The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default It's been said already, but it bears repeating...Nationwide Horse transport

Hey all,

I just shipped my horse across the country and used NWHT for two reasons:
    1) It was the ONLY company willing to go to the rural area I was heading
    2) Aside from some less-than-desirable timing issues, everyone I had talked to had had good experiences.

Too late, I found the old thread on here about NWHT so I just want to share my experience and save others the trouble.

My yelp review:

I own a gelding who was shipped from Oregon, WI to Hesperus, CO. He was scheduled to depart on either June 2 or 3. On June 2, the Nationwide hauler contacted my pick-up person with a four hour window and was late. While I am understanding of a delay, I cannot tolerate the lack of communication I, the owner of the horse, received. No one from Nationwide Horse Transport contacted me to confirm a final shipping date, a four-hour window, or even notification that he was on a trailer. Despite many messages being left at the office, my call was not returned. I finally spoke to customer service after calling again myself in the late morning of June 3. More frightening, the hauler informed the pick-up contact that he was not going to take my horse's hay because Nationwide fed only grass hay to minimize impaction. As a Veterinarian, I know that the best way to minimize the chance of colic is to minimize diet changes. The hauler, apparently, did not share that belief.

The horse arrived in Colorado Springs on Tuesday, June 4. I was not notified of his arrival or pending shipment to Hesperus. I called in to receive a drop-off estimate and was told he would arrive on 6/5. I was initially given a four hour window of 3p-7p, which was extended to 5p to 9p, and then ultimately 8p to midnight. The drive from Colorado Springs to Hesperus is only six hours long, so I fail to see how giving a reasonable four-hour estimate is a challenge. Additionally, I was told the hauler would arrive in a standard horse trailer and not a semi truck. When the semi truck trailer finally arrived at 1 am, I was faced with the prospect of walking my horse 1.5 miles to the barn. Had the truck arrived during the originally scheduled 3p-7p window, it could have very easily negotiated the driveway; this is not a reasonable or safe option at night.

The biggest failure of my entire experience occurred with the attempted delivery on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. When the haulers opened up the trailer, it was obvious that my horse was not on board. Instead of a 16.3 HH bay thoroughbred with a star, white cornet band, blue halter, black bell boots and a tattoo, your company attempted to deliver a small 15 HH (approximate) chestnut horse with a red halter. Had anyone taken the time to look at the paperwork and match physical descriptions to papers, it would not have occurred. They had the correct paperwork! This speaks to the incredible carelessness and irresponsibility of this company. The haulers who had picked up and delivered the wrong horse didnt know where my horse was. Again, I could not get a hold of anyone within the company despite this being an emergency situation, with a potentially lost horse. I shudder to think what the owners of the chestnut horse know; I hope they've been informed of the error.

Wednesday morning, I did finally receive a call from Brenda who assured me that Drake was in Colorado Springs and would be shipped that day. Again, throughout the day, communication was poor. The central office couldn't reach the driver and therefore couldn't contact me with a time estimate. Between my very late night, and again, waiting for another delivery, I was forced to miss even more time from work. I had to cancel on sick patients because of the inability of Nationwide to properly assemble paperwork and transport horses responsibly. Finally, the hauler was reached and I was informed that my horse had been stranded in Alamosa due to mechanical issues. By the time it was all straightened out, I was again told that they would arrive around 2 am. A six hour drive became a 13 hour day in a trailer for him.

When he did finally arrive, it was immediately obvious that his feet were destroyed. He had pristine feet, shod on all four, prior to transport. When he walked off the trailer, two shoes had been pulled and one was hanging by a nail, sideways off of his right hind hoof. The hoof wall was shredded in front two feet up to the cornet band, and the remaining nail on the right hind was poking at the sole of the foot. It is a miracle that it didn't puncture the foot. Again, this speaks to the horrendous carelessness of your company. He was in a stall in Colorado Springs for two days; at some point, I would think a stall cleaner should notice a shoe hanging off, and feet that are shredded, not to mention a lame horse.

Under NO circumstances should you use this company. Stay far, far away.

So, there ya go. Thank goodness he's reasonably safe, and we'll begin the process of saving his feet. Seems to be mentally okay, but yikes.

21 members found this post helpful.

I have used this company a few times and had them referred to me by a VERY reputable operation that has farms in Florida, Colorado and Illinois. Don't know why you had this experience but they were good for me when I used them. My only complaint was they were running a bit ahead of schedule and almost beat me home from work. Maybe they have changed since then.

Quote Originally Posted by karen View Post
    Hey all,

I just shipped my horse across the country and used NWHT for two reasons:
    1) It was the ONLY company willing to go to the rural area I was heading
    2) Aside from some less-than-desirable timing issues, everyone I had talked to had had good experiences.

Too late, I found the old thread on here about NWHT so I just want to share my experience and save others the trouble.

My yelp review:

I own a gelding who was shipped from Oregon, WI to Hesperus, CO. He was scheduled to depart on either June 2 or 3. On June 2, the Nationwide hauler contacted my pick-up person with a four hour window and was late. While I am understanding of a delay, I cannot tolerate the lack of communication I, the owner of the horse, received. No one from Nationwide Horse Transport contacted me to confirm a final shipping date, a four-hour window, or even notification that he was on a trailer. Despite many messages being left at the office, my call was not returned. I finally spoke to customer service after calling again myself in the late morning of June 3. More frightening, the hauler informed the pick-up contact that he was not going to take my horse's hay because Nationwide fed only grass hay to minimize impaction. As a Veterinarian, I know that the best way to minimize the chance of colic is to minimize diet changes. The hauler, apparently, did not share that belief.

The horse arrived in Colorado Springs on Tuesday, June 4. I was not notified of his arrival or pending shipment to Hesperus. I called in to receive a drop-off estimate and was told he would arrive on 6/5. I was initially given a four hour window of 3p-7p, which was extended to 5p to 9p, and then ultimately 8p to midnight. The drive from Colorado Springs to Hesperus is only six hours long, so I fail to see how giving a reasonable four-hour estimate is a challenge. Additionally, I was told the hauler would arrive in a standard horse trailer and not a semi truck. When the semi truck trailer finally arrived at 1 am, I was faced with the prospect of walking my horse 1.5 miles to the barn. Had the truck arrived during the originally scheduled 3p-7p window, it could have very easily negotiated the driveway; this is not a reasonable or safe option at night.

The biggest failure of my entire experience occurred with the attempted delivery on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. When the haulers opened up the trailer, it was obvious that my horse was not on board. Instead of a 16.3 HH bay thoroughbred with a star, white cornet band, blue halter, black bell boots and a tattoo, your company attempted to deliver a small 15 HH (approximate) chestnut horse with a red halter. Had anyone taken the time to look at the paperwork and match physical descriptions to papers, it would not have occurred. They had the correct paperwork! This speaks to the incredible carelessness and irresponsibility of this company. The haulers who had picked up and delivered the wrong horse didnt know where my horse was. Again, I could not get a hold of anyone within the company despite this being an emergency situation, with a potentially lost horse. I shudder to think what the owners of the chestnut horse know; I hope they've been informed of the error.

Wednesday morning, I did finally receive a call from Brenda who assured me that Drake was in Colorado Springs and would be shipped that day. Again, throughout the day, communication was poor. The central office couldn't reach the driver and therefore couldn't contact me with a time estimate. Between my very late night, and again, waiting for another delivery, I was forced to miss even more time from work. I had to cancel on sick patients because of the inability of Nationwide to properly assemble paperwork and transport horses responsibly. Finally, the hauler was reached and I was informed that my horse had been stranded in Alamosa due to mechanical issues. By the time it was all straightened out, I was again told that they would arrive around 2 am. A six hour drive became a 13 hour day in a trailer for him.

When he did finally arrive, it was immediately obvious that his feet were destroyed. He had pristine feet, shod on all four, prior to transport. When he walked off the trailer, two shoes had been pulled and one was hanging by a nail, sideways off of his right hind hoof. The hoof wall was shredded in front two feet up to the cornet band, and the remaining nail on the right hind was poking at the sole of the foot. It is a miracle that it didn't puncture the foot. Again, this speaks to the horrendous carelessness of your company. He was in a stall in Colorado Springs for two days; at some point, I would think a stall cleaner should notice a shoe hanging off, and feet that are shredded, not to mention a lame horse.

Under NO circumstances should you use this company. Stay far, far away.

So, there ya go. Thank goodness he's reasonably safe, and we'll begin the process of saving his feet. Seems to be mentally okay, but yikes.
    I bolded part of your post to comment that it is easy to see how a six-hour trip could be stretched into an unknown, when several stops are made with unforeseen problems loading or unloading difficult horses, or having to wait for people whose horses should have been ready to load, etc.

Having said that, OH MY GOD what a nightmare!!

Most of the problems could have been prevented with communication! The shoe thing is unbelievable! So sorry to hear about this disaster.

Karen, I'm so sorry you had such a terrible experience and that your horse had to suffer through it. This is inexcusable! Thank you for letting people here know what they can expect from this company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

2 members found this post helpful.

Holy crap. Poor communication leads to them delivering you...the wrong horse...in an inappropriate trailer to reach previously discussed destination...the middle of the night. Then more bad communication, they find your horse and ship him to you...late...and in bad shape.
    I hope you didn't pay for this! I hope your boy is in good shape soon!
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Wow I'm so sorry that happened to you. I had a good experience with them last year when I shipped my gelding from Columbia, SC to Greeley, CO. He arrived on time and in great shape. The drivers were courteous and communicative throughout the whole trip.

Glad to hear your horse finally arrived safe and reasonably sound.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

They brought the wrong horse???? Like even the wrong gender!! It's not like they confused a solid black gelding with a mahogany bay gelding with no white....they brought you a mare???

They need a Loading Czar to get the right horse on the right rig. Horrible mess for you!!!

Just reading that was giving me high blood pressure!! Geesh glad it's over for you! On a side note, is it just me, or does it seem like you hear the "mechanical problems" excuse A LOT from shippers??

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fivesocks View Post
    Just reading that was giving me high blood pressure!! Geesh glad it's over for you! On a side note, is it just me, or does it seem like you hear the "mechanical problems" excuse A LOT from shippers??
    Never heard that. Only really bad experience I have personally had from a shipper was them trying to charge me more upon arrival than was agreed upon in writing, and that was a private carrier. Nationwide took my horses from Colorado to Illinois and Ohio to Illinois, respectively. But it has been awhile. Most recently I have used Tony Aprile Horse Transportation and had good results both times as well...Tony is very local to me and so his timing for his trips has worked better.

I had a shipper stick my newly pregnant broodmare in the indoor arena with a bunch of other horses who were turned out in there overnight. They said there wasn't a stall available which means they not only walked past her empty stall but the empty stalls of all the horses in the arena too. They had my number and the barn owner's number who lived on the property but chose not to call. Thankfully it turned out ok but I did not receive a bill because they knew they screwed up.

Wow. Reading this makes me even happier with the shipper who brought our pony from Michigan to Kansas! Everything was on time, as promised ... almost to the minute! Got two phone calls along the way and my pony stepped off the trailer healthy and bright-eyed. Have only shipped the one time, so I feel very fortunate!

1 members found this post helpful.

This is crazy! I'm so sorry this happened, and I hope your poor horse's feet end up okay!

I can't get over the fact that they delivered the WRONG HORSE! I can understand that things happen and equipment can break down, but that mistake just seems inexcusable. I am normally very calm and understanding but I would have had an absolute panic attack if I didn't know where my horse was and I would certainly not be paying for the service.
    Juliette Beauchamp, LVT
    http://turtlemountainfarm.com/

One thing: when hauling with ANY shipper, be sure to get the DRIVER'S cell phone number/s. Not the company's, not the owner's, but the driver's. THEY are the parties who know the play-by-play of your trip. Having a direct line to the owner of the shipping company is a bonus but not helpful if their cell phones have any trouble connecting, and you don't want the driver to feel they are being ratted out over nothing. I have insisted that not only do I get the driver's number/s, but so does the person on the other end at the farm where the horse is being loaded. I also am sure to be very clear and get in writing what my expectations are: extra hay going along, etc. Pays dividends for sure. Don't "let them leave home without it". That way *we* communicate instead of harrassing the driver for unecessary stuff, and save the on-the-road phone calls for important stuff or timing related information.

I have shipped many many horses over the years, and been using Nationwide for quite awhile in addition to other shippers. Over the years, I have learned when shipping a horse to be patient, allow for arrival/pickup outside of the window, and know that it is not an exact science. My experiences with nationwide have been good. I would not be too upset about delays due to ANYTHING. Could be mechanical, could be weather, could be a horse that doesn't want to load, could be a driveway at a prior stop that was impossible to negotiate... In other words, of all the things you mentioned, the only two that I think are noteworthy and would concern me are the change of diet and the condition of the feet. As for the wrong horse, I have had that happen too - My first horse I shipped from Europe - to LAX. was very excited to get him after he cleared quarantine. This was a horse I had only seen video of. They bring him out to me, and my trainer (who had ridden/seen him in person), says wait, that's not him. I was glad about that, because the horse standing in front of me wasn't what I expected. Turns out they had sent MY horse with someone else earlier in the day. Took about 1/2 hour, but they tracked him down, and a few hours later we were on our way home. It was quite a start to my experience importing horses. Now, you can imagine this quarantine place right next to LAX had lots of experience with horses and most of the ones at that point esp were high dollar animals. So, even the best folks make a mistake once and a while.

Quote Originally Posted by f4leggin View Post
    I have shipped many many horses over the years, and been using Nationwide for quite awhile in addition to other shippers. Over the years, I have learned when shipping a horse to be patient, allow for arrival/pickup outside of the window, and know that it is not an exact science. My experiences with nationwide have been good. I would not be too upset about delays due to ANYTHING. Could be mechanical, could be weather, could be a horse that doesn't want to load, could be a driveway at a prior stop that was impossible to negotiate... In other words, of all the things you mentioned, the only two that I think are noteworthy and would concern me are the change of diet and the condition of the feet. As for the wrong horse, I have had that happen too - My first horse I shipped from Europe - to LAX. was very excited to get him after he cleared quarantine. This was a horse I had only seen video of. They bring him out to me, and my trainer (who had ridden/seen him in person), says wait, that's not him. I was glad about that, because the horse standing in front of me wasn't what I expected. Turns out they had sent MY horse with someone else earlier in the day. Took about 1/2 hour, but they tracked him down, and a few hours later we were on our way home. It was quite a start to my experience importing horses. Now, you can imagine this quarantine place right next to LAX had lots of experience with horses and most of the ones at that point esp were high dollar animals. So, even the best folks make a mistake once and a while.
    You cannot possibly be serious that you don't consider delivering the WRONG HORSE to be a "noteworthy" problem! This does not fall into the category of "oh, well, everyone makes mistakes." These people are paid a lot of money to ship and deliver LIVE cargo that is often worth enormous sums (and/or is very emotionally valuable to the owner). Would you feel the same way if the hospital sent you home with the wrong baby? Ah, well, everyone makes mistakes...

9 members found this post helpful.

What I said or meant was, it happens. the reason for my story, which is true. I paid probably around 7K to have that horse shipped, and getting into a tizzy over what happened would not have gotten that horse to me any quicker. In fact, since all horses coming into LA at that time quarantined at the same place, from that point on, I had excellent service from them. If they had lost the horse permanently, or he had been injured in any way because of the mistake then I would have done something about it obviously. No, I don't think it was that big of a deal. Picked up the wrong horse in Oregon, transported it to CO - that would be a big deal.. I guess I'm more layed back than most.

Quote Originally Posted by f4leggin View Post
    What I said or meant was, it happens. the reason for my story, which is true. I paid probably around 7K to have that horse shipped, and getting into a tizzy over what happened would not have gotten that horse to me any quicker. In fact, since all horses coming into LA at that time quarantined at the same place, from that point on, I had excellent service from them. If they had lost the horse permanently, or he had been injured in any way because of the mistake then I would have done something about it obviously. No, I don't think it was that big of a deal. Picked up the wrong horse in Oregon, transported it to CO - that would be a big deal.. I guess I'm more layed back than most.
    I guess so. I know I work really damned hard for my money, so when I spend a bunch of it, I expect service and things to be done the way I want them. If they are not, then the boxing gloves come out.

f4leggin - Wow, yes, you ARE laid back! Are you sure you are not tranquilized? LOL.

7 members found this post helpful.

Ok, one last comment - I hope... If I were the owner of that horse shipped to you by mistake, and found out he/she had made an unnecessary 12 hour trailer trip - that would tick me off! Some horses ship well, but I have had a few (mares) that really suffer (ie: lose weight), on long trips.

1 members found this post helpful.