The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bummer. I haven't used their embroidery service in quite awhile, but it was a nice perk and would enable me to choose spending a bit more money on things, just for that.

I also miss the days of them having frequent free ship codes on catalogs, or online. The price matching is gone, too. I also find that they don't have a great selection when it comes to apparel. They used to be my "go to" but now they're near last on my list. I know they'll probably cost me more, if they even have it.

Can someone explain the 10% VIP savings (how does one become a VIP) & the barn saver shipping - what is that? Muchos Gracias!

I believe all you have to do to be a VIP is have auto-ship smartpaks.

1 members found this post helpful.

Does anyone else notice the lack of SmartPak participation on this thread? It used to be any time SP was mentioned, someone magically popped up to explain or try to make things right.

The SmartPak Customer Care ID hasn't been active since May 30th. I guess they are not longer keeping an eye on things here. Very un-SmartPak like.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

3 members found this post helpful.

Send them a customer comment with a link to the thread. That is how they found out about some of the other threads.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Does anyone else notice the lack of SmartPak participation on this thread? It used to be any time SP was mentioned, someone magically popped up to explain or try to make things right.

The SmartPak Customer Care ID hasn't been active since May 30th. I guess they are not longer keeping an eye on things here. Very un-SmartPak like.
    You do realize may 30th was just a week ago, right? They did respond to this issue on their facebook page (quoted below). I really don't have an issue with discontinuing the service. It had to be a big money suck for them. I DO have a problem with them not sending an email telling people that they'd canceled it, which is the same problem with them canceling the price matching without advertising it.

"Hi Joanne, Lori and Colleen – Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out to us. Our decision to discontinue free embroidery/engraving wasn’t one we made lightly. We work hard to keep our prices competitive and never charge a premium to boost our bottom line. However, we have made a conscious decision to invest in our core rider-focused policies like free shipping on orders over $75 and all SmartPaks over $40, free returns on sized items, free Barn Saver Shipping, our 100% Happiness Guarantee, and a 10% VIP Savings for SmartPaks customers. That said, we want to sincerely thank you for reaching out and sharing your feedback, and we apologize that we weren’t able to provide advanced notice on the change. I have shared your frustration with our Marketing team, as hearing directly from riders like you is the best way for us to know where we can focus on improving.
    Joanne and Lori – I’m sorry to hear about the less-than-stellar experiences you had recently when placing an order with us. Joanne, I see that Jess was able to help you with your order, but if there’s anything else we can do, please don’t hesitate to let us know. Lori – one of our Customer Care agents will be reaching out to you regarding your order later today. Our goal at SmartPak is always 100% happiness, and we don’t take that lightly!– SmartPaker Kristina"
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    You do realize may 30th was just a week ago, right? They did respond to this issue on their facebook page
    I do realize that! My point was they used to be on threads with their name in the title much quicker. I'm sure FB is now the primary focus of their communication.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    I do realize that! My point was they used to be on threads with their name in the title much quicker. I'm sure FB is now the primary focus of their communication.
    I know for a fact that some of those threads they were actually told about. I doubt they have an employee whose job it is to sit around waiting to reply here.

2 members found this post helpful.

Kelly nailed it. I was going to order a custom scrim from SmartPak because the embroidery would've been free... Now I can order a cheaper scrim from someone like Farmhouse and just have it embroidered here. It's a real bummer.

2 members found this post helpful.

Boooo, Smartpak! They've been my primary source for saddle pads in the last few years, because of the free embroidery! I especially love the dressage pad I have monogrammed from them, that I bought for shows. Without the incentive of free monogramming, I'm going to be getting any future saddle pads elsewhere, and figure out the monogramming thing on my own.

I think VXF's suggestion, that perhaps they could offer a certain month where VIPs/Barn Buddies get free monogramming, or a cap on items (1 a month, or 6 per year, or something) monogrammed free. That seems like a much better compromise, rather than doing away without notice, since it seems to be one of the big reasons a lot of folks shopped with them. I do wonder if they realize that?

If they have to raise prices on something, I would much rather they do it on non-essential basically frivolous frippery like this, and keep the price of the health-enhancing items as reasonably priced as they can.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

6 members found this post helpful.

I am happy as long as they have free shipping w/ Barn Buddies. Gosh, I LOVE that.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyS View Post
    I wonder if they realize that many of us bought items from them instead of other companies BECAUSE of the free embroidery.

I ordered 2 fly masks this spring and only ordered them from Smartpak because I could get them embroidered. Same thing with polo wraps, saddle pads, and stable bandages, just to name a few things. Without that added incentive, it's easier just to pick those items up at my local Dover Saddlery, where the prices are less expensive and I can get products immediately.

For example, I can get a higher quality, plain navy saddle pad for $9.99 at Dover; cost me $19.99 at SmartPak but I always ordered from them because I could get my initials embroidered on the pad, which made it worth the extra. No reason to spend more money and wait over a week now to get things.

I've been a very loyal SmartPak customer but it's not the same company it used to be. They had incentives that set them apart from the competition, even though their selection of products is fewer than other resources and prices the same or more expensive.
    I completely agree with this post.

Hello COTH community! I'm SmartPak's Brand Manager, Sarah Paull, and I hope you guys are believers in the "better late than never" school of thought. I know we're a bit late to this particular thread, but we have a good reason, which I'll explain in just a moment.

First, I want to assure you that we haven't been bought, and we're not turning into an evil empire - we're just trying to find the smartest ways to help riders take great care of their horses. In order to continue offering our tremendously popular rider-focused programs like free shipping on all orders over $75, free shipping on SmartPaks over $40, free returns on all sized items, free shipping to barns, VIP 10% SmartPerks discount, 100% Happiness Guarantee, SmartSupplements that are Guaranteed to Work, and more, we had to reevaluate all of our existing policies and make sure we were being as smart as possible. Unfortunately, offering free embroidery and engraving is just not financially viable for us as a company.

All that said, you guys are 100% right that not providing advanced notice was very "un-SmartPak" of us, and we're even more disappointed in ourselves than you are. In an effort to make it up to you (and this is why there was a slight delay in responding), we've put together a special promo code just for you guys. It's not good indefinitely, but it is good for free embroidery and engraving now through 6/19/13. Just use the promo code: WeLoveCOTH at checkout when you place your personalized order.

As always, thanks for keeping us honest and continuing to inspire us to be more awesome than ever.

Have a great ride!

-Sarah Paull-

31 members found this post helpful.

That's pretty awesome.
    Please support S. 1406 to amend the Horse Protection Act and Prevent all Soring Tactics to the Tennessee Walking horse!
    https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/s1406

Quote Originally Posted by SmartPak Customer Care View Post
    Hello COTH community! I'm SmartPak's Brand Manager, Sarah Paull, and I hope you guys are believers in the "better late than never" school of thought. I know we're a bit late to this particular thread, but we have a good reason, which I'll explain in just a moment.
    First, I want to assure you that we haven't been bought, and we're not turning into an evil empire - we're just trying to find the smartest ways to help riders take great care of their horses. In order to continue offering our tremendously popular rider-focused programs like free shipping on all orders over $75, free shipping on SmartPaks over $40, free returns on all sized items, free shipping to barns, VIP 10% SmartPerks discount, 100% Happiness Guarantee, SmartSupplements that are Guaranteed to Work, and more, we had to reevaluate all of our existing policies and make sure we were being as smart as possible. Unfortunately, offering free embroidery and engraving is just not financially viable for us as a company.

All that said, you guys are 100% right that not providing advanced notice was very "un-SmartPak" of us, and we're even more disappointed in ourselves than you are. In an effort to make it up to you (and this is why there was a slight delay in responding), we've put together a special promo code just for you guys. It's not good indefinitely, but it is good for free embroidery and engraving now through 6/19/13. Just use the promo code: WeLoveCOTH at checkout when you place your personalized order.

As always, thanks for keeping us honest and continuing to inspire us to be more awesome than ever.

Have a great ride!

-Sarah Paull-
    And this is why SmartPak is always my first choice. Have always received great service. Just placed an order with them last night.

3 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for that, Smartpak. I will say that I'm happy I now have no reason not to order dover's pads with all the pretty new colors they have, but I am going to order a few sheets since embroidery on the front makes it IMMEDIATELY OBVIOUS that my horse is wearing someone else's sheet. I find that handy so I'll order a few more things.

I will say that I am bummed that it also removes personalization from halters and bridles-- that is a lot harder to find, especially with your shipping times, and I am bummed that now I can't get my last name laser engraved on your awesome bridles.

Thank you, SmartPak. I just ordered two final monogrammed saddle pads from you, and do appreciate the USEF and SmartPerks discounts as well.

Thanks SmartPak for the reply. However, as I said before, the embroidery perk kept me ordering ALL my supplies from you. Now I can purchase them through my local Dover Saddlery and get them embroidered for half of what you charge. The products are less expensive and higher quality.

The polo wraps I ordered from you 2 months ago were $20 but I loved the opportunity to have them monogrammed. The first pair were monogrammed incorrectly and customer service overnighted me another pair that are now falling apart after less than 5 uses. The helmet cover I ordered before the polos also came in the wrong color the first time. I was told to just keep all the "wrong" stuff. Talk about losing money on your end...I'd rather get the right stuff the first time!

Then there are the high prices for Smart Pak brand clothes...when your technical fabric shirt is $10 more than a higher quality Ariat shirt, I just can't justify the purchase despite the fact that the free embroidery almost had me. Do you see the pattern your customers are seeing? Prices are going up and incentives are disappearing.

And now I have to enter a promo code to get my Smart Perks, and while I appreciate the "generous" 5 days extra to order monogrammed items, I'm having surgery tomorrow and will be in the hospital for another week so I guess I'll just start shopping elsewhere when I get home.

Very sad to see the loss of the special things that put Smart Pak at the top of my list. Will most likely discontinue my Smart Paks too as the supplement I like the best is not carried through Smart Pak despite my requests and the fact they carry other supplements from the same company.

Sorry! I used to rave about Smart Pak but this latest response from them reminds of when Dover would come on COTH to defend its high shipping charges. Message is: too bad, but we're going to ignore customer feedback and do what's best for us. I guarantee I could find better ways to save money than punishing loyal customers (maybe less free Smart Pak items, from tack to clothes, for sponsored riders...that is not why I chose to shop with you).
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

4 members found this post helpful.

Boy, am I glad that I ordered my monogrammed fly masks last month!