The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Let's clarify: Swat (the pink stuff, comes in clear and pink) is a fly ointment and repellent.

SWAT® FLY REPELLENT OINTMENT FOR WOUNDS AND SORES
    It is a violation of Federal law to use this Product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling. To treat superficial wounds, abrasions, sores and scratches, apply enough ointment to cover the wound. Apply directly to the wound and use daily. Do not use on animals under 12 weeks. Consult a veterinarian before using this product on debilitated, aged, pregnant, nursing or medicated animals. Sensitivities may occur after using ANY pesticide product for pets. If signs of sensitivity occur, bathe pet with mild soap and rinse with large amounts of water. If signs continue, consult a veterinarian immediately.

This is what the bacon grease is used in place of. I'm not recommending smearing it all over your horse (though some blog articles say that's how to do it) to repel all the flies, just using it a salve for hot spots and minor wound sites and spots where the flies congregate. The smell is almost unnoticeable. The bacon fat I use is from organic, hormone free pork. I have noticed that all the bits of brown and such from the cooked bacon make their way to the bottom of the mason jar. This is the stuff that has a little more odor.
    My former vegetarian, manfriend (SO) has been applying the grease to my main mans wiener all week. At first he called me to confirm this was the practice, could not believe I needed him to grease up my boys privates. He's been applying it every other day to the groin and remarked this evening how well it seemed to work. The oil keeps the flies of, the magickal properties of the grease heal wounds. I use one to two droppers of tea tree oil in water to act as the fly spray. The tea tree smell is way stronger than the bacon grease.

I really don't think that trying bacon grease on a sensitive skinned horse who has been made red and raw by Swat is a patently bad idea. It a great and cheap option that has been around a long time. The "cowboys and packers" told me they use it on wear spots. It's usually available be it on a farm for breakfast or packer rendezvous out in the mountains. For me and my horses it has worked very well and I patently think it's worth trying.

6 members found this post helpful.

Fair enough. You keep having your boyfriend grease up your horse's schlong with organic bacon grease, and I'll keep treating open insect bites with a product formulated to repel insects and protect wounds.

Perhaps if I find myself with an open horse wound at breakfast at a packer rendezvous in the mountains and I've forgotten my Swat, I'll reconsider your advice.

4 members found this post helpful.

I'll certainly keep it in mind but I will have to be less lazy cause I have been buying the pre-cooked bacon!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dayglowmaple View Post
    Fair enough. You keep having your boyfriend grease up your horse's schlong with organic bacon grease, and I'll keep treating open insect bites with a product formulated to repel insects and protect wounds.

Perhaps if I find myself with an open horse wound at breakfast at a packer rendezvous in the mountains and I've forgotten my Swat, I'll reconsider your advice.
    No one's making you use anything else
    "Formulated" - yeah I'm sure it went through a lot of testing...what is it anyway except flyspray in Vaseline?

3 members found this post helpful.

That is true Hobbs, but still some people would never use honey despite the articles and proof that is given to the benefits of honey.

So if bacon grease had proof and articles of it working would those who aren't for it still be against using it, or would they give it a try?

I am going to go go check it out on my gelding tomorrow.

for people who enjoy this kind of thing:
    http://www.griffinind.com/bacon_grease.php

When I was a kid my horse got caught in a barbed wire fence. She had horrible wounds that my dad spent a lot of money treating with whatever the vet told him to use. Finally, he gave my horse to a family who treated her wounds with bacon grease and black pepper and she was sound and healed in a matter of months... I used to have a little tub of bacon grease that I used on small boo boos. It worked nicely and I don't recall any excessive smell.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernYankee View Post
    If it's free why not give it a try? Its not like we'd have to go out and spend $$ on the 'new thing.'
    Free? Organic bacon is expensive!

No idea about flies but back in the 70's when I was a kid we used to combine bacon grease with Fiebings hoof dressing - our farrier swore by that for good, healthy hooves! My mom saved all the grease and when it cooled down we'd add the Fiebings then go slather all of our horses & ponies feet. We typically had anywhere from 5-7 horses all the time that we owned so needless to say my mom had to fry a lot of bacon . Who knows if it really had any effect though.

I wouldn't be surprised if it worked for flies!
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    Free? Organic bacon is expensive!
    The grease is a by-product of something yummy!!! Don't buy the bacon for the grease, buy it for the bacon! I keep fussing at my SO for throwing it away! So many uses.... use it for frying eggs and any other time oil/butter would be used to cook with, throw a little in the veggies to make them taste yummy (green beans), add a little to homemade biscuits and cornbread, fancy perfume for the ponies, ointment, the list goes on and on!! (and now I realized I've lived in the south too long...Slap Yo Mamma is good cajun seasoning as well that can be used on anything!)

YELLOW JACKETS!! I'd be afraid they'd be all over my horses if they had bacon grease on them. They love stuff like that.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by dayglowmaple View Post

Ya know . . bacon grease does go rancid. I am sure the heat will help it go more quickly rancid, and the dirt will help it too.

The grease ants will have a field day with your horses when they lay down.

Maybe the ants will upload a video for tube: Ants Gone Wild!

Bacon grease is best rubbed on potatoes before baking, or added to collard greens. YUM.

Use MTG for that bacon-esk smokehouse aroma. Or, hang smoke pig ears on your horse.

Why not use chicken fat? Or get smoked ham fat!

Just what part of this grease experiement is supposed to work? The grease? The smell? The ants crawling on the horse eating the flies which land on the horse? Who has the data which details that it works?

No, I have not been into the boxed wine - yet.

Quote Originally Posted by pj View Post
    YELLOW JACKETS!! I'd be afraid they'd be all over my horses if they had bacon grease on them. They love stuff like that.
    Yes. No way would I put bacon grease on a bare spot on my horses while trying to regrow hair. Much less would I put it on an open wound. And no way would I put bacon grease on my male horse's penis or anus or anything. I'll just keep buying expensive medications to use on my horses, and buying fly spray to kill bugs. When my horses have wounds, I put a layer of medication on the wound first, then apply a light coating of fly spray over it.

But I do know people who have applied bacon grease to healed wounds on their horses in order to regrow hair. They do say it works. I don't eat pork, so I'm not going to put it on my horses even if it would save me money. However I do think I'll borrow some bacon grease from a friend and see if the bugs at the barn like it or not. Call it a scientific experiment.

And OK, I've never known a straight guy who would voluntarily touch a penis not his own, much less a guy who would smear bacon grease on a horse's penis. I demand pictures!

My previous TB gelding was allergic and sensitive to most everything. I used SWAT in huge amounts with no issue in regards to his skin and reactions. But no, I would not use bacon grease on my horse. I've tried it on hooves in the past, it does stink and attracted flies and I saw no improvement. I'll stick to SWAT!

ya know, my junior year of college I had pretty gross roommates, one girl I lived with saved bacon grease to cook with and left it near the stove in an open container. I'll never forget coming home from work during the summer to cook a grilled cheese and seeing a plethora of bugs stuck in smelly rancid bacon and losing my appetite. So I'm not sure I'm convinced of it's insect repelling capabilities.

However, for hair growth I'm sure it works the same way as why vaseline and MTG works. It would keep the skin lubricated and the budding hair safe from being easily rubbed or pulled off due to it being slicked with grease.

2 members found this post helpful.

I find it so unbelievable that flies are not attracted to bacon grease that I think I'll do my own experiment. Rather than on my horse, I'll put a dab on a paper plate and set it outside. That will also let me note rancidity. Uh-oh, problem is, I have no bacon. Okay, experiment will have to wait.

As for healing qualities, I can believe that a salty grease could be as effective as other unguents. For that matter, if it does work, it may be because of the salt, not the type of grease.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    Ya know . . bacon grease does go rancid.
    Actually, it won't if kept in the fridge. I always have a little empty butter tub that I top with any bacon grease left from cooking. I never clean out the tub, and can use it years later for frying eggs, etc.

I think it is the oil. I use to have a Presto Fry Daddy for french fries that lived in the back of my fridge with corn oil. Not cleaned out in 20+ years, just added when it was low. The older oil make the best fries - the best I have ever eaten.

I don't really want my horses greasy though, so I don't even like to use fly spray.

this should be easy to test- slather one of your legs with bacon grease, and smear SWAT on the opposite side arm, and go wander around outside and see what happens. I'd try it myself, but I'm out of bacon grease at the moment, plus suspect I'd be licked to death by dogs if I wandered around covered in bacon grease.
    Besides, what a waste of bacon grease. I often cook bacon just to get the grease for cooking other things in. I keep containers of rendered duck, goose, and bacon grease in the fridge for cooking.

I kept my horse at a barn where they used bacon grease on the horses hooves. They got buckets of the stuff from the local Shoney's and the horses hooves were lovely.

I'll stick to Swat until more research is done ;-)
    Y'all ain't right!