The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default School bus vs me and my horse...scary scary scary

So, gorgeous day. After working I think just too nice not to take my boy out for a quick ride down our lovely country road! Most of the cars are pretty nice, and even the big crane trucks. Fedex drivers are courteoius! Except one school bus. Who typically goesvery fast, very close and guns it as she passes us. But, I figured, it was late, lovely day, what were the chances I 'd find the bus??

100% it turns out. We are as far over as we can go, horse is totally freaking out in the culvert/ditch with no where to go, and I am hoping we are not both going under the bus, which REVS UP right by us! It finally passes, spewing gravel, and I do a very bad thing.

I made a hand gesture at the bus after it passed. I can't even remember the last time I have done that - decades? I never do that. Not driving. Not to anyone. Just..never. But I did today.

So the driver slams on the brakes. I try to ride up to her but my horse is just not having any of it, engine revving. she is yelling at me that she "hopes I am proud" as there are in fact kids on the bus.I am trying to tell her that, no, I am not proud, mortified in fact, but happy to be alive and that I don't appreciate being run over.I She is not listening, still screaming that it is "not her fault if that thing freaks out", then asks again, "is that thing going to freak fi I take off cux I'm done!" And she does! Spewing gravel all the way.

I wish I could have gotten on the bus and apologized to the kids. I would like that. I woiuld like to ride the roads in peace. I would like never to act like a jackass again like that! It is being followed up on, just because people really could get hurt,but still, a scary and unpleasant ride.

2 members found this post helpful.

Next time you see it, get the bus number and report her to the school board. Not so much the horse thing, but because she STOPPED THE BUS and screamed at a stranger on the road with kids on the bus. NOT OK!!!!! What if you'd been a nut with a gun?

A group of parents did get and aggressive driving rude driver fired by repeatedly reporting her.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

36 members found this post helpful.

Can you report her to the company? yes, you made a gesture, but she is doing this on purpose... so surely not setting a great example herself. What if she had hit you and your horse? would that be a better spectacle for the kids??? wow...
    I would so report her not only to the bus co. but to the police as well..

11 members found this post helpful.

Absolutely report her. She is dangerous, get her off the road.

28 members found this post helpful.

I probably would not have been able to stop myself either. Honestly the bus driver is teaching the kids very irresponsible behavior by driving like that, not to mention the danger she puts those kids in.

Can you find a way to report her?

3 members found this post helpful.

I would follow up with a written, formal complaint to the school district. If you, or your horse ended up colliding with the bus due to the driver's negligence, not only are the children at risk of injury, the school district is at risk of losing their shirt in a lawsuit.

Put them on notice that this bus driver is dangerous - they can't ignore this type of thing.

Edited to add - you do not need a license plate number etc. They should know who was driving given the day, route and time.

20 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    I would follow up with a written, formal complaint to the school district. If you, or your horse ended up colliding with the bus due to the driver's negligence, not only are the children at risk of injury, the school district is at risk of losing their shirt in a lawsuit.

Put them on notice that this bus driver is dangerous - they can't ignore this type of thing.

Edited to add - you do not need a license plate number etc. They should know who was driving given the day, route and time.
    And nevermind the fact that the horse has the right of way.
    In addition to writing the school district and calling the bus company, I'd be calling the local police to have them hide a car along her route to ticket her sorry ass. Not sure, but hoping one speeding ticket and her job is at risk.

12 members found this post helpful.

Very scary indeed. This bus goes by your house? Video tape it, write a petition and get all the neighbors to sign it.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Definitely, definitely report that bus driver! We had a school bus that would go down our gravel road so incredibly fast. We knew where he was picking up, and always imagined that he must be scooping up the kid by his shirt while spinning a 180 in the road--because it seemed impossible that he could get to that house, get a kid, and go screaming back past our house to get to the county road in that short an amount of time.

Well, that funny mental image stopped being funny when he tipped the bus over into a ditch one morning a few hundred yards from our place. Full of kids, luckily only bruises. Nothing is so scary as running up to a school bus with wheels up in the air still spinning. Just utter dread at what you were going to find. Ugh, still makes me sick to think about it.
    So, do report her. It's not just about the risk she put you in-- you might prevent a tragedy if she's driving like that, and letting rage get the best of her.

15 members found this post helpful.

Report her. She put you, your horse and the kids all at risk.

4 members found this post helpful.

Write a letter to the school board or whatever entity is in charge where you are. They should be able to figure out which bus driver it is by the location and the time.

In fact... write a letter to the local paper too, so the parents will see it.

No way should she have *stopped* the bus with kids aboard to argue with someone.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post

Exactly.

What? She stopped the bus and screamed out the window? Not cool at all.

I work at a school and it's probably not the first time the kids have seen someone flip a bird. I can't imagine what compelled her to stop...I mean, wasn't she in a big hurry? Ironically, if an unsafe driver had zipped by her as she was dropping off kids, she would have probably felt like doing the same thing.

BTW, I flipped the bird at an old man after he pulled the same exact stunt once, only he didn't stop his truck, he just kept on going.

Report her. And a letter to the local newspaper editor.

I ride along the road all the time but always where I can get off if necessary, and trust me, a school bus on the horizon would have me headed for someone's lawn.

A few weeks ago in our county a lady had her horse killed out from under her on the road. I never found out what happened and no followup was ever on the news. But permanent injury to horse or rider is always much too possible. The current generations are just too far removed from horse sense.

Send an email to the school board, another to her boss and another to the local paper. I reported our trash truck driver to his boss and he has driven carefully since then. Our mailman almost got fired for driving 45mph on our 25mph road. I also reported the safe, careful, alert, driving of our UPS driver. I got a nice phone call back from his boss.

Explain that you are concerned for your safety and also for the safety of the kids on the bus. Apologize for your gesture at the driver, but explain that you were terrified. Also mention that you are aware that you had the right of way.

6 members found this post helpful.

Ugh. I encountered a public transit bus on a bridge the other day (so no lawns or ditches to move off into) and it also sped up and sent gravel flying out from under its tires. Terrifying, even when your horse is more or less well behaved.

I agree that when you report this, the bus company and school board will probably be more concerned about her stopping and shouting at you than the fact that she was inappropriately aggressive about passing you. Most people don't realize that aggressive driving around horses/riders on the road puts themselves/other drivers at risk of a terrible accident. I once happened upon the aftermath of a horse/car collision (horse fatality, car totaled) and it was terrible, nightmarish, something I wish I could unsee.

As for the gesture, don't dwell on it. We all do things we're not proud of now and then, especially when forced into really stressful situations.

I know several school bus drivers in different counties and believe me her actions would not be tolerated.

Call the bus compound and have them pull the tape pronto. Hopefully they have that in your buses; around here they all do. It will show them exactly what happened on the inside of her bus (including her actions) and also records audio.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

I was sliding on a just barely snow covered road one day. Just enough snow to cover the lines, but so little it made it slippery instead of something to grab onto. Around the corner comes a school bus, straddling where the line would have been. With another bus behind her, and the road as slippery as it was, I put my car into the ditch to avoid her. The 2nd bus driver backed up the first driver's story to the police that I was out of control. The snow had melted by the time they got there, so couldn't see the bus had gone down the middle.

And I used to also handle claims for some of the private companies that drove across the city as needed by the school districts. One company was notorious for allowing their insurance coverage to lapse. And their drivers were peachy, too.

Most of my experience had been very positive with bus drivers, and they have a tough job - my sister was one. But alternatively, there are some real jerks out there.

I see no problem with your response out of fear, but a much larger one with her reaction, and failing to give you the right of way. She's a paid professional driver.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Stupid undereducated cow...Report her to everyone you can think of.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Was this the driver?

Yeah, call school district transportation and report Mrs. Crabtree. They'll know who it is by the location and time. Children need to learn how vehicles should approach horses on the road (since God knows most of their parents have no clue). She's not setting much of an example.

And no reason you should pay taxes to be terrorized on the road.

6 members found this post helpful.