The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default You know people know you are a crazy horse lady when...

You go to the doctor and no one mentions that you are wearing spurs and it is only when they want to do a test that you realize your jeans are dirty from a morning at the barn.

Yes, that would be me yesterday and I did not realize my spurs were on until I hit the exam table with them.

2 members found this post helpful.

......Your hair stylist asks if you ride. Because once the aroma from your thawed boots has travelled up inside the hair-catcher-cape, it's got no-where to go except around your head and out under her nose.

4 members found this post helpful.

you arrive at the deli queue, and everyone steps back with wrinkled noses. and the everyone that are stepping back are construction workers, farmers and nursery workers. lol.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by chisamba View Post
    you arrive at the deli queue, and everyone steps back with wrinkled noses. and the everyone that are stepping back are construction workers, farmers and nursery workers. lol.
    We had a small local cafe that solved that problem by making one of their two rooms "the cowboy room" and directing any cowboy stopping for lunch after working cattle all morning and feedlot employee there.
    Cowboys were happy to have their own room and no one else had to hold their noses.

5 members found this post helpful.

....when you lean over the grocery store checkout conveyor belt to put your items on it, a small shower of hay and sawdust falls out of your hair and onto that revealing black surface while everyone pretends not to notice!
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

Oh, lordy I have so btdt with every one of these!

Quote Originally Posted by Sansena View Post
    ......Your hair stylist asks if you ride. Because once the aroma from your thawed boots has travelled up inside the hair-catcher-cape, it's got no-where to go except around your head and out under her nose.
    Oh that is a good one. LOL

Smart café to give the cowboys their own room.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by chestnutmarebeware View Post
    ....when you lean over the grocery store checkout conveyor belt to put your items on it, a small shower of hay and sawdust falls out of your hair and onto that revealing black surface while everyone pretends not to notice!
    I have done that many times. In fact, I train my first period students to check me for hay when I get to school.

Quote Originally Posted by chestnutmarebeware View Post
    And then you dig out your debit card and as you key in the numbers you realize your fingernails are filthy -- even though you thought you had scrubbed out the gunky detritus of ear-bug scrapings before you left the barn.

When you are checking out at the grocery store and the elderly cashier says "Dear, you have some straw in your hair"

1 members found this post helpful.

Your SO asks, with a funny look, what perfume you're wearing and you realize it is the lingering remnants of Eau D'Flyspray.

I once was in line at the local convienence store, when two different people stepped aside at the checkout line and said, "Here why don't you go ahead" as they stepped waaaaaay back. The first person, I just smiled, said thank you and figured they were getting cigarettes or something that would take longer. The second person, I tried to take a discreet sniff, but the cashier lady just laughed and said "yep, honey, you stink". I'd forgotten that I'd trimmed feet on five of my horses earlier that day. Oh well.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

When foaling out mares, I was buying fleet enemas by the bucket full.
    I did get some strange looks.

6 members found this post helpful.

I'll never forget the day I went to the ER with a fractured wrist after falling off my horse. My trainer ended up driving me there. I was still in full riding gear sans helmet and gloves and my trainer goes to me "Do you want me to take your spurs off so you don't get funny looks?" As if the tall boots and breeches weren't a dead giveaway!

3 members found this post helpful.

I purposely wear my tall boots to the store because most people recognize them as horse boots...explaining the smell.
    One day I was returning something at TJ Maxx after riding. As I waited in line the woman behind me said "fell off, did ya?". She had seen the big dirt smudge on the back of my shoulder..I had already forgotten the fall.

7 members found this post helpful.

my co-workers are forever picking hay out of my hair for me.

you come to the supermarket checkout with only 2 huge bags of carrots and a large container of KY jelly( sheath cleaning).

12 members found this post helpful.

When you are at routine visit to the OB-GYN and he finds hay in an unusual place (and you never noticed anything).

When you show up in the ER with your busted ankle wrapped with a polo wrap, with an equine freeze pack inside for good measure. Nurse as she unwrapped: "What IS this thing??"

When you can't tell if it's a tanline or dust.

When you're house shopping and take 32 photos of the barn and turn out area, and 7 photos of the interior of the home. (My sister looking at the album: "OKAY already, is there a HOUSE with the property??")
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie