The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Successful TB Hunte/Jumpers in today's A Circuit?

I am just curious to hear of TB's people know of that are currently doing well on the A H/J circuit across the US.

On Facebook, The "Back in the Day" page has so many wonderful TB hunters and jumpers featured in every single daily post group.

Are there any out there that are competing today with the WB dominated field?

I am just curious, because I personally am on the band wagon to start bringing back more TB's into the A circuit ring. There is no reason why so many horses get cast aside because they simply are a TB. There are still many OTTB's and non-raced TB's that are out there just waiting to be discovered. Why is this huge resource for affordable horse talent still being ignored these days?

I am just curious to hear people's input on this topic.

Last edited by La Gringa; Jun. 7, 2013 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Spelling
    One of a Kind Studio
    Fine Art Paintings, Horses, Dogs, Wildlife and anything else that inspires.

New convert to the cow horse world.. love my QH mare.

3 members found this post helpful.

There is finally some movement in that direction the past couple of years. The Jockey Club and others are supporting TB classes and TB shows: http://tjctip.com/Default.asp?page=8
    scroll down for hunters and jumpers.
    I see you are with iJump, so you must be in California. There is a lot more going on in other states than ours (and I'm in Northern Cal, which is even worse). I've been to some shows in Virginia this year (not with my OTTB) and there are a lot of TB classes and they are at AA shows. Wish I had my OTTB where there was all that going on! I don't know how much crossover there is to competing against the warmbloods yet, but time will tell.
    Last edited by darkhorsecj; Jun. 7, 2013 at 07:47 AM. Reason: clarification

Personally, I've looked at some of the OTTBs that organizations like Canter have, and I have to admit that none of them are really the build I'd be looking for in another horse. A lot of the TBs I see today are pretty fine and weedy (COTHers, please note that this does not mean they all are, since I'm sure there will be some people just itching to post pictures of well-put-together horses to prove me wrong). I'm keeping my eye out for another one with a massive shoulder and really solid build like my mare, but I'm having more success looking at ones that are still on the track and running rather than at some organization. A lot of the ones that I've seen are too long in the pasterns for my taste.

I think until we start focusing on breeding them for the hunter/jumper industry again, they won't be the "untapped resource" that a lot of people think they are right now. Right now, they're usually the rejects from racing. That's not always conducive to a career change, either due to soundness or due to temperament or what have you. They're being bred for speed, not for jumping, and IMO, if we don't breed for a build suitable for jumping, the TBs will be the exception rather than the rule.

Are there some really nice TBs out there now? Yes, of course. Are they available through Canter and those places? I'm a little more skeptical. I know you see more TBs in eventing than you do in the h/j industry...perhaps they have a system that is worth looking into.

Also, OP, my GP horse is a full TB

Edited to add: I'm not saying that there are not wonderful TBs out there who have a career on the A circuit in the children's hunters or junior hunters or what have you. This post was written from the viewpoint of what I would look for in a horse (which presumably would be an upper level prospect for me to bring along). Please don't think that I think there is no purpose for many of the TBs out there - there are just very few right now who would meet my personal expectations.
    Last edited by supershorty628; Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM.

8 members found this post helpful.

one of my trainers horses is a first year green and he is an OTTB, he wins champ or reserve almost anywhere he goes and is SO SO nice
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

2 members found this post helpful.

I, too, am very interested in seeing the TB make a comeback. I always notice the articles about TBs winning. Here are a few successful TBs:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...grand-prix-win

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xKhdLOplAc

http://mindbites.com/lesson/18141-02...fano-lions-paw
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

1 members found this post helpful.

There is a horse called Only One that did well in the First Year Greens at Upperville this week. I don't know what else he's done. I just saw some pictures from the last few days on Facebook.
    Last edited by MHM; Jun. 7, 2013 at 12:44 PM.

I was so happy to read this thread because I have been wondering the same thing. I was super lucky to have found my mare, great build, temperament, well taken care of and no injuries! I would absolutely love to breed my Ottb mare and start a new TB sport horse line.... I think that will only be in my dreams

I agree Only One is beautiful. The pics from Upperville with Anne Kursinski aboard are lovely.
    I too am an OTTB lover. I am on my third 10+ mover and at 16 years old can still win the hack against lovely WB's. Amazing mind as well!

If you search for "OTTB" here, you should pull up a lot of threads. Of course, you may pull up *too* many threads to find anything useful!

I agree with supershorty that if we want to see TBs back at the top of the sport we need people breeding them for the purpose of jumping.

I've posted about my guy many times before. He's a 2001 model who I pulled off the track in 2006. Now he's my High AO/GP horse. I wish they all had his braveness and try!

6 members found this post helpful.

Agree with supershorty. I would not trust many of today's racing-bred Thoroughbreds to stay sound, assuming that I found one that was big, moved well, and showed an inclination toward jumping.

Also, while I love Thoroughbreds, I have no desire to make one up from the track myself. We need more competent trainers willing to do this. My 1996 model (an English-bred, actually, who turned into a lovely Small Junior) was actually started (post-racing) in an Olympic event rider's program.

I have a racing OTTB who ran 5 times. He started showing hunter at age 4 and 9 years later is still getting ribbons in the A circuit hunters. No maintenance.

He is not weedy, he is also not large boned. He places among some top horses, even ones who have competed at the hunter spectacular at WEF.

He has not needed a pro ride since he was 4.

I think there are some very nice untapped thoroughbreds out there, not all, but many are wonderful and can certainly do the job. The rare one will make it to top level in the hunters, just like the rare warmblood will.

To be honest, I would trust a thoroughbred to stay sound longer than a warmblood pending they have no current issues. My first childrens hunter was a TB and still showing at age 27. All of my warmbloods have needed major maintenance WELL before age 15.

9 members found this post helpful.

Around here, I've seen some in the jumpers, not so much in the hunters. I think supershorty pretty much covered it.

She's not well know, but it's my horse. She's 8 and shes currently doing the low or medium junior jumpers with me. we are currently schooling 1.40m

West Coast
    I have had good luck selling our own OTTB's here in Cali, but it is a uphill battle. I campaigned a very very talented guy to get exposure and let him be seen/shown with a pro and still couldn't get him sold, and not at all overly priced, got so frustrated took him to a eventing trainer and had him sold in less then a week. He is now a top upper level prospect and is winning consistantly. This was a jumping machine... oh well, new owner is thrilled...
    Forward is good

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Personally, I've looked at some of the OTTBs that organizations like Canter have,
    That's because you probably do not know where to look or have the connections. There are many good re-sellers out there and people who have connections. While CANTER can have some good horses....many are never listed because they are sold fast.

Yes....many eventers especially have developed connections but there are show people who also have those connections. They will get calls on horses who need a new job. They really good ones are also not dirt cheap. The big boned, good sized and nice movers will often cost 2-5K with no re-training....and are never listed on Canter. Once you have done business with some trainers and developed a connection....they call. You have to be willing to move fast though, with cash in hand and trailer in tow...and know that the horse will need some down time.....and then know how to re-school them. Some of them will be very well started. My last few all figured out a mounting block with ease and lunged quietly and were hacking out right away. One we just restarted went to his first little show after only 2 weeks. Doing a W/T class and crossrails. This boy will be doing 2'6" courses nicely within another month....and his lead changes are already installed from racing. He will make up into a lovely kids horse given his personality (very generous).

There are also some around this area who are bred to race over fences. If it is to be a timber horse...those fences are large...and the horses need to be not only fast but have a very good jump. My eventer now broodmare was one...her sire was the sire of a two time MD Hunt Cup winner as well as many turf horses....he also sired a number of horses who went into the show ring.

The mare in my profile picture is also a full TB...she is confused for a WB all the time (though to me she is a classic TB). She was NEVER listed on Canter...but came through a re-seller who had connections. They called me, sent me her picture and I drove to see her that day...vetted her a day or two later (had to get the vet schedule to work) and I got her--I was the first to sit on her since she last raced so she had been let down but not re-started when I went to try her. And I happily wrote a decent check for her because she is a lovely animal....and I don't regret it!

But most are not sold through online ads....and are sold via word of mouth.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

^ I'm not actively looking for something, just perusing those websites now and then. I certainly wouldn't use one to find an upper level prospect. My point was that on those sites, you're very unlikely to find something to suit what I personally would look for.

I still stand firm that you don't see more TBs at the upper upper levels because we're not purpose-breeding for the appropriate conformation for that job.

5 members found this post helpful.

I'd like to know what show people have the connections to find me a sound, big-boned, nice-moving Thoroughbred for $2-5k. Sorry, but I don't many of those around. There's this romantic idea that every Thoroughbred out there is just a diamond in the rough who needs a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    I still stand firm that you don't see more TBs at the upper upper levels because we're not purpose-breeding for the appropriate conformation for that job.
    And I disagree. I'm shopping right now for a WS...just looking for a nice moving athletic type...and I'm having no trouble finding a good assortment for us to look at (none of which are advertised--all I've found by calling people I know who have connections). Are they harder to fine....sure they are. But so are top purpose bred horses. I breed some as well. And because of that...I know the costs. My foals hit the ground are are generally priced at 10-15K before they have even left their mama's side.

Finding a top prospect is hard no matter what....and expensive. Just with the TBs....I personally can often find one with the comformation, movement and potential AND a lower price tag much more easily than the purpose bred. But you do have to know where to look and who to call.....and do a good PPE. And once they have been re-trained and shown, they will cost as much as any other similar prospect....and you will have a hard time telling them apart.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    I'd like to know what show people have the connections to find me a sound, big-boned, nice-moving Thoroughbred for $2-5k. Sorry, but I don't many of those around. There's this romantic idea that every Thoroughbred out there is just a diamond in the rough who needs a chance.

You wont...because they will buy them for 2-5K, put 2-3 months in them and sell them for 15-25K or more. Every TB is NOT a diamond in the rough. You have to know who to call and what to look for. And some will take more like 6 months to a year to turn around. There is a huge gamble in...as with most prospects. But with the OTTBs, you will sometimes have to wade through dozens to find the one....that has the mind, movement, and the hardest thing to find, soundness. That's where if you are lucky, and can get one out of a good race barn before it has gone down the levels, you can find a nice athlete whose body hasn't been too wrecked at an affordable cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    My trainer does, but I would never be able to find them on my own. Like bornfree said, they aren't listed anywhere. When his contacts see one that looks good they call him.

Forgot to add: He also says that you have to have years of experience evaluating jumper prospects to pick out the good ones, a lot of it is down to "feel."
    Last edited by Button; Jun. 7, 2013 at 05:52 PM. Reason: forgot something