The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dude Ranch Recommendations (with young children's program)

Okay as hard as I try I cannot seem to figure out how to search CLOTH for specific strings. So apologies if this is redundant...

Anyone have good dude ranch recommendations? We're open to location - WY, CO, Idaho etc (tho avoiding AZ or TX due to weather).

I need a ranch which has a great kids program (4 and 6yrs). We visited a dude ranch last summer - which was super fun and the kids loved it...however...for someone who has been riding a longggg time the head to tail riding wasn't the best. I'd love cattle work as well. A ranch that isn't so head to tail would be fantastic!!

I read the one thread I found about Bitterroot ranch but I don't think they have a kids program. There is also one called Vee Bar.

Thanks!!!!!

My aunt and uncle shared a house on the Lost Creek Ranch property in Jackson, WY. It is AMAZING... very pricey, but amazing. Did I mention pricey....??

They have kids programs, tons of family activities, but no cattle work. They pair you with your horse for the week you are there and are very attentive to riding levels.

My relatives sold their house last year - I still cry...

http://lostcreek.com/ranch-kids-program.html

http://www.elkhornranchmontana.com/rides.cfm
    Some longtime family friends run the Elkhorn (Montana) also have one in AZ in the winter. The Montana ranch is just south of Bozeman, lovely, and there is a kids program. I think they are senstive to riding levels although have not been a guest there in a long time.

and if money is truly no object,t here is this http://www.flatheadlakelodge.com/recreation.html wh ich provides plenty of kids programs, horses, SAILING on the lake, canoeing, whatever...the total package. locatedin Bigfork, montana

the Flying L in Bandera, TX is really good , the kids have their own staff to oversee them.

http://www.flyingl.com/index.php/act...ids-activities

The television show, The Cisco Kid, was filmed at the Ranch.

I know you said not AZ, but not everywhere in AZ is nasty hot! Tanque Verde in Tucson is absolutely gorgeous -- in Saguaro National Monument in the mountains above there and FABULOUS riding. You can do overnight rides, breakfast rides -- and we were cantering through the mountains and gorgeous desert, no plodding around once you take your evaluation. The kids program is superb (I did it when I was a kid) -- well, I guess my opinion may be a bit dated, but I would still go back, LOL!

www.equitrekking.com is a wealth of information for finding a good ranch vacation.
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

I think Elkhorn in MT is where my sister goes every year and her kids LOVE it and they seem to have a great kids program. I think the kids do their own thing at least most days depending on their age and the rides are not all nose to tail
    Way back in the 90's I worked at Trail Creek Ranch in Wilson WY (town next to Jackson on the Idaho pass) and always thought it would be a great place to vacation. They were a bit laidback and unfancy but every single guest I remember left that place having had a great time. They try (or tried) to have rides that were not just nose to tail and with some galloping but since this place is small if they had 10 people who could barely stay on and 1 person who was competent, it was a little hard to get the harder stuff in but they tried and that much of a disparity was unusual. No working cattle but scenery so stunning you don't mind just doing walking rides.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Thanks everyone! Wowzers...flathead lake lodge...$3400 per week.PER PERSON...BWHOOHAHAHAHA! I could buy a second horse! Anyone heard of Vee Bar Ranch??

Another Arizona recommendation (even though you said no to AZ) is White Stallion Ranch right outside Tucson. Great place, nice horses, borders the national park, and great people.

My SO worked here for a summer a few years ago. It seemed like a really great place. It's in Red Feather Lakes, CO- about an hour northwest of Fort Collins

http://sundancetrail.com
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate