The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostdance View Post
    I agree Only One is beautiful. The pics from Upperville with Anne Kursinski aboard are lovely.
    I too am an OTTB lover. I am on my third 10+ mover and at 16 years old can still win the hack against lovely WB's. Amazing mind as well!
    Is Only One a grey? I couldn't quite hear the announcer on Wednesday, but she was riding a lovely, lovely grey in the Working that looked quite thoroughbredy. He was fun to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post

I still stand firm that you don't see more TBs at the upper upper levels because we're not purpose-breeding for the appropriate conformation for that job.
    I think there are probably a few more than people think. I know of a few non-raced TBs that are registered as warmbloods with breeding unknown
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Is Only One a grey? I couldn't quite hear the announcer on Wednesday, but she was riding a lovely, lovely grey in the Working that looked quite thoroughbredy. He was fun to watch!
    Only One is gray. I know he won the First Year Green handy hunter class the other day. Her turn back to the trot jump was pretty darn slick! I believe he came off the track, but I don't know when.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    I'd like to know what show people have the connections to find me a sound, big-boned, nice-moving Thoroughbred for $2-5k. Sorry, but I don't many of those around. There's this romantic idea that every Thoroughbred out there is just a diamond in the rough who needs a chance.
    To me this is part of the problem. Just because it is a TB, people expect a sound, flashy athletic horse to be under $5,000 but they will happily add a zero for the same horse if it is a warmblood. While not Kentucky Derby candidates, some of my best TBs have not been race track rejects running at the lowest level and they did not come cheap, especially if they were steeplechase bred.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

4 members found this post helpful.

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't believe anyone said that they are not competitive, SquishTheBunny, but loved seeing all the pictures .

4 members found this post helpful.

No, it was directed to "The Ridge" based on her comment that you couldnt find a big nice moving good jumping throughbred for a good price.

All those OTTB's pictured above - granted not all of them raced - are big, nice moving and good jumping thoroughbreds. So yes, there are lots of them out there, but as someone else mentioned finding them is hard as the good ones get snapped up fast.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHorse View Post
    To me this is part of the problem. Just because it is a TB, people expect a sound, flashy athletic horse to be under $5,000 but they will happily add a zero for the same horse if it is a warmblood. While not Kentucky Derby candidates, some of my best TBs have not been race track rejects running at the lowest level and they did not come cheap, especially if they were steeplechase bred.
    $50k or $5k, I'm not seeing that many out there is the point.

$50k or $5k, I'm not seeing that many out there is the point.
    But how do you know they are, or aren't thoroughbreds? Are you asking each and every person on a horse what breed they are?

Three years ago, in a division of 80+ horses (younger adult amateurs) 3 of the top 15 were full thoroughbreds including OTTB's. To look at them, you would never know it.

Top leading meter ten jumper was a thoroughbred, of over a hundred horses. Again, they arent the weedy ugly moving type, they are the nicest representatives of the breed. They are out there. And absolutley not in the same numbers as warmbloods or warmblood/thoroughbred crosses...but look hard and you will realize that some of the really nice warmbloods are really a thoroughbred.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    But how do you know they are, or aren't thoroughbreds? Are you asking each and every person on a horse what breed they are?

Three years ago, in a division of 80+ horses (younger adult amateurs) 3 of the top 15 were full thoroughbreds including OTTB's. To look at them, you would never know it.
    Warmblood brands are a pretty good give away, but outside of that, I was referring to horses currently on the market, hence the reference to prices. I do not see many Thoroughbreds for sale that are the quality I'd want. I'm not saying they don't exist, but no one seems to care to bring them along.

On the Exchange, for example, there's one Thoroughbred. It's 1.0m jumper, priced at $20-40k. Probably a great horse, but I'll give you a finder's fee if you can find me a world-beater Thoroughbred that can pack me around the 3' Adults right now and WIN.

I LOVE Thoroughbreds. I think people are misconstruing realistic observations about the current market as me maligning Thoroughbreds. My point is that the market is saturated with going, winning warmbloods. Not so much when it comes to TBs.

2 members found this post helpful.

Haha, ok well WORLD-BEATER may be difficult, but how is a top AA circuit 3' packer? I personally know several, and one is currently for sale. Said horse has both A/O and adult experience, as well as childrens, pre-green high, and was national equitation champion. Also showed in florida at the 4' jumper level.

He's uncomplicated, sound with no maintenance. But, he can buck better than most warmbloods.

Also dont forget most of those "sale sites" are for the horses who dont sell by word of mouth. You arent likely going to find many top horses on internet sites. Some of the better sites do have a good amount of thoroughbreds.

Warmbloods brands are a good give away for sure, but a lot of the horses in the hunter ring are not clearly branded.

And yes I agree the vast majority of horses out there are warmbloods, hands down. However, I still think there are some wonderful thoroughbreds out there showing at the A level. A few years ago .. 3 maybe, my friend won an open $10,000 hunter classic with her OTTB. Of the three in the class, all placed top 12.

You're not going to find a world beater anything for 5k! At that price I'm expecting a clean-ish legged, well built, completely green prospect.

I think there are many ottb diamonds in the rough out there - if your diamond isn't a GP horse or bringing home ribbons in the a/os at WEF.

Are there a ton of upper level prospects waiting to be discovered on the track? No. But there are a ton of safe, sane, athletic ottbs out there who are quite capable of doing many, if not most, WB jobs. And I think that is where this mentality comes from.

People aren't looking on the track for their grand prix prospect. But you could very easily look to the track to find you 3'6'' jumper or your competitive 3ft hunter and to many people that is their diamond in the rough. I know it was for me.

I know the title of this thread concerned the A circuit, but a lot of these posts seemed to miss the fact that many people are looking for an OTTB not for the biggest classes but for lesser aspirations, and they are finding it. People took this thread title to mean the biggest shows and biggest classes, but if you truly look at the A circuit in general I know quite a few TBs who are successful in children's hunters at shows like Fairfield or Ox Ridge or in the 3ft eq at HITs.

Now I agree that the reason there aren't more upper level OTTBs is because they aren't being bred for the that purpose. But I disagree that they don't exist, and that you can tell that by looking through ads online.

Peter Foley has a Thoroughbred in his barn who has won major championships in the Hunters. Won some major accolades this winter at some of the indoor shows. I don't recall the horse's name, but I do remember reading an article that talked about how it was a TB.

Quote Originally Posted by Button View Post
    You're not going to find a world beater anything for 5k! At that price I'm expecting a clean-ish legged, well built, completely green prospect.
    Of course not... Not sure why no one is getting my point: at $5k, $50k, or $500k, the market is shockingly devoid of Thoroughbreds that are competing (or have the potential to compete) at the very tip-top levels of the H/J world.

I wonder if thats because no one wants to sell their awesome thoroughbreds

Guess this one isnt so tip-top? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater Must have been a schooling show at Devon that weekend

Of course not... Not sure why no one is getting my point: at $5k, $50k, or $500k, the market is shockingly devoid of Thoroughbreds that are competing (or have the potential to compete) at the very tip-top levels of the H/J world.
    The first GP jumper I ever met was actually an OTTB. I do get what you're saying, but to play devil's advocate, most WBs can't cut it at the very tip-top levels, and they definitely can't cut it at the track! They aren't bred for it, which is just more a testament to the athleticism of TBs that ANY of them can compete at the top levels.

Good horses are good horses; TB or WB.

Love this one..
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=3&permPage=1

And I must say, the hunter jumps in the older pictures look so much more interesting then the ones in the show ring today.

Quote Originally Posted by bM View Post
    Good horses are good horses; TB or WB.

Love this one..
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=3&permPage=1

And I must say, the hunter jumps in the older pictures look so much more interesting then the ones in the show ring today.
    Agreed, the riders look better as well IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    I still stand firm that you don't see more TBs at the upper upper levels because we're not purpose-breeding for the appropriate conformation for that job.
    ^^^ This 100%.