The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by XTAC View Post
    My smart pack gripe is that they have started billing me about two weeks before shipment (which seems excessive) and ship my smart packs so late that I get the new box the DAY I need them, which makes me nervous. Yes, I can change the date, but I should not have to do that, they should have it figured out. If they shipped within a day or two of billing it would be perfect.
    Maybe their ESP is broken? Seriously, just go change the shipdate online, or if you'd rather them know how much you're annoyed by it, call them and they can change it for you. It's not that complicated.

I'm fairly certain you get billed before your order goes into production, which probably takes a day or two. Since SP is so good about taking supplements back if the horse doesn't like them, or if the horse unexpectedly passes away and doesn't need the supplements, I'm not sure why people would be upset by this. If I order a custom piece of tack or equipment, I'd expect to pay for it, then it would be produced, then it would be shipped.

For the record, I'm not a SP-only type of girl; I have a Dover store just two miles from my house, along with a few local tack stores in the area, and one consignment place. I shop at all of them and whomever has the best deal/customer service gets my $$.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    LOL...I got slapped in another thread for griping about SP selling kool aid (kudos to them for the marketing genius that makes us all glaze over their catalogues and plastic wells)...<snip>

Support local when you can. Or at least support a store that doesn't spend million$ on catalogues and fancy re-packaging .
    There's a place they could save money--stop sending catalogs and slick catalogs-disguised-as-magazines to people who have never purchased anything from them! I get more catalogs from them than Dover and I've actually bought stuff from the latter.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Um, I would guess they ship your current orders on the same exact day in the cycle that they shipped your original order.
    Not sure why this is a reason to get mad at them.
    If you want things to arrive so you have a bunch of spare time between shipments then contact them and change it. Their goal is so you have what you need and not have a ton of extra sitting around getting old.
    Quote Originally Posted by XTAC View Post
    My smart pack gripe is that they have started billing me about two weeks before shipment (which seems excessive) and ship my smart packs so late that I get the new box the DAY I need them, which makes me nervous. Yes, I can change the date, but I should not have to do that, they should have it figured out. If they shipped within a day or two of billing it would be perfect.
    For those who are criticizing XTAC, you are missing her point. A company should not charge your credit card until the item is being shipped. I had a problem with SmartPak charging my credit card and not shipping the item for nearly 2 months, and I know someone else who had a similar experience. I contacted SmartPak and they kept giving me the runaround saying that they had contacted the manufacturer and the manufacturer wasn't getting back to them. I did a google search for contact info, and within 5 minutes was talking to the manufacturer. One of the component parts was on backorder and holding up production. Why couldn't SmartPak have found that out? Sorry, but a company can get in BIG trouble with credit card companies for running through a charge and not shipping an item promptly.

4 members found this post helpful.

We are not missing XTAC's point. XTAC made two points. I was not commenting on that point you brought up, but on the other point that XTAC commented on, which not missing the point at all.

I had no comment on the charging thing because I have no experience with them doing that, etc.

From SmartPak's website (emphasis added) "Part of the peace of mind that comes with SmartPaks is knowing that you'll never run out. You'll receive a new supply of SmartPaks every 28 days so your horse or dog will always have fresh, accurately dosed supplements. Because it takes time to carefully build your horse's custom SmartPaks, we bill your account 1 week in advance of your shipping date to guarantee on-time delivery." So, the point is, if SmartPak followed their policies, XTAC wouldn't be getting shipments just in the nick of time. THAT is the point.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Event Horse View Post
    From SmartPak's website (emphasis added "Part of the peace of mind that comes with SmartPaks is knowing that you'll never run out. You'll receive a new supply of SmartPaks every 28 days so your horse or dog will always have fresh, accurately dosed supplements. Because it takes time to carefully build your horse's custom SmartPaks, we bill your account 1 week in advance of your shipping date to guarantee on-time delivery." So, the point is, if SmartPak followed their policies, XTAC wouldn't be getting shipments just in the nick of time. THAT is the point.
    How is getting them on time not getting them guarantee-on-time and what does billing 1 week in advance of shipping date have to do with it (since that is what you bolded).

I have had delivery date issues in the past (my issues not theirs) so I called and my delivery date was changed.
    Thankfully I did not expect Smartpak to read my mind and know I had an issue with my delivery date. Instead of getting annoyed that they were not mind readers I called and a few seconds later all was adjusted no problem.

Geez people. Why get angry over something like this? Do you just like being angry with the company?

Being billed way too long in advance is worth complaining about, again, call them and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    How is getting them on time not getting them guarantee-on-time and what does billing 1 week in advance of shipping date have to do with it (since that is what you bolded)
    HUH? What you wrote doesn't make any sense. 1) SmartPak isn't following its stated policies. It should ship within a week of billing, and they are taking twice that time. 2) As a result, the supplements were received the exact day they were needed. It isn't too hard to imagine that, if this continues, the supplements may arrive AFTER running out of them. The problem is NOT the reorder date, but the delay that occurs from the automatic reorder date and the ship date. It's really not that hard to comprehend. Changing the date will work for one cycle and then it will be back to bill on xx date and ship 2 weeks later. As for calling and complaining, I most certainly did when I was waiting 2 months to receive a pricey item that I was already billed for. Other people were commenting on the decline in customer service, and I merely added my experience. The only anger I've seen is in the posts attacking other people for stating their experiences. I, for one, am grateful for those that give a heads-up on equine products/services - the COTH version of Consumer Reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Event Horse View Post
    From SmartPak's website (emphasis added) "Part of the peace of mind that comes with SmartPaks is knowing that you'll never run out. You'll receive a new supply of SmartPaks every 28 days so your horse or dog will always have fresh, accurately dosed supplements. Because it takes time to carefully build your horse's custom SmartPaks, we bill your account 1 week in advance of your shipping date to guarantee on-time delivery." So, the point is, if SmartPak followed their policies, XTAC wouldn't be getting shipments just in the nick of time. THAT is the point.
    Never run out? Try "inundated." As in buried beneath 2 or 3 months' worth and they can't seem to get it shut off. Make it stoooooooppppppppp!!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

I have the opposite gripe of the "last minute" arrival. Every 2-3 months I have to go adjust the shipping dates, because I keep ending up so far ahead on SmartPaks that I could almost skip a month if I don't keep on top of it.

I don't think it's "bratty" for free monogramming to be a deciding factor in whether or not I order their saddle pads or buy another one I like equally, elsewhere, with no monogram. There has to be something that's a buyer's deciding factor to purchase one product versus another. For me, and apparently others here, it was the free monogramming SmartPak offered. Without that, I've got no incentive to buy with them versus buying elsewhere, so once I get the couple pads I ordered the other day, I probably won't buy any more.

I always found great deals for barn buddies and autoship and my USEF discounts. But now my horse is on the Platinum products and I don't have a reason to order smartpaks anymore. I may be lazy and it partially it is due to my work related travel schedule but if they had my dogs' brand of dog food, I would have doggie smartpaks that are pre-measured and packed.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

I ran out of smartpaks once. Was kinda upset since it was his feed. Went without it for three to four days. Usually there Friday but did not make it until Tuesday. Moved ship day up a week. With my new supplement, I ordered it while I was still feeding the rest of the bucket. Thought I would be two weeks ahead but ended up getting the second month before starting the first.

I didn't use the free monogramming often, but it was a really nice extra perk that when I did use, I really appreciated. I think one idea someone mentioned was great -- SmartPak sends a calendar every December for the next year, with a coupon for each month for people who are on SmartPak autoship. I think it would be great if one month, the coupon was for free monogramming/engraving.

One interesting thing I have noted is that my 5% USEF discount is applying to fewer and fewer items over the years. SmartPak restricts many items from that discount and other % off sales that other smaller tack shops do include in their % off sales. So, for things like Tailored Sportsman, I now order from other small shops when they have sales, and it saves me a decent amount (those shops usually offer free shipping for orders over a certain amount, or pretty cheap shipping, so I still come out ahead).

All that griping aside, I still love many things about SmartPak. The multiple ways to get free shipping, the VIP discount on SmartPak branded products (which make good barn gifts, etc.), and the USEF discount (on the few items I but it still applies to) are all great. But most importantly, their customer service folks are amazing to deal with on the phone, and go above and beyond to help. I have had 2 instances when I needed replacement pieces for things (a keeper for a bridle and a clip for a Pessoa blanket). They do not sell either, but they dug around in their back area or returns, etc. and found what I needed and sent them to me both times, with no charge to me.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

The one time I opted for free monogramming, they messed it up, so no tears here. I still use SmartPak for my monthly snake oi -- I mean, supplements. I just have to keep in mind that the free shipping option takes like 10 days!
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

Has anyone gotten something from SmartPak in one of those malleable envelopes instead of a box? This was my first time and it had a huge hole (6x4") in it (the envelope pictured measures 20x16") and the contents weren't in any additional packaging like a clear plastic bag or anything. Thankfully it was just the Kensington grooming tote so the part hanging out was unharmed but a pair of gloves would have been lost or something not made of durable Kensington-fly-sheet-material could have been damaged.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...17676771_n.jpg
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Both of the breeches I ordered a few months ago (2 sizes of the same style, neither of which fit right, sigh) arrived in those envelope things, so that may be their default for that type of items.

Luckily Smartpak was good about the exchange and eventual return, but I think it's a better use of my time (and sanity) to go to my local tack shop and see what they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Never run out? Try "inundated." As in buried beneath 2 or 3 months' worth and they can't seem to get it shut off. Make it stoooooooppppppppp!!!!
    You can put your SmartPaks on hold for up to 2 months. Log into your account, click on "Update Shipping Schedule," and then click on the next shipment where it says, "Adjust Shipping Date." There's a drop-down menu that you can select how long you want to pause your SmartPaks.
    RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014

Some of these complaints could be caused by the shipping company and not Smart Pak. If you are running out of product before your next supply is there I think you should call them and have them ship a few days ahead of time so you don't run out. We've had flooded roads in our part of the country and yes, some shipping has fallen a little behind.

I think it is incredibly generous of them to pay shipping back for things that don't fit!! But people are going to whine because they stopped free monograming? Where else do you get that for free?

They stopped price matching. What did I do? I bought my product somewhere else this time. I didn’t come on a forum and complain.

I think SmartPak has gone above and beyond what any company should. If you have a horse that consistently destroys high quality product I don't think that's Smart Paks problem to fix.

Honestly some of the stuff people are whining about is amazing. If you don't like what SmartPak is doing then tell them why you won't be doing business with them or give them a chance to fix a problem. We seem to be living in a society that has some entitlement issues.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post

Otherwise I am at a complete loss as to how to keep my horse clothing both identified and matching.
    Duct tape and a sharpie.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by cottonXCblondie View Post
    Has anyone gotten something from SmartPak in one of those malleable envelopes instead of a box? This was my first time and it had a huge hole (6x4") in it (the envelope pictured measures 20x16") and the contents weren't in any additional packaging like a clear plastic bag or anything. Thankfully it was just the Kensington grooming tote so the part hanging out was unharmed but a pair of gloves would have been lost or something not made of durable Kensington-fly-sheet-material could have been damaged.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...17676771_n.jpg
    Almost every company I order from online, tack shop or not, ships what they can in those kind of packages now. Even my mail order prescriptions ship in those.

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    Almost every company I order from online, tack shop or not, ships what they can in those kind of packages now. Even my mail order prescriptions ship in those.
    Yeah, the only company I regularly order things from which ships in cardboard is Quality Paperbacks.