The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Leather Fenders vs Synthetic fenders vs Australian leathers

Hi-
    I finally found a saddle to fit my horse. It's a bit heavier than I'd like and the leather fenders that came with are very stiff. I'm a former english (dressage ) rider and I don't like fenders to start with, but these are really annoying for me. I am considering switching them to Synthetic or Australian leather ( http://www.downunderweb.com/store/Tack_Leathers.html - the ones I have are the 1st ones on this page).

Any advice ? I am currently riding 50s and multidays.

I've been using the downunder synthetic leathers for several years and I love them. They're very flat, I can even ride without half-chaps and not get pinched or rubbed. The buckle is on the bottom next to the stirrup so there's nothing against my thigh, and they turn easily, not like fenders (I'm also an English rider). They're not listed on the web site, but if you email downunder they can tell you how to order them.

Here's a link to saddles with the synthetic leathers: http://www.downunderweb.com/store/MI_SAD280.html

Erin

Malda - Are you using them in an english saddle ? I have mine on a western/endurance saddle. The setup looks like this http://www.advantagesaddles.com/publ...element146.jpg . My biggest worry is that using the leathers rather than a fender/flap will not protect my leg from the rigging/billets.
    If I do end up using leathers, I would probably use synthetic ones, just to further reduce weight/ stuff I need to clean.

I have Nunn Finer, 1/2" holes, black leather, and they are a three layer, double sewn, with the inner layer as biothane. These have NEVER EVER stretched. They have remained black, I don't clean/oil them often either.

I have had leather leathers, pre-stretched leather leathers, and they ALL STRETCH. I was constantly having to measure, re-do holes, swap sides with these leather leathers.

The ones I have now, NEVER stretch. I do swap every now and then, but don't need to. Have had them for a decade. And I have ridden 1,000's of miles in them. I have used irons, and now EZ ride plastic stirrups. Love 1/2" holes better than any 1" hole. I use them with my Solstice. No leg rubbing.