The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Buying Pre-fab Run-in Sheds?

Anyone have any experience? I'm considering buying 2, one 10 x 12 for the pony paddock and a 12 x 24 for a larger field. I know there are many options available, would love to hear other's experiences, including companies to use or avoid, what kind of site prep was done, etc. We're in Central VA if that makes a difference.
    Juliette Beauchamp, LVT
    http://turtlemountainfarm.com/

We're near Lexington, KY, bought 2 12x36 and have been 100% happy with them - from Two Brothers.

What did you pay for them (if you don't mind me asking)? Feel free to pm if you'd prefer. I'll Google the company and see if they are even available around here. Thanks!
    Juliette Beauchamp, LVT
    http://turtlemountainfarm.com/

Ours came from Amish builders. My DH leveled the area and put in a gravel base. Our oldest is a 2005 model and still love it. On our 12 x 24 shed we added an overhang on the front which is added on on site (otherwise too large for transport) The horses love being under it for shade but can still get more breeze. I wish I had one put on our older shed.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I've bought 3 from the outfit that has offices in Goochland and Louisa with free delivery in a 40 mile radius. I've been happy with them. Just be warned that the battens are pine, so if your horses are beavers they will be able to chew them down. Won't stay pristine looking for long and need to keep a close eye on managing the protruding nail heads. Let me know if you have any specific questions or would like to come see them after 4-5 years of use.

Mine are plunked flat on the ground. I wasn't planning on that to be permanent, though, and it's been two years... I had better get them off the ground, in the New England climate. Very happy with them; ordered through WoodTex, but, they're pretty far away and the shipping could be prohibitive to your area.

I tried to find someone local to build the sheds onsite, but in the end, ordering them pre-fab and having them shipped was a lot nicer than dealing with the lack of interest in the job from local builders, and also was less expensive.

Anchor them down! That's my advice. I had a few in Colorado, they were great, but at some point, I called them my "flipping" sheds, because they loved to flip in the wind... Once anchored, I had no problems. Mine were 12x24, made from metal with a plywood lining on the inside.

We worked with Triton Barn Systems on our larger, 8-stall barn, but they will design anything you want. I was so happy with their customer service, and how they stayed in touch throughout the whole project. Might be an option for you. I felt like the price was extremely reasonable for the quality and I could always get ahold of them if I needed to.

Two of the plusses are 1. you don't need a building permit. and 2. you do not have to pay taxes on them.

Mine are great,very tight, and from a material that they have not chewed. We put down a stonedust base, and it works great and it never floods. My only complaint is that I wish they were higher.
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt