The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Helmet Straps

Can someone explain to me why everyone seems to be wearing their helmets with dangling loose chin straps that would do absolutely NO GOOD on impact? This is really frightening to me.

I am constantly tightening mine so that it fits flush against my throat.
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm guilty of wearing a very loose chin strap. I can't stand the feeling of it touching my chin or neck makes me gag. Safe well no but I've been riding with it like that since I was a child and as we know some habits are hard to break.
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

5 members found this post helpful.

Because they have no concern for their own safety or are doing it in defiance of having to wear a helmet at all.

I have a friend who is a steward who will make people tighten their straps or get off their horses at shows. It's in the rulebook.

This is such a pet peeve of mine. What the hell is the point of wearing it if you're going to have inches of space between the strap and your head? Same with the people who ride around with their helmet not even buckled at all.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have had a judge call down to the ingate and have me tell people that they needed to tighten their chin straps or they wouldn't be used in the class as it was improper attire.

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Tighten it up!

I agree it frustrates me to see people riding around with their straps loose or not even attached. I have seen these same people fall and the helmet go flying - resulting in a concussion. I wish more shows would insist on having the strap tightened or the rider can get off the horse.

You only have one head and while I hate wearing a helmet in the heat, I wear it every time every ride even if I am just walking.

Geesh, is that fad starting again?
    Honestly, I always found it to look sloppy.
    I don't like the feel of the strap being tight, but it is tight enough that it is against my with a bit of pressure. After a while, I forget it is there.
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

I would guess that it is worse to have strap loose than to have no strap at all.

I can fit two fingers thorough my chinstrap and chin. I hate it being too tight and honestly my helmet is quite snug so even when I hang my head, it doesn't come off. It does not need to choke you to be protecting you. The pad rests lightly on my chin, not like it is hanging.

Honestly if they want to wear their chin straps like that then let them. What dog do you have in the fight? Does it really effect you or your ride?
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

This drives me crazy. What is even worse is those riders who, immediately upon completing their GP jumper course, unbuckle their chin straps while walking out of the arena. Why even bother?! Keep a proper lid on it the ENTIRE TIME you are on a horse. This means a well-fitted helmet with an appropriately snug chin strap until you are dismounted. Nobody actually likes a tight strap but you can make them so they're reasonably snug yet not choking you.

I ride with a fairly loose chinstrap. It's not a sign that I have poor morals, am mentally limited or have a rampant disregard for my own safety - it is, as someone mentioned above, simply because I absolutely cannot stand to have anything touching my neck. Not just, "Oh, I don't like that" - gagging and flailing and full-blown panic attack if something unexpectedly touches (or I think that something's going to touch) my neck. After years of experience, I have found that freaking out while sitting on 1300lbs of temperamental flight animal is not the best idea, so we've adapted.

Really, it is not the crime against humanity that people might think it is. I have been riding with a fairly loose chinstrap for my entire life (which has been of the "multiple, multiple decades" count). I have fallen off in that time - lots of times. I have bailed off the side. I have lawndarted. I have taken down a jump with my face. I have had a rotational fall. I have been flipped over on. I have misjudged the distance to the ground while dismounting (that one was awkward). In all of those times, I have never had my helmet go flying off my head - I assume because it, you know... fits.

I have never heard someone say anything about how sloppy my helmet looks or how I'm being defiant. If people are saying that behind my back, well, whatever. I don't particularly care about what certainly very, very bored people are talking about to entertain themselves. If I get stopped at a gate and told to tighten it up, I'd explain my case. No good? Fine. I'll just not show there again.