The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So heartbroken... Foal fractured short pastern.

Our filly came in lame last night. No swelling of joints, no fever and was obviously uncomfortable but not three legged lame. Vet decided to x-ray and found a fracture in the short pastern. I am so heart sick. She will be contacting AU to see what they recommend, but I am sure they will need to do surgery to keep it from moving.

No clue how she did it. All I can hope for now is that we can secure it and keep her calm and pray it heals.

Have any of you had this before?

No experience, but wishing for the best outcome for you & your filly.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

No, no experience of it, but how horrible, I hope it heals ok...jingles sent your way.

My filly had a fracture. It was not dislocated so we elected NOT to do surgery. We had a cast put on and she healed very quickly.
    We were advised by a medical school that does a lot of expensive cows as in 'worth a million'

They were extremely knowledgeable about fractures since they dealt with many calf fractures. Your average equine vet may not get to see too many foal fractures.
    Good luck to you for a positive outcome. Expert vet services are KEY!
    Our filly is 100 % sound thanks to fast and expert vet care....not to mention our intensive home care.

1 members found this post helpful.

I went through this. The mare steped on her week old foal. They simply cast it. (Had to change the cast every 6-7 days to accomadate growth of the foal.) The break healed wonderfully. The vets said that if anything the foal would have stronger bone where the break had been! I did have to keep the mare and foal stalled for the duration af the casting as the vet didn't want the foal to play and get sores inside the cast. This has been almost 20 years ago and never been a problem for the colt all his working life. Hope all goes as well for your foal!

4 members found this post helpful.

Jingles and prayers for your foal. Being a foal, the healing could be really good as everything is still forming and growing. Hope it goes well. You are probably in Alabama -- Coosa Valley Equine Center and Dr. Ed Murray are fabulous -- they are in Pell City. I would trust him with my life! Good luck!
    PennyG

I knew one a while back that was in a race horse foal. Owner elected to have it casted. The vet changed it every 5 or so days. It healed in less than a month.

Thank you all for the jingles and experiences. We are currently looking at just casting. Very glad to hear this has worked for other! Will keep everyone posted on her progress.

My sister had a colt whose dam stepped on his hind leg and broke the canon bone. He had surgery to secure the fracture and then a cast for six weeks. We changed it frequently too. Since he was so small, it was easy to lay him down for the cast changes and he eventually wasn't even tranqed for them. It took a year afterward to convince him he didn't need to lay down for the shoer.

He was sound and rideable, though the diagonal front foot was a bit clubby, possibly genetic, possibly due to the problem with the rear leg. So make sure your aftercare includes a diligent farrier who will work with your vet to help keep the filly balanced.
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

Hoping she heals quickly for you!
    Mary/New Horizons Haflinger Sport Horses
    Standing Stellar TVR, lifetime licensed with WE, RPSI, AWS, AHR
    www.newhorizonshaflingers.com
    www.facebook.com/NewHorizonsHaflingers

Good news! Ok vet was just out and took x-rays again due to conflicting opinion. Could not find a clear fracture, but think she has some mild inflammation going on in there. We are going to stall rest at this point and keep an eye on her as well as give her nothing other than hay and water (she has only been on soaked alfalfa/timothy pellets and beat pulp with a little smartgut because she had an ulcer scare a few weeks ago). We are hoping stall rest and removing all other food sources will help.

Great news! The young have a wonderful capacity to heal very well. Sending jingles and full recovery wishes.

Also jingling for her and keeping her in my thoughts and prayers. That's good news from the vet!

No info, just wanted to say "jingles!!" and subscribe so I can find out the positive outcome

Default Jingles & AO ~

Jingles & AO for your filly ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Crossing my fingers for a good outcome for your filly!

Jingles for your filly! Hope she has a speedy and uneventful recovery!
    Juliette Beauchamp, LVT
    http://turtlemountainfarm.com/

How is she now?
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives