The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is Ebay any good for selling/buying used horsey stuff anymore? If not, where?

When I got my first horse over a decade ago, Ebay was the place to go for used horsey deals. I bought lots of goodies and even sold three saddles through it.

Now, I want to both shop and sell, but Ebay appears to have been taken over by online stores. Is it worth my while to go there still? If not, where is the place to go now?
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

I've had good luck with Facebook groups (like English Tack Trader), and for saddles - I've sold several through horseclicks.com. Also Craig's List can sometimes be a good place to start since it's local.

Ebay used to be very good but now the market seems to have gotten rather soft and things don't seem to sell as well there as they used to. I would still check there for deals, but not sure I am going to be selling much on there anymore. They now roll the shipping into your final value to charge fees on, and the fee is, I believe, 10% of the final value. AND you still have to pay Paypal fees on top of that if you sell a lot. Getting to be les and less worth the bother, in my opinion, especially if you are like me and only charge the buyer what it actually costs to ship.

It's a great place to buy. We warmbloods aren't very appreciative of our owner buying saddles and bridles and saddle pads and horse rugs and all kinds of stuff on there, but she does it and the items are great. Ok the rugs are good in winter, and the supplements and meds are good too.

Never sold anything there. Don't know the fees. The few times our owner has not gotten the item as described, paypal returned her money to her.

I love ebay shopping. If I'm looking for a sweet deal on someone's used stuff I just check the "used" box when searching, that does a pretty good job of weeding out the online stores that now dominate.

Selling is meh. I list stuff every once and a while, sometimes it goes and sometimes it doesn't.

For basic stuff (blankets, common saddles, other barn supplies) I would start with Craigslist since people are unlikely to spend a lot of time searching for that stuff and probably aren't interested in shipping it.

For a more specialty items, such as high end or custom saddles and bridles or clothes try some other internet listing services where the item is more likely to be seen by people willing to pay the extra $$ for it.

Christa

Who listed a western saddle for $150 for a friend yesterday on Craigslist and somebody is supposed to pick it up today. I also sold another saddle just by mentioning to a friend I was interested in selling it. She took it, tried it, and loves it.

eBay is still my go-to for finding things I need to buy, but for selling, it's getting ridiculous. It's sort of the luck of the draw. I had three high-end saddles up for sale this spring, and only two sold, for far less than they were worth. But last year I sold $600 worth of stuff, including a sidesaddle that brought almost ten times what I paid for it. People like to bundle, so if you have lots of items to sell, try to list them all at one time, especially if they are the same sizes (blankets, breeches, etc.). But the fees will eat you alive.

I've bought and sold saddles off of Tacktrader. Go to dreamhorse.com and click on their link. Both transactions went off without a hitch. One I used Paypal, and the other I just sent a check...risky, but turned out I had several horse friends/trainers in common with the seller, who was out of state but still..it's a small horse world. My show saddle sold in two days for full price, btw. And the saddle I bought was exactly as advertised.

I prefer FB groups or the HGS and horseforum.com classified forums. EBay is good for buying when you're in need of something specific but selling sucks. The eBay fee on top of the PayPal fee makes it not worth it. I've used it to sell small things that didn't sell elsewhere, at least the listings are free and you can relist free if it doesn't sell. Plus you can't leave negative feedback for buyers which makes it easier for people to scam you. Always always use PayPal.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

I get a lot of response from scammers when I post on tacktrader.com. Don't know why. I buy a lot on eBay but won't sell there again. There policies aren't safe for sellers and they are able to take the funds back without your specific authorization if the seller makes a complaint. For example, I sold a cell phone on eBay and the buyer said the microphone didn't work. That's odd, I never had any problems with it. Tried to help the buyer trouble shoot and advised him that the phone has a noise canceling microphone on it so if he's trying to use it in an area with a lot of background noise or outside in the wind, the phone is going to make him sound more faint than usual because it's working to counteract the background noise. He didn't seem to like the fact that this is just how the phone is, opened a case with eBay, eBay took the money out of my account to refund the buyer and the buyer never returned my phone. After 60 days, eBay finally gave me my money back because the buyer never returned the item. I feel lucky this was the outcome because I've heard of people being out both the item they sold and the money they received for it due to some shady buyers. And even when you get a shady buyer, you can't leave negative feedback which really stinks.

Craigslist for selling for me from now on. Cash and phone calls only. No e-mails.

If it's something you can sensibly mail I'd use eBay. If it's something that needs trying on or local pickup I would not.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    I get a lot of response from scammers when I post on tacktrader.com. Don't know why.
    Snowflake, that was my experience too. I only got about 7 or so replies from TackTrader and they were all spam.

I vote CraigsList and Facebook groups. I didn't have much luck with eBay. Usually I got snotty messages about the shipping being too high. Several times I LOST money when I didn't get an accurate shipping quote before hand... So now I stick with local stuff only.
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

1 members found this post helpful.

I went and put a join request on the English Tack Trader pages on Facebook, but while I am waiting...

What about places to list boots? As in For the rider. I have three pairs (paddock, winter tall, and more fashion-oriented tall...though some ride in them) that I ordered with hopes of them working. I really don't want to think of selling on eBay at all any longer.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

There is an English Tack Trader Apparel page too you can sell boots on. Just make sure you bump the ad often since the page is so busy it gets lost easy.

Another sucky thing about eBay is they hold your funds if you're new. I've sold over 15 items, ship right away with tracking and have a 100% rating but they hold my money for weeks, then I have to wait another few days to get the money actually in my bank account from PayPal. So you have to shell out all the money to ship things well before you get paid.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Watch out, English Tack Trader on FB is addictive!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm still waiting on join approval for the apparel page, but I need to be very careful on the tack page!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

I still use EBay...it's fast, efficient and their fees are waaaay cheaper than the local consignment store's fees.