    You can look at many of these models at www.trumbullmtn.com. We are happy to answer any questions and also we have a good trial policy and can work long distance with tracings and photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post

Someone told me that that my mare (1/2 Friesian) & I "looked good together" today, and I wondered if it was b/c we were both "sturdy" gals.
    Sophie and I prefer "stout"
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I have never seen a Friesian with a "wide, flat back". I am sure they exist, but all the ones I have been around had huge shoulders, wide withers, and a short, curvy back. Very "s" shaped from the ears to tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    I have never seen a Friesian with a "wide, flat back". I am sure they exist, but all the ones I have been around had huge shoulders, wide withers, and a short, curvy back. Very "s" shaped from the ears to tail.
    Like most breeds, there are many variations. The short back is actually pretty unusual in a Friesian - they tend toward longer backs. Mine was short, flat, with a very strong loin and a fabulous canter - is that the norm? No, but they do exist. My friend's Friesian was narrow - the struggle to find a saddle that fit him was something that was narrow enough through the withers - he was a medium horse with a narrow wither. They are breeding toward a lighter, more modern type of horse now.

Quote Originally Posted by kris0227 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses!

MysticOakRanch - Do you know if the Custom Advantage has a U or A shaped tree? I will admit, this particular saddle definitely interests me, but I was worried about the tree shape on it.
    I think it is more of a traditional A tree - if your Friesian is REALLY wide with a very wide wither, you may need to look to the hoop tree - you can always call Custom (or any other company you are interested in) and ask them. My guy was pretty wide, but he didn't have an extra wide wither and his neck didn't come straight up, so he was really more like a wide Warmblood in his back.

Quote Originally Posted by kris0227 View Post
    Hello Everyone!

I'm getting ready to get my first Friesian and I know they typically have a little broader/flatter back and large shoulders. What brands/models of saddles would be more likely to fit this breed/type of horse?

Thanks in advance!!
    how far along (in training/age) is the Fiesian? what saddle is horse currently working in - this is always a good starting point if horse goes well in that particular saddle.