The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question why isn't there a forum for Polo?

We have one for western peeps, seems like polo forum would fit right in with the tone of this board. I was looking just the other day for somewhere to find a polo lesson and was surprised we don't have a polo forum here.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

Yes!! I would like one too!!

I'm still crossing my fingers and hoping for a saddle seat forum, lol. Polo would be a cool addition, though.

1 members found this post helpful.

I can't see a polo forum started, just not enough peeps. Look how long it took to get the western forum started. and unfortunately for me, the small polo club we had six minutes down the road from me disbanded due to the land we played on sold

Polo is such a blast, everyone should try it at least once in thier lifetime! Same with foxhunting side saddle!

Hey alittlegray, you play?

I've been hoping for one too

I used to play--I'd be in for that!

Count me in among those who would love a polo forum, but agree that there might not be enough people for it to be worthwhile - most of my polo peeps are not really the message board sort.

I wonder how many people would like to know how to get started, on say the Pony Club level? It really isn't all that hard. Learning to wrap, desensitizing the ponies, and learning the correct shots and stick 'n ball is a really fun thing for any rider, especially kids and beginners needing confidence. You can totally do it on your own horses, and you don't need full equipment to start.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that teaches an independent seat better!

I check all the forums & always learn stuff. I would love to see a polo forum. If there was a saddle seat forum, that would be super cool, too. How about starting an "other disciplines" forum & see what kind of interest there is?

1 members found this post helpful.

I actually just went to my very first polo match (as a spectator) on Friday and am going again today. I think a polo forum is a stellar idea....so much to learn about the sport.

And after Polo a forum for mounted Archery and Jousting!!!... Well we might have to wait a while for that those.
    Save Schrodinger's Cat!!!

Hey- I never understood why we can't have a forum for horse breeding or reproduction (for those of us who breed non-sport horses)... why do sport horses have all the fun?
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

What is a "non-sport" horse? A decorative shelf horse? Trying to figure that one out, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    What is a "non-sport" horse? A decorative shelf horse? Trying to figure that one out, LOL.
    Halter
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

Minis
    draft horses
    work horses (cattle, ranch, trail, pack)
    a non-competing horse.
    Mules
    not everyone who rides, drives or packs -considers it a "sport"
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Ah ok, I see what you mean, sort of. I guess I use the term "sport" very loosely (although LOL'ing at halter) so I'd put most riding or purpose-bred equines into some sort of "sport" category just by virtue of being used for something.