The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Just curious but has ownership changed? Have they been bought out by a mega corporation? There have been a couple of other threads about some of their other perks/quality service going away. Look around locally for someone that does embroidery, we have a lady that does halters for a local tack shop very cheap and does a great job, she does all kind of beautiful embroidery.

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    Just curious but has ownership changed? Have they been bought out by a mega corporation? There have been a couple of other threads about some of their other perks/quality service going away.
    This is what I've been wondering, now that all of the stellar perks are gone (price matching, embroidery, etc.)

1 members found this post helpful.

wait wait wait....have they stopped the Barn Saver Shipping as well?
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Quote Originally Posted by cottonXCblondie View Post
    wait wait wait....have they stopped the Barn Saver Shipping as well?
    No, that's still in effect. Thank goodness.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

2 members found this post helpful.

I posted on SmartPak's facebook, here is the reply:

Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out to us. Our decision to discontinue free embroidery/engraving wasn’t one we made lightly. We work hard to keep our prices competitive and never charge a premium to boost our bottom line. However, we have made a conscious decision to invest in our core rider-focused policies like free shipping on orders over $75 and all SmartPaks over $40, free returns on sized items, free Barn Saver Shipping, our 100% Happiness Guarantee, and a 10% VIP Savings for SmartPaks customers. That said, we want to sincerely thank you for reaching out and sharing your feedback, and we apologize that we weren’t able to provide advanced notice on the change. I have shared your frustration with our Marketing team, as hearing directly from riders like you is the best way for us to know where we can focus on improving.
    Amastrike and Lori – I’m sorry to hear about the less-than-stellar experiences you had recently when placing an order with us. Amastrike, I see that Jess was able to help you with your order, but if there’s anything else we can do, please don’t hesitate to let us know. Lori – one of our Customer Care agents will be reaching out to you regarding your order later today. Our goal at SmartPak is always 100% happiness, and we don’t take that lightly!– SmartPaker Kristina
    VW sucks.

4 members found this post helpful.

You know what I bet would split the difference and keep people happy? If they offered these perks but only sometimes (like May is free barn buddies embroidery month or something) OR if they put a limit on it (you can only do the free embroider 2x/month or something). Then they could still offer these nice perks without the $$$ drain and them being available all the time. They could even send out one time use codes for them. The website is set up to do that, Smartpak used to be all about codes. That would be a middle ground between eliminating the policy and keeping a policy too costly to support.

At the VERY LEAST they should have let customers know before eliminating/changing a policy so substantially. That's what really ticks me off. If you can't afford to offer free embroidery-- I get that. I don't want to find it out when I have the item in my cart and go to check out. I want to know BEFORE I make the decision to shop your website. These policies were widely publicized by Smartpak and their customers expect them to be in place unless notified otherwise. The way this was handled was poor. The decision is what it is, it should have been handled better. That Facebook reply? THAT is what should have been sent to customers BEFORE the policy changes went into effect.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

8 members found this post helpful.

That's a good idea, vxf. It would have been smarter business sense to go from "free embroidery all the time" to "reduced price embroidery" or "limited free embroidery", rather than "free embroidery" to "no free embroidery".
    VW sucks.

Just one more reason for me to be thrilled with the embroidery machine I received as a birthday present!
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

5 members found this post helpful.

I'm Lori, I posted on their FB page with amastrike. I received a call from their customer care rep., of course, I was riding so I didn't get to talk to her but she did leave a nice, detailed message and they did credit my order for the embroidered items that I just ordered. The embroidery on my baby pad was more than the baby pad cost so it will probably be the last one I order embroidered!

I wonder if they realize that many of us bought items from them instead of other companies BECAUSE of the free embroidery.

I ordered 2 fly masks this spring and only ordered them from Smartpak because I could get them embroidered. Same thing with polo wraps, saddle pads, and stable bandages, just to name a few things. Without that added incentive, it's easier just to pick those items up at my local Dover Saddlery, where the prices are less expensive and I can get products immediately.

For example, I can get a higher quality, plain navy saddle pad for $9.99 at Dover; cost me $19.99 at SmartPak but I always ordered from them because I could get my initials embroidered on the pad, which made it worth the extra. No reason to spend more money and wait over a week now to get things.

I've been a very loyal SmartPak customer but it's not the same company it used to be. They had incentives that set them apart from the competition, even though their selection of products is fewer than other resources and prices the same or more expensive.
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

3 members found this post helpful.

^Me too.

I would turn to SmartPak first BECAUSE of the free embroidery.
    I actually prefer Dover's saddle pads but went w SmartPak bc of the mongramming.
    Now I will just take stuff to be embroidered locally and bargain hunt for the items separately, and probably start looking at the Dover catalog before throwing it out.

I can change my policies too.

9 members found this post helpful.

Meup, do you have a place for embroidery? I looked some but most places I found just do huge orders, not a couple random items for an individual.
    VW sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    No, that's still in effect. Thank goodness.
    Oh thank goodness! I was starting to read too much into a post or two and thought that had gone as well.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Meup, do you have a place for embroidery? I looked some but most places I found just do huge orders, not a couple random items for an individual.
    Check out twosocksdesigns.com or their FB page. Awesome stuff and cater to individual horse owners!

The last place I looked for this was in TX, which is way easier to do EVERYTHING in than WNY, but I will gird my loins for the search and let you know what I come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Um, that is how all companies do anything that they do for free. It all has to get paid for some how. Companies need to make money to stay in business.
    There are also a lot of fashion designers, like Ralph Lauren, who overprice their lower tier items that they can sell in bulk to help pay the overhead for the top tier items that sell far fewer pieces. Nothing is ever free.

Again, I'm not surprised in this economy with the KILLER customer service they have that they had to take away perks. I work in the pet industry and a dog food company last year not only took away buy 10/get 1 free for customers but they stopped the employee perks! it's hard to have cake and eat it too right now. If you don't care about customer service, go elsewhere like horse.com w/ super poopy (can we say the 'c' word?) customer service but great prices. I dig great customer service, 100% happiness guarantee (another hard one to offer!) and free return shipping. Seriously, I'm stuck with stuff that will never fit me from Horseloverz, because shipping back was the same price as the clothing.

However, I do think they need notifications, and I like the idea of monthly incentives

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    ^Me too.

I would turn to SmartPak first BECAUSE of the free embroidery.
    I actually prefer Dover's saddle pads but went w SmartPak bc of the mongramming.
    Now I will just take stuff to be embroidered locally and bargain hunt for the items separately, and probably start looking at the Dover catalog before throwing it out.

I can change my policies too.
    My mother can do custom embroidery. She owns a quilt design company and has a digital embroidery machine. She's right in Alden if you wanted to drop stuff off on the way to your barn.

The woman who did my blankets works out of her basement. I called the local trophy outlets and one had sold her their machines. If you've got a sewing machine dealer in the area they may know of someone who is working off the cost of their machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    My mother can do custom embroidery. She owns a quilt design company and has a digital embroidery machine. She's right in Alden if you wanted to drop stuff off on the way to your barn.
    You're my favorite person ever.
    Can you FB me your mother's business contact info so I can find the place and inquire about hours and availability?