The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul. 15, 2003
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    4,343

    Default

    When your meeting is in a conference room with a west facing window (thus warm) and mid-meeting you get a whiff of your shoes and remember that before work you walked into the horse's stall in your flats and squished into the pee spot. You hope no one else notices the aroma...
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch


    3 members found this post helpful.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2000
    Location
    Rochester,NY,USA
    Posts
    7,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    When foaling out mares, I was buying fleet enemas by the bucket full.
    I did get some strange looks.
    I get the same look when I'm buying 6 tubes of K-Y Jelly (and I'm 67 yrs old)!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!


    3 members found this post helpful.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun. 1, 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    11,456

    Default

    I went to the petstore after the barn (wearing breeches and my 6 year old filthy dirty and cracked ariats with the ratty laces) and some kid said "hey I like your shoes, where did you get them?"

    I had to look down to realize that I was wearing what looked like the currently trendy leggings and booties.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan. 21, 2008
    Location
    Dexter, MI
    Posts
    1,204

    Default

    1) That time when you wear your barn Danskos to the office on casual Friday (you've spit cleaned them in the car that morning) and you notice "Barn Smell" in the middle of a particularly well-attended staff meeting later that morning. The sniggering from your colleagues as they cover their noses doesn't help!

    2) That moment when you you're called to the ER for a DD (minor)accident and realize that you're in a ripped sweatshirt with horse snot all over it, breeches with the ripped full seat that you only use for schooling at home, helmet hair and filthy half chaps and boots. Not my most shining moment!!

    3) That moment when the stock boys at the grocery store meet you at the front door with a bag of free "past their prime" carrots because they know you have horses and you always buy carrots when you come in.

    4) That moment when you don't bat an eye on your horses special shoes that cost $150 a pop (he's just shod in front for god's sake!), but you bypass the regular shoe store for Payless because shoes are BOGO at 29.95!
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer


    5 members found this post helpful.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Apr. 9, 2012
    Location
    NYC=center of the universe
    Posts
    1,985

    Default

    When you buy ├╝ber-pricey custom boots for yourself and spend big money on a custom saddle, and a dream horse. But you still live in a one-bedroom apartment. And don't get a designer interview suit even though you have 5 pairs of Tailored Sportsman Trophy Hunter breeches.

    When you go to a training class in your winter barn boots (Uggs) and folks complain about a funky smell, you assume it's coming from you and you are just unable to smell it. Yep.

    When the car wash guys think you're into S&M when they see the dressage whip in the trunk.

    When you're laid off, you decide to take a sabbatical and spend it with your horses, instead of looking for a job right away!! Yeah, it was great!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!


    3 members found this post helpful.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr. 9, 2012
    Location
    NYC=center of the universe
    Posts
    1,985

    Default

    I forgot: when you don't have kids because your horses are too important to you!!!!!! Yeah!!!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!


    4 members found this post helpful.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug. 20, 2012
    Location
    Rutland, England, by way of Hawaii
    Posts
    217

    Default

    When you go for a boob ultrasound and three bits of hay fall out of your bra when removing it for the procedure, while the fourth piece sticks, awkwardly, in your cleavage (I had rushed to give the horses some hay before going to the hospital for my appointment).


    2 members found this post helpful.

  8. #28

    Default

    To avoid perception of being the "crazy horse lady" among friends and family, you vow to stop posting horsey things on Facebook ... and then realize you have nothing to post on Facebook!


    13 members found this post helpful.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    43,058

    Default

    Just happened, friend had asked for directions and I had given: "Going East on such street and when you pass the large multi-trunk cedar elm, next turn right".

    Friend reported back: "I just got the multi-trunk and thought that was good enough, could not remember which kind of tree anyway.
    Found it fine, but why don't you just tell me to turn at Mc Donald's?


    2 members found this post helpful.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug. 28, 2012
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    I forgot: when you don't have kids because your horses are too important to you!!!!!! Yeah!!!!
    Me too!


    2 members found this post helpful.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Mar. 27, 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,794

    Default

    This was me, only I had been cleaning mare titties.

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    And then you dig out your debit card and as you key in the numbers you realize your fingernails are filthy -- even though you thought you had scrubbed out the gunky detritus of ear-bug scrapings before you left the barn.
    You are what you dare.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    [QUOTE=Lauruffian;

    When you can't tell if it's a tanline or dust.

    When you're house shopping and take 32 photos of the barn and turn out area, and 7 photos of the interior of the home. (My sister looking at the album: "OKAY already, is there a HOUSE with the property??")[/QUOTE]




    Bahaha! Soooooo me!



  13. #33
    Join Date
    Sep. 14, 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    148

    Default

    your husband keeps asking why you're buying so many bananas and letting them get too ripe. My mare is part monkey!
    Gallop on



  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    43,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ldbgcoleman View Post
    your husband keeps asking why you're buying so many bananas and letting them get too ripe. My mare is part monkey!
    I keep buying watermelons and the cashier mentioned that we sure must like them.
    Her jaw dropped when I said our horses demand to have watermelon as a mid-afternoon snack.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2012
    Posts
    2,376

    Default

    When you open the door to the mud/laundry room and it smells like a ripe stall because of the boots and coats. How do coats get that stink, the one the won't wash out?

    When the human chiro doc calls @ 4:40 to remind you of your 4:30 appt. and you just walked in from the barn. You say "Oh, I'm sorry, I'll be right there but I'm a mess." He says "would 5 be better?" I say, "No I'll still be a mess at 5".

    When I wore my t-shirt, dirty from the barn, to the store. T-shirt says "I ride western for the show clothes". A lady older than me leans in, in passing, and says "so did I" with a wink and a grin. That was my favorite.
    Ride like you mean it.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2005
    Location
    washington state
    Posts
    9,766

    Default

    You tend to show up at the South Hill Puyallup (on the way home) Walmart around 6 am after braiding all night on Saturday morning with blurry red watery eyes, reeking of clean show horse smells, yarn sticking out of every orifice, slime all over your shirt from "kisses", shavings in hair, and trying to be sneaky about dumping piles of horsey colored of yarn trimmings into their trash cans.

    I'm just sure they think I am a drunk knitter.
    The Knotted Pony

    Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jun. 12, 2011
    Location
    ENC
    Posts
    423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post
    To avoid perception of being the "crazy horse lady" among friends and family, you vow to stop posting horsey things on Facebook ... and then realize you have nothing to post on Facebook!
    yeah, i just got messaged about this yesterday.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

    I have Higher Standards ...do you?


    2 members found this post helpful.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Mar. 13, 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    256

    Default

    You go to a graduation party in the neighborhood, and when you see someone who was a neighbor a long time ago you say "not sure if you remember me" and his response is "I remember you. You are the crazy horse lady that lives on the corner!"

    Uh-huh! :-)
    Mary/New Horizons Haflinger Sport Horses
    Standing Stellar TVR, lifetime licensed with WE, RPSI, AWS, AHR
    www.newhorizonshaflingers.com
    www.facebook.com/NewHorizonsHaflingers


    4 members found this post helpful.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2012
    Posts
    519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
    You go to a graduation party in the neighborhood, and when you see someone who was a neighbor a long time ago you say "not sure if you remember me" and his response is "I remember you. You are the crazy horse lady that lives on the corner!"
    Yup! Before I can even finish my "The last time we saw each other--" I'm cut off with, "Do you still have that horse?" Around here for some reason having a horse for over a decade is considered crazy and hard for my neighbours to wrap their heads around.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hinderella View Post
    I purposely wear my tall boots to the store because most people recognize them as horse boots...explaining the smell.
    I actually did a little experiment like this one time - going to places wearing half chaps vs. just dirty jeans or breeches. For some reason people immediately know from the leg coverings that I am a horse person and the awkward stares and nose crinkles dissipate!


    3 members found this post helpful.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Aug. 17, 2006
    Location
    ONTARIO CANADA
    Posts
    1,503

    Default

    When you refuse to let your riding boots sit in the garage, people whine about the smell and you dont smell it:

    Your room is the equivalent to a personal tack room with a bed
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

    Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!


    3 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Murder, Mayhem, and a Crazy Lady!
    By Shine in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Dec. 24, 2011, 07:59 PM
  2. Crazy lady rides again
    By Laurierace in forum Off Course
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: Dec. 18, 2011, 09:30 AM
  3. Anyone hear about the crazy lady....
    By Alterrain in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 195
    Last Post: Jul. 9, 2010, 12:07 AM
  4. Dear crazy lady!
    By gloriginger in forum Off Course
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Apr. 11, 2010, 11:43 PM
  5. Are all horse people crazy?
    By Fandango7 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: Apr. 14, 2009, 06:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness