The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

All I can say is WTF

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by f4leggin View Post
    Ok, one last comment - I hope... If I were the owner of that horse shipped to you by mistake, and found out he/she had made an unnecessary 12 hour trailer trip - that would tick me off! Some horses ship well, but I have had a few (mares) that really suffer (ie: lose weight), on long trips.
    Please tell me you wouldn't be more ticked off for that horse or that owner than for yourself or your own horse???

Oh yes I would. My horse is sitting in a stall munching on hay (granted the wrong type) enjoying his/her day, while some poor horse has endure yet another 12 hours shipping for no good reason.

1 members found this post helpful.

OMG, I hope you horse will be OK. This is a situation in which suing the sonsofbeeps would be warranted, IMO. (loss/diversion and damage to your 'property' aka your beloved horse)
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

About 5 years ago one of my clients insisted on using them; I advised her against it, but they'd given her the lowest price and you know how that goes.

Well, the horse left CT sound and arrived in CO dead lame in all four feet, and was never able to be used again. The promised stops and hold-overs were never made, and I believe that horse never left that straight-stall for more than a week and contracted laminitis on the van. Vets couldn't find a way to make it "official," but I have no doubt given what happened to his feet in the aftermath.

To. Be. Avoided! There are many more trustworthy shippers out there.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by f4leggin View Post
    Oh yes I would. My horse is sitting in a stall munching on hay (granted the wrong type) enjoying his/her day, while some poor horse has endure yet another 12 hours shipping for no good reason.
    I do get your point; your horse was assuredly in quarantine. We are assuming the OP's horse was in Colorado Springs during the debacle... but he could've been on a truck going to some other destination and the shipper didn't want to 'fess up.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    One thing: when hauling with ANY shipper, be sure to get the DRIVER'S cell phone number/s. Not the company's, not the owner's, but the driver's. THEY are the parties who know the play-by-play of your trip. Having a direct line to the owner of the shipping company is a bonus but not helpful if their cell phones have any trouble connecting, and you don't want the driver to feel they are being ratted out over nothing. I have insisted that not only do I get the driver's number/s, but so does the person on the other end at the farm where the horse is being loaded. I also am sure to be very clear and get in writing what my expectations are: extra hay going along, etc. Pays dividends for sure. Don't "let them leave home without it". That way *we* communicate instead of harrassing the driver for unecessary stuff, and save the on-the-road phone calls for important stuff or timing related information.
    If you are going to ask for this, I hope you also plan to tip the driver.

IMO, it's an imposition on the driver. It also means that you don't trust the company to manage it's employees. You want to do that yourself.

It's just a different relationship with the driver, that's all. Be sure to tip the guy, that's all.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

All you would have said in the yelp review is, "They delivered the WRONG horse," and I think 99% of folks would stay clear of them!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

5 members found this post helpful.

OP, I used nationwide a while ago and also had a HORRIBLE experience. Basically my gelding was in transit for 9 days when it was supposed to be a 3 day trip. He got a huge cut in his nostril during the layup which needed to be stitched, but they never even bothered to tell me. He arrived straining to urinate a dark brown pee and was colicking. They neglected to tell me that he stopped eating hay and drinking shortly after he was on the trailer.

He got shipping fever (105), was hospitalized the day he arrived and was struggling to stay alive. Fortunately he pulled through.

I had to argue to get some money back to help pay his 5K vet bills after that.

Never, ever again will I use them. Adding insult to injury, this was my first experience in horse ownership. Oh and of course he ended up with horrendous ulcers.

I appreciate the OP's post about Nationwide. I use a shipper for a horse every few months, and you can be assured I will never, ever call them for a quote again.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

i am pretty disgusted with most of the commercial shippers, now having used 4 different ones going from SC to NH.
    Just lousy service and care...and I rent the entire truck, so its only my horses on it.
    I just find it incredible how many times I have heard we got behind an accident and got delayed. Sure, right, I am on the same road driving my rig, why am I not aware or see this? Brookledge took 32 hours to get my horses here on an 18 hour trip. Hmmmm, could not tell me where they were for those extra 14 hours? I drove and made it in 22 hours with naps. Kurt was totally not pleasnat that I wanted to know...lousy customer service if something goes wrong.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post

IMO, it's an imposition on the driver. It also means that you don't trust the company to manage it's employees. You want to do that yourself.

It's just a different relationship with the driver, that's all. Be sure to tip the guy, that's all.
    No, it means I want to be able to be in touch with my live property and where it is, especially in the event of a delay. Plans change and offices have business hours, as do I, where horses (or any other cargo) in transit don't. That's all.

The point about tipping is a good one and one I never thought of until I read it here. I shall keep that idea in my back pocket for future use, because I do expect exceptional care to be taken. The first time I ever had someone haul a horse for me, they were a private carrier and they set the bar extremely high. She has since retired from the business but she remains the yardstick by which I measure all others. I had her hauling a yearling for me from Virginia who had never been off the farm before and he arrived here in as good or better shape than he would if I had hauled him myself. I actually invited the lady to use my guest quarters for the night but she was a very modest person and declined, so I let her hookup her trailer to my outlet in the drive for the night and took her for breakfast the next morning on her way out.

Quote Originally Posted by Serigraph View Post
    OP, I used nationwide a while ago and also had a HORRIBLE experience. Basically my gelding was in transit for 9 days when it was supposed to be a 3 day trip. He got a huge cut in his nostril during the layup which needed to be stitched, but they never even bothered to tell me. He arrived straining to urinate a dark brown pee and was colicking. They neglected to tell me that he stopped eating hay and drinking shortly after he was on the trailer.

He got shipping fever (105), was hospitalized the day he arrived and was struggling to stay alive. Fortunately he pulled through.

I had to argue to get some money back to help pay his 5K vet bills after that.

Never, ever again will I use them. Adding insult to injury, this was my first experience in horse ownership. Oh and of course he ended up with horrendous ulcers.
    Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post
    i am pretty disgusted with most of the commercial shippers, now having used 4 different ones going from SC to NH.
    Just lousy service and care...and I rent the entire truck, so its only my horses on it.
    I just find it incredible how many times I have heard we got behind an accident and got delayed. Sure, right, I am on the same road driving my rig, why am I not aware or see this? Brookledge took 32 hours to get my horses here on an 18 hour trip. Hmmmm, could not tell me where they were for those extra 14 hours? I drove and made it in 22 hours with naps. Kurt was totally not pleasnat that I wanted to know...lousy customer service if something goes wrong.
    More info for the ol' back pocket!

I agree the most commercial shippers are less than wonderful about keeping in touch. They are like gypsies in many respects. That being said, I have used NationWide to ship coast to coast several times and have been happy with them. I think that most shippers are going to have a mixed review.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

I will be hugging my drivers next time I see them after hearing all of these horror stories! True dealing with slightly different situation coming from a TB stud, so mainly racehorses coming and going but same company deals with all of our mares/foals and yearlings being transported across Australia.

Only ever had a couple issues with injuries. We don't worry about timing. We know what time to generally expect them depending where they are coming from.

P.

I highly recommend Drexler out of Hampshire, Illinois. I rented their rig last year to bring my herd down to Fl, and I was given both drivers cell numbers, plus contact number to their office manager.
    They were on time to load, handled every horse with care, and even brought my 2 large dogs down in their crates.
    They stayed in phone contact with my husband who was waiting in Fl for them, and they arrived 1/2 hr early.
    Horses were in great shape - none stressed at all. Dogs were fine too.
    Wonderful pros!

I will never get the 'can not get in touch with the driver' excuse. It is the era where just about everyone has a cell phone. I am guessing the driver has one.

Do they really think we are stupid enough to fall for that? They need to come up with a better excuse.

My BM also hauls, but I have heard excellent things about Drexler as well, and I believe they are used to transport racehorses to both Arlington and Hawthorne in the Chicago area, so you know that's a lot of money right there.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post

I keep thinking about your response and I have come to the conclusion that I see it differently -- except the tipping part; I think the driver should get a tip.

1) As for the calling being an imposition on the driver, I see it a from a different slant. It is more work for the driver. I agree that more work can be an imposition, but in my opinion, it is part of the job. You could break down any of his/her tasks and call them impositions; checking paperwork, loading horses, unloading horses, but it is work which has to be done. Good customer service and good communication are more work. A good company provides good customer service.

2) You say that calling the driver means you don't trust the company; I think that is a stretch and incorrect in many instances. When I shipped, I wanted to know what the horses looked like when they were picked up. The dispatcher doesn't know that, the payroll clerk doesn't know that, the office manager doesn't know that. Only the driver knows what the horses look like and can give correct answers to specific questions which the client is asking. In the same vein, only the driver can give a detailed, concise description, "It was dark when I loaded. She led well, loaded without incident, looked a little thin but healthy enough for travel," or, "She was spooky and difficult and acted like she had never seen a horse trailer. It took me and my partner 45 minutes to get her on the van but she settled well."

Can the client ask the dispatcher to relay a question? Sure, but that is cumbersome, inefficient, and prone to error, not to mention time-consuming. I did ask that question of the company I used and never got a response. It would have been helpful to know that they picked up two bags of bones; I would have been a little better prepared. So in my instance, it had nothing to do with trusting the company.

Another reason for contacting the driver directly has to do with delivery times. When the truck was within a few hours of arrival, the driver gave me his cell number to coordinate delivery. This had nothing to do with trusting the company. It was simply a logistical necessity. I really appreciated the communication so that I didn't have to wait at the barn for six hours.