The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Default Help me...I'm addicted to my softshell!

After years of riding in stuffy wool and wool-blend traditional coats, I finally bit the bullet this year and bought a softshell. I couldn't be happier with it - the freedom it gives you through the arms, shoulders and chest is amazing! I can't believe it took me this long to jump on that bandwagon.

Anyways, I have a lovely hunter mare, but where I live there isn't much in the way of good hunter classes. For that reason, she has to play double-duty as a A/O jumper for most of the year other than the one time that I venture out the Thunderbird Show Park in British Columbia for two weeks in August. Since I spend most of my time in the jumper ring these days, I decided to buy a nice softshell that wasn't too loud and obnoxious, but was a bit bolder than a regular hunt jacket. Now I love it so much that I hate riding in any other coat (I do have a point to this post, I promise).

The first week at Tbird is WCHR week and George Morris is judging. The second week, while still an AA show, is a little bit more relaxed. My questions are this:

1) Am I right in assuming that I'm probably going to have to ditch the softshell and ride in a traditional navy coat in front of George? I JUST finished a clinic with him so I'm a bit afraid that by committing what he might see as a fashion faux-pas would be extra insulting to him. I don't want to be marked down as the dumbbell that didn't gain a lick of knowledge from his clinic and had the gall to show up dressed like a goon.

2) Would you wear this softshell in the ring in front of another judge that isn't George (ie. the second week)? This is the coat in question:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...28572109_n.jpg
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...40804335_n.jpg

I don't have any great up-close pictures of it, but it has a bit of white stitching around the cuffs and on the collar and then has contrasting silver buttons. I mean, it's not the most ridiculously garish piece of attire, but it's not exactly what I'd call "traditional". Be honest with me...I can take it. I just want to know if I'm going to have to subject myself to 2 weeks of heat in stuffy wool. I'll be showing in the High Performance division. I'm not sure if that makes it a better or worse fashion offense.

I'd wear the soft shell. George has obviously been at enough shows to know that that is what many riders are wearing. They are still neat looking and yours is traditional enough that I wouldn't think twice.

Now I just bought a soft shell shadbelly and am completely in love. Aren't they great?

It's not the 'softshell' part of the jacket or even the piped collar that says 'jumper' to me. The thing not 'huntery' about it is the 4 buttons and the fact that they are silver. I have a lovely softshell that I wear in the hunter ring, but it's the three button style and the buttons match the coat.

P.S. LOVE your coat. I'd just stick to using it in the jumper ring.

3 members found this post helpful.

Iris Bayer has some lovely traditional looking softshell coats. I'm thinking of buying one to show in the hunters in. I totally feel you, I've been having to show more hunters lately and my only softshell coat is waaay too jumpery. I actually find that a lot of my friends (that are showing with A show hunter barns, trying to qualify for Eq finals etc) are wearing 4 button coats so yours might be find. Also if August Tbird is anything like last year, it'll be way to hot period let alone in a wool coat!

I would play it by ear and check out what other hunter riders are wearing during the first week and go from there. Be prepared to be in your wool coat, but your softshell might be fine! For future hunter stuff, GP does make a traditional 3 button softshell coat (that's what I am contemplating saving my pennies for instead of a wool JustWorld coat).

Totally off topic, but I saw the GM clinic in Red Deer, you did great!

Thanks Denzel!

Is this the GP coat you're talking about? http://www.doversaddlery.com/grand-p...at/p/X1-40635/

This one has 4 buttons, but is the closest thing to your description.

Being an old school rider from the 80's I may not be of much help other than this year has been the first year I have been to the A shows (Thermal, the Oaks, and LA) and observing the fashion and winning riders I saw a lot of silver four button coats/soft shell. Alllon coats seemed to be the trend. There was a lot of coats with piping on the collars and even colored collars. (maroon, black velvet, blue, gray etc.)

The only comment I heard negative about the silver buttons was someone in the eq the trainer said they didn't like the silver buttons for her because it showed if she was slumping.

I would bring both coats and get a feel once you are there. BTW you look great and I would wear that coat in the Hunters no problem.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Ok, you at least have to tell us which softshell coat you're addicted to......I'm eyeing them myself, but telling myself that since I show in the jumpers, and am not yet doing classics, I don't need one.....must......resist.....

Quote Originally Posted by Marcella View Post
    This is the one I was referring to FarmHouse has it as well (http://www.farmhousetack.com/servlet...e-Coat,/Detail), and Farmhouse is FAN-FRICKIN-TASTIC to deal with, I ordered a hunt coat from them last month and the shipping to Canada was so easy and hassle-free and no brokerage/customs to worry about! Highly recommend them for Canadian buyers!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by KingoftheRoad View Post
    Ok, you at least have to tell us which softshell coat you're addicted to......I'm eyeing them myself, but telling myself that since I show in the jumpers, and am not yet doing classics, I don't need one.....must......resist.....
    It's the Animo Lotty. I'm usually not a fan of Animo stuff as I find it a bit over the top, but I got this one in Europe for quite cheap compared to the prices over here and it's probably their most "conservative" coat.

Yes wear it! It's gorgeous.

You would be totally fine to show in that at TBird! It's gorgeous!!

IMHO, perfect for jumper ring and maybe even EQ, but not for Hunter Ring. Just my opinion, but the Animo are nice coats, as long as they fit properly!!

Quote Originally Posted by Denzel View Post
    This is the one I was referring to FarmHouse has it as well (http://www.farmhousetack.com/servlet...e-Coat,/Detail), and Farmhouse is FAN-FRICKIN-TASTIC to deal with, I ordered a hunt coat from them last month and the shipping to Canada was so easy and hassle-free and no brokerage/customs to worry about! Highly recommend them for Canadian buyers!
    I ordered a 3 button Techlite from Farmhouse as well and they were similarly fantastic to deal with. It shipped to Canada no problem as well (just had to pay the tax when I received it - no customs or brokerage). The weight of the coat is great compared to my wool Grand Prix coats and it doesn't look all that different than a traditional coat when on.

I probably wouldn't wear it in front of George because, well, it's George. Lol! But, I would rock that coat in the hunter ring under any other judge. It's beautiful.
    Last edited by Madaketmomma; Jun. 7, 2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Darn autocorrect

Quote Originally Posted by LastCall9 View Post
    I ordered a 3 button Techlite from Farmhouse as well and they were similarly fantastic to deal with. It shipped to Canada no problem as well (just had to pay the tax when I received it - no customs or brokerage). The weight of the coat is great compared to my wool Grand Prix coats and it doesn't look all that different than a traditional coat when on.
    Now that I know Farmhouse is that awesome, I am TOTALLY taking advantage of their awesome yearly hunt coat sale much earlier next year! Seeing the deals some scored with unique coloured coats for $10 and cheap soft shells, I am super pumped there's final a good sale that Canadians can partake in without a giant pain in the rear!