The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I love having a perimeter fence and gate. It's not intended as a security item, it's just a normal tube gate. Where I'm from an unlocked front gate means "If you have opposable thumbs, please close it behind you. If you have paws or hooves stay on the side you were put." Some people here clearly read it as "Beware, there are probably more pit bulls and shotguns than people with teeth on the other side."

UPS and USPS are fine with leaving packages outside it. I've had to have conversations with FedEx about signature required deliveries that were made more surreal by the fact that the driver ticks "reception desk unmanned" on the form.

The main problem we have is the electricity meter reader. They won't ring, or even give a single day to expect a visit, just a 3 day range. If the gate is shut they drive away and mark us as using zero electricity that month. That means we sometimes get an electricity bill for 6 months at a time which hurts.

I live on a 50mph road and it makes me a lot less stressed when a horse gets loose knowing that the gate is shut.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tangledweb View Post
    I love having a perimeter fence and gate. It's not intended as a security item, it's just a normal tube gate. Where I'm from an unlocked front gate means "If you have opposable thumbs, please close it behind you. If you have paws or hooves stay on the side you were put." Some people here clearly read it as "Beware, there are probably more pit bulls and shotguns than people with teeth on the other side."

around here, not a bad assumption to make though.

UPS and USPS are fine with leaving packages outside it. I've had to have conversations with FedEx about signature required deliveries that were made more surreal by the fact that the driver ticks "reception desk unmanned" on the form.
    makes the signature pretty useless...I don't think I ever sign for anything UPS...although I normally catch them walking up the drive, to yell them a 'thank you'

The main problem we have is the electricity meter reader. They won't ring, or even give a single day to expect a visit, just a 3 day range. If the gate is shut they drive away and mark us as using zero electricity that month. That means we sometimes get an electricity bill for 6 months at a time which hurts.

I live on a 50mph road and it makes me a lot less stressed when a horse gets loose knowing that the gate is shut.
    I hate such things.
    out meter was in the fence yard with Dal on guard....we finally resorted to getting cards from the power company where we marked off our meter reading and send that in to be billed. Worked well, maybe your place offers that as well (or you could suggest remote read meters?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Our meter reader has an electric company lock tied into our own lock, so they come thru when they need, to work on the lines or to read meters, no problem.
    That is standard here for everyone.

Once we caught a surveyor trespassing and he was using a master key from the electric company to get around.
    He was fired and now everyone is on notice NOT to EVER use those keys for any other than electric company explicit business.

You may want to ask them about that?

Ask your power company about reading the meter from the road. We have 2 meters - one for the house and one for the barn. AEP stops at the end of the driveway, 1/4 mile away, reads both of them and never sets foot on the property.
    Last edited by KnKShowmom; Jun. 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    makes the signature pretty useless...
    Yeah, I'm not expecting them to leave signature required packages at the gate. I don't care if they are too lazy or too scared of hillbillies and hounds to open it for normal packages but if the alternative is making me ring a call center and talk in circles it annoys me.

I spent a few weeks trapped in circular limbo, because a former employer insisted on fedexing paperwork to my home address signature required. FedEx would come during business hours, when my employer should know I was not home to sign for it as they could seem me at my desk.

To add to that catch 22 hilarity, FedEx would tick "reception desk unmanned" so I had to have conversations with a call center where I explained that I did not have a reception desk, and was not planning to build a reception desk or hire a receptionist just to get this package.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Our meter reader has an electric company lock tied into our own lock, so they come thru when they need, to work on the lines or to read meters, no problem.
    That is standard here for everyone.
    Mine's not locked at all, some visitors, including electricity, just refuse to open it.

We have a solar powered gate at the front of our property. We have a 1200 ft. driveway with a driveway alarm on it so I can hear someone approaching. Meter reader (same one since we have lived here) has our code, other repairmen or deliveries are told to call when they get close and I go down and open the gate for them. We had our handy neighbor build a small sheltered box for UPS and others to leave packages in. It is right outside our gate, and we painted it to match. We put in the gate as we had random people driving up our driveway when we first moved here, when the same guy drove up two days in a row, I decided it was time for a gate. We have had no problems with the solar power as we have plenty of sun here. Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Great question, OP, I am contemplating the same thing. I was wondering about emergency services. What if the fire dept or police need to get in quickly and I am not home?

Also, the barn and arena have been built but house is last on the list (priorities, dontcha know) we are currently living in a mobile home and I don't want to put up a gate (frontage of property is entirely treed, only accessible via driveway) and then have to take it down for construction equipment to get through.
    Talk with the fire marshal, they are the god. There are devices that range from siren sensor to optical light strobes to registered keys... each fire department has its own desired method.

Any gate system that has full systems capability will allow you to attach any type of control to the system

Quote Originally Posted by kch7238 View Post
    We have a solar powered gate at the front of our property. .
    Solar powered systems qualify for a 30% Federal Tax Credit... this is a bottom line credit... if the system cost $6000 you get $2000 back from the IRS....this is good for systems install on your primary residence through end of 2016

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Our only issue with the gate has been the power supply in winter. It is a solar-powered opener and when we get several overcast days in a row during the winter, it gets really slow or stops functioning all together. We've got a back up battery and a trickle charger for those times and it works fine just requires a little more hands-on attention.

You can add solar panels to a system just be sure to include a regulator to control the charge rates so that you do not over charge a battery. It is also advisable to increase the battery size or add a battery in series to increase the reserve. Additional solar panels are cheap these days... a standard panel can be remote mounted to get into a more direct line of the sun if needed you can go up to about 100ft using 16 ga wire

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tangledweb;7018643 . . .

That's not as big a problem as you think - we used to read our own meter and submit the reading to our landlord and I've never heard of a company saying no thanks to a premature payment - it took the phone company over six months to pay me back for the double bill I paid when I cut my old service off, so . . . We have some sort of wifi sensor here in the water meter and the power, I haven't seen the electric guy up at the house meter EVER and the water guy cruises down the road very slowly but never gets out or lifts a lid.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I bought a property with perimeter livestock fencing and an old manual gate across the driveway. The sellers came back and took all the gates between closing and my moving in and, boy, did I miss that front gate! I think half the county drove down the long driveway "just to see what was back there". No joke, I'd be out cleaning the place up and spend over half my visit talking to people who stopped in for a look-see. On the one hand, it was great meeting so many 'neighbors'. But, on the other, I was very conscious of being alone, on a large farm, with carloads of strangers poking around all hours of the day and night.

I replaced the tube gate and posted a "Livestock--keep the gate closed!" sign. Friends and visitors have little trouble figuring out how to come in and close the gate behind them. Deliveries don't bother, though I can convince most of them to toss packages over the fence. I do lock the gate with a cable (used to be a chain, until someone cut it and put their own lock on it(!)) when nobody is home, but any reasonably handy person with a wrench can get a tube gate off its hinges in a minute flat if there's an emergency.

I really like having the fence and gate for livestock. The horses naturally want to follow the driveway and people routinely drive 70 on our 55 mph country road, so I feel a lot better having a solid barrier between the two.
    ---------------------------

[QUOTE=WildBlue;7018915]I bought a property with perimeter livestock fencing and an old manual gate across the driveway. The sellers came back and took all the gates between closing and my moving in and, boy, did I miss that front gate! I think half the county drove down the long driveway "just to see what was back there". No joke, I'd be out cleaning the place up and spend over half my visit talking to people who stopped in for a look-see. On the one hand, it was great meeting so many 'neighbors'. But, on the other, I was very conscious of being alone, on a large farm, with carloads of strangers poking around all hours of the day and night. QUOTE]

Our farm is very close to town but on a dead end road. We have a gate (not automatic) that we close when we are gone for the weekend or horses or cows are loose in the yard.

I dream of having an automatic gate. We have dealt with lots of people driving down the driveway to "look". Some apparently have sticky fingers and we've lost a few items. Due to the winter weather, we haven't put one in but I would love to have one.

Nancy!

The barn DD lessons at has an automated gate. They leave it open during the day and close it at 4pm. It seems a giant hassle, as all the after school crowd arrives just after the gate closes for the day and has to punch in the code. We were all given the code, but it makes for interesting times when Grandma has to pick up after lessons and try to enter the code correctly!

I did not have automatic gates but old style. They kept the horses in and friends and boarders understand. Ups would leave a package, as I always left instructions. As for the fire department, if there is and issue, they will take the gate down to get to the fire, and home owners or insurance covers it.!
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

I am planning on putting in two livestock gates (to make one 20'+ gate) on the highway side of the property. I spoke to the propane delivery man and he said he wouldn't have a problem with opening it and closing it behind him. I can have other deliveries go to my office in town.

Our house drive is narrow (should have had a wider culvert, but redoing the driveway is down the list since we have the second drive) and the house drive is wooded. Do the electric gates use a lot of electricity? Do you just need a normal power source (like a plug in)? I don't think solar would work. Also I worry about snow drifts--what do all of you with gates do in the winter (assuming you get snow).

Our neighbors (across the street) have not made any effort to meet us (moved in in Nov). I need to bring them some fresh eggs or something and introduce myself. I am a bit worried about a dog getting loose some day on accident and getting shot or something. It's weird because I see them watching and then when I try to make eye contact and wave and they look away. Our city neighborhood was super friendly and close knit and we all looked out for each other. I thought a small town/country "neighborhood" would be too. Weird.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    Solar powered systems qualify for a 30% Federal Tax Credit... this is a bottom line credit... if the system cost $6000 you get $2000 back from the IRS....this is good for systems install on your primary residence through end of 2016
    Thanks for this tip. I googled and it looks like it applies to the cost of the opener system and accessories and installation, but not the gate itself or the pillars.
    Last edited by Badger; Jun. 6, 2013 at 12:01 PM.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    Also I worry about snow drifts--what do all of you with gates do in the winter (assuming you get snow).
    If I know there's a snow coming, and I am glued to the weather in the winter, I lock the horses up and leave the gate open. I don't want the plow guy to have to deal with the gate and I don't particularly want to dig the gate out either. Fortunately, it doesn't drift at the gate often (unlike the rest of the property) so I just have to deal with the actual snowfall there.

Quote Originally Posted by KnKShowmom View Post
    Ask your power company about reading the meter from the road. We have 2 meters - one for the house and one for the barn. AEP stops at the end of the driveway, 1/4 mile away, reads both of them and never sets foot on the property.
    Duke energy is acutally creating a new meter that they can read without going in your yard. I think they will start installing them this year
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

One farm where I boarded had a driveway that opened into a large gravel parking area. Everyone parked there cars here, as well as trailers and farm equipment. The rest of the property was fully fenced and gated. The gate was often left open, but closed at night or if nobody was there. A pass through for people to easily walk in without opening the gate. A road continued down to the barn and only staff were permitted to drive down to the barn or when loading a horse trailer. It was annoying to hike to the barn, but nice to have cars farther away from the barn.

If you gate the drive make sure to leave enough of the driveway on the road side of the gate that a truck with trailer has plenty of room to pull in off the road before when the gate is closed. Nothing worse than blocking the road with your truck or trailer and risking accident or injury.

2 members found this post helpful.