The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's in your cooler?

Hi all,

Totally useless subject, but I'm curious. I'm off to show this week and I was wondering, what's in your cooler? What are some of your favorite foods, snacks and beverages to bring with you to a show, especially in hot weather? I'm trying to avoid greasy show food so I'm digging for some great ideas!

I'm also planning to get a cooler to bring to shows.
    Gonna put in my horse's ice packs so I can ice his legs, haha.
    Also I think some watermelon, turkey and cheese sandwiches (with hummus spread, yum!) or egg salad/tuna sandwiches, Cold water with Mio water enhancer (0 cals yay), probably some 15 cal freezies.

Sandwiches:
    Chicken salad, turkey and mustard, turkey and avocado

Fruit:
    Grapes, Clementines, Apples

Veggies:
    baby carrots!

I also live by Lara bars, they are gluten free and are made entirely with fruits and nuts. They can get expensive but I always just buy whatever flavor is on sale that week. I prefer them to Luna bars because I find they taste less processed.
    Oh Sweetheart
    Make A Splash
    The Adventures of a College Equestrian

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Lots and lots and lots of water and a bottle or two of Gatorade. Frozen grapes. Hard-boiled eggs and some cheese wedges or cubes. A couple of granola bars.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I take soy yogurt - its quick, easy and chock full of protein. I also take either the Naked or Bolthouse brand protein drinks. And I love Arizona iced tea!

Tons of Gatorade. I need the salt (I'm actually on a high salt diet because otherwise, I have these lovely episodes of syncope). Frozen grapes!! Babybel cheeses.

Blueberries! They're a powerfood

Powerade Zero and ALCOHOL. I'm a nervous Nelly, yo.

3 members found this post helpful.

Booze
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

6 members found this post helpful.

Tons of water, a little Gatorade, maybe a beer or two, some fruit, maybe some veggies (possibly with some hummus if I'm really on top of things), almonds, and gummy bears.

Another vote for frozen grapes! But really any fruit. It's nice to have on hand because I HATE eating when it's hot out, but I can always manage some fruit. My mom always brought along nuts and trail mix type stuff when I was younger too, but I never want it in the summer.

Always have a couple coolers for apres showing, definitely lots of gatorade and FRUIT! I too am one that doesn't really like eating when it's hot out and I have a pretty sensitive stomach so as much as I love citrus fruits, when I'm already hot and tired and low on food intake the acid is not a good choice! I usually go for frozen grapes, watermelon and sugar snap peas for quick snacks.

Going to have to try the frozen grapes!

I usually have a turkey and swiss sandwich, Propel Zero and diet coke. And of course a bottle of chardonnay - if I am feeling a little nervous, a bit of wine helps. Otherwise, is nice to sit around and chat and drink wine after we are all done!

I also always have baby carrots for my horse.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Water, sweet tea, water melon, cantaloupe (or any other type of fruit really), carrots, and oil-free face wipes. In the Fl heat, using one of those icey cold wipes is really refreshing!!

I freeze Vitamin Water - take off lid, pour a little out, put in freezer. When frozen put cap back on and off you go. I don't always put in a cooler as it needs to start to melt - becomes a slushy and great on hot days. You can also freeze bottles of water and use in place of ice and as the frozen water melts it is very cold and refreshing.

Also love frozen grapes - keep them in my freezer most of the summer as so refreshing.

Everyone has listed much of what I normally have but sugar snap peas and sliced cucumbers stored in the cooler are awesome! We usually have hummus to go with them as well. For hummus my favorite is the individual packs from sabra because they are easier to deal with at a show. Outside he cooler pita chips and pretzel thins are also great to have on hand.

A wine cooler if I win, whiskey if I take a dive.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

4 members found this post helpful.

Two large Gatorades. One for me, one for my horse!! And water.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Here's a shot in the dark. I'm thinking about adding something like a muesli bread with peanut butter to my horse show cooler. I saw something like that in a box lunch at Starbucks and thought "Hey, that looks appetizing," and with the nuts and fruit in the bread and the peanut butter on top of it, that could be a nice horse show food.

I don't suppose anyone has an unleavened muesli bread recipe? Or has tried it before? I always like coming up with new things for the lunch box.

Here's another one, this time from the horse show food stand that I think would translate well into cooler food- cooked cold chicken on spinach and tzatziki in a pita.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Rennaissance: we were recently at the grocery store and saw fruit and nut mixed peanut butter! Might be easier than the bread in a pinch. They also had cinnamon raisin mix and banana nut. I thought they sounded really yummy as a way to easily add a pop to bread or toast.