The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bacon Grease to keep flies away?

Has anyone else ever heard of this for horses?

Years and years ago, the wife of the man whose horse I exercised swore by this. She would put a stripe of bacon grease down the gelding's back and said it kept the flies away. I was so young at the time, I did not really notice if it did or not.

So before I make my sainted mare smell like a breakfast sandwich; I just wanted to check if anyone else had heard of this or had tried it?
    thank you.
    Last edited by Beau Soleil; Jun. 6, 2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Never heard of that one before. I would think the bacon grease would draw the flies if anything.

2 members found this post helpful.

no.

nasty.

yes, WILL draw flies very fast. try on yourself and see.

I think not! Not only draw flies,but other things you'd rather not see in your barn.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

If you want the smell, just add some MTG ;-) Probably at least get a little benefit from the MTG! LOL
    Kerri

Default IT WORKS VERY WELL

I've been using bacon grease the last two years. It works wonders, does not attract flies and works better and stays on longer than the other cream products on the market. I have a sensitive fjord who was covered in "fly sores" upon my discovery of him. The "pink stuff cause a allergic reaction. So far I've been using a couple of drops of tea tree oil in water as a general repellant and then putting the bacon grease on any spots where the flies have drawn blood. I assure you all they are not attracted to it and the viscosity keeps them at bay, and in some majikal way the sores seem to heal within 24 hours.
    Mind you my horse was previously owned by "primitives" and bacon grease was recommended by them, but I've also see many old school cowboys use it to. I saved all my bacon grease this winter and now have stock to get me through the summer. I also wipe the excess on his hoof and we have not see a crack or chip this season.
    I know it sounds wacky but it works and works well. Our local farm store sells the "pink stuff" for 11$ a jar....I'm saving hundreds and my pony is very happy.
    Also...look whats in the pink stuff.....or any of the cream products on the market. If you have to wear gloves to apply it and your not supposed to get it on your skin, what the hell makes it good for the horse?
    I live where we have all the flies, black, biting, horse etc and it repels all of them. Don't badmouth a folk remedy unless you have tried it and have experience to back up the pro and con.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have this distinct vision of packs of free-roaming neighborhood dogs (not to mention wildlife) frantically chasing my geldings around trying to get at their bacon-grease-coated private parts - that being the only area where any flies/gnats seem to ever bother them. . . .

3 members found this post helpful.

Want to attract ants? Then use the bacon grease.

I have friends who swear by bacon grease to grow hair back on horse wounds. But I won't use it because I don't want ants crawling on my horses when they lie down to sleep.

I've never seen an ant on then.
    They spend more time like this than most equines I know.
    There are many ant hills, nests etc in their field. The viscosity of the bacon grease stops intruders. Insects have a hard time getting around in grease.
    I also have two dogs and a pack of dogs roaming the neighborhood....not once have I seen anything try to get at the bacon grease. Why such fear of bacon grease, it's confusing to me? Seriously... I have more fear of my pony getting cancer from a topical than licked by a dog.

http://s912.photobucket.com/user/bre...yboys.jpg.html

People "swear by" all sorts of things that are patently ridiculous.
    Click here before you buy.

5 members found this post helpful.

I want to see the look on my trainers face if I told her I spread bacon grease on my horse because a random stranger online told me it would keep flies away
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I just have a hard time wrapping my brain around any species being repelled by bacon anything.

5 members found this post helpful.

So do you put it where the flies are, or a little layer in the hot spots? I will give it a go. Can't hurt and I just saved my bacon grease from this morning!

I will put it on their hooves though. My mare has good feet, but Myst seem a bit dry.

I have not used it for fly repellent but years ago I did a science fair study on ointments growing hair back over old wounds/scars bacon grease worked better than any other over the counter ointmet I tried. It's got great healing powers.

If it's free why not give it a try? Its not like we'd have to go out and spend $$ on the 'new thing.' I've found that alot of these old timey fixes work just as well if not better than some of the new medicines out there. (for non life threatening issues)

I smear it around on the hot spots and always put a dab or smear where I see the flies landing, I never use it above the eye but I don't hesitate putting a dab near the bottom.
    And yes this is my first topic to post on. I read the forums a lot, have solved a number of problems with good advice found here and just could not let this folk remedy be bashed and scoffed, as it has worked so well for me. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but my fjords skin is so sensitive it seems like a great solution and it's free. I also smeared on a spot where his brother took a little more than a love bite and it was healed in three days (the flies were really excited about the sore), and yes the hair started to grow before the skin had even scabbed. Perhaps if it was in a fancy bottle and cost a lot of money horse people would be more into it.
    Last edited by brechelle; Jun. 6, 2013 at 11:53 PM.

I can't make any claims about whether this would repel flies, but a horse smeared in bacon grease would certainly be repulsive to me!

I can think of a hundred other viscous substances I'd try smearing on my horse as a fly barrier before trying this.

If I had a penny for every patently bad idea others have suggested I implement in my horse's care (with testimonial support no less), I'd be rich! Unless you really like the greasy diner smell, there isn't much reason to road test this one.

interesting but i don't eat bacon and the smell of cold bacon grease would gag me for sure.

What about honey (For the Nay Sayers) Would you try the use of honey on your horses, or other animals wounds? Or is that a silly Farmers tale too? (I mean no malice, just curious)

I have used honey when my older dog was attacked. We used honey and only honey on the wound on his neck. He had a square foot of skin a finger width deep removed after it died. He healed without a single scar. So honey worked for me and I am willing to try bacon grease as a fly repellent. I don't have many flies so the ones I do have might be a little less annoying. It doesn't hurt to try, if all else fails My horse smells like bacon but has a great looking coat.

There is plenty of research supporting the anti-bacterial and healing properties of honey, particularly Manuka honey.....bacon grease, not so much.

I'm willing to give the bacon grease a try... the flies are horrible this year! The only problem with taking it out and smearing it on my horse is that I won't have as much in my kitchen to cook with.
    "The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears." ~Arabian proverb

http://www.janakellam.com