The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default SmartPak, you're making me really sad.

SmartPak has discontinued free embroidery on barn buddies accounts. This makes me very sad. Especially because they now charge almost $16 for embroidery, up from $10. I wish they offered a discount or something.. I guess I'm not getting anything else embroidered.

To be fair, the woman I spoke to on the phone was VERY nice and gave me a one-time credit because they just stopped doing it yesterday.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow that is crappy, I just learned about that and had a fly mask embroidered and sent directly to the barn. I'm sad I didn't know about it sooner - I would have taken advantage of it more.

That sucks. Did you happen to ask what other policies they changed yesterday so we will know about them all at once?

I stopped getting my stuff embroidered on Smartpak and Dover a while ago, was never worth the price. I bought a saddle pad for $10 and to embroider it was more than the pad itself! Luckily a sports place right by my job does embroidery and only charges me $5, no matter what the item is

Phototoxicity, that's a good idea!

I can't even really blame them too much for discontinuing it.. I'm sure they weren't making money on it, but to discontinue it totally with no warning sucks. I'd be totally happy with a 50% discount, but no way am I paying $16 for embroidery. *sigh*

SmartPak, the problem with spoiling your customers is that we get cranky when you take things away.
    VW sucks.

14 members found this post helpful.

Yeah - I am a bargain shopper, and well, SmartPak rarely had the best deals, so I rarely purchase from them (but I have made significant purchases there over the years).

And now, with all of the "perks" falling by the wayside, I don't think I will even include them when I do my comparison shopping.

4 members found this post helpful.

I've noticed they've been making a lot of changes lately. Dover has even been beating their prices on a lot of things and that's with my 5% USEF discount.

I have a friend who makes embroidered bags and book covers...I'd probably just ask her to do it!

I know so many people swear by SmartPak, but it seems like the only "deal" you get now is on the SmartPaks themselves and that much packaging would drive me up a wall. Since I like just getting big tubs if I'm going to supplement something (I'm thinking when the new horse arrives adding some hoof supplement for them both, and entertaining the idea of feed-through fly repellent as nothing topical seems to even slow them down these days) it's not worth ordering from them, no matter how slick their marketing language is in the catalogs! (Why do I get them? I've never ordered anything!)

Quote Originally Posted by Starhouse View Post
    Wow that is crappy, I just learned about that and had a fly mask embroidered and sent directly to the barn. I'm sad I didn't know about it sooner - I would have taken advantage of it more.
    Wow, this is yucky news. I was just getting ready to have some saddle pads embroidered.

It used to be SmartPak was my go to online shopping place, but they seem to be stopping the great things that set them apart from other online retailers. Bummer.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Yes, just take your stuff to a local shop that does the embroidery for your high school or athletic teams. It's way cheaper and it's supporting your local business!

There's really no way they could make money on it, and they have no contol over the privce if it gets raised on them. I thinks osme companies like LLBean do it "free" by padding the original price of the product.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post

There's really no way they could make money on it, and they have no contol over the privce if it gets raised on them. I thinks osme companies like LLBean do it "free" by padding the original price of the product.
    Um, that is how all companies do anything that they do for free. It all has to get paid for some how. Companies need to make money to stay in business.

8 members found this post helpful.

There are also some great options for small businesses online who are horse experts - check out http://twosocksdesigns.com/ or their FB page - they have gorgeous stuff and Sydney is great to work with!

7 members found this post helpful.

On the topic of poor customer service/relations, I returned an item to Dover and it was delivered last Thursday (according to the tracking number). I never heard a word from them. I just inquired and was told, "yes, we received it and we'll start the processing of the return right away". So, if I hadn't followed up, when would they have started the return process-they've had it three business days so far.

Also, when I asked if I would receive any communication when the refund is issued I was told that it was not customary but they would email me per my request....WTF? So, I send back an item and never hear anything from you at all? I have to keep checking my credit card account to see when/if you bother to process the return (which they didn't until I contacted them today)...sorry, not impressed.
    JB-Infinity Farm
    www.infinitehorses.com

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    That sucks. Did you happen to ask what other policies they changed yesterday so we will know about them all at once?
    Really. Change the policies if you want to. But don't be all SLY about it. Be honest.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

7 members found this post helpful.

I'm very disappointed in smartpak. They started off with stellar customer service and deals and they are really failing to keep it up

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    SmartPak has discontinued free embroidery on barn buddies accounts. This makes me very sad. Especially because they now charge almost $16 for embroidery, up from $10. I wish they offered a discount or something.. I guess I'm not getting anything else embroidered.

To be fair, the woman I spoke to on the phone was VERY nice and gave me a one-time credit because they just stopped doing it yesterday.
    Dude. In the annals of "first world problems . . . !"

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Dude. In the annals of "first world problems . . . !"
    They're horses. EVERYTHING to do with them is a first world problem.
    VW sucks.

63 members found this post helpful.

Snort. This made me laugh out loud.

Lol isn't that the truth
    In bummed I never took part in the barn buddies program with/for the free monogramming. I thought about it but I don't really order all that much and didn't want to hassle my trainer with more deliveries. But the monogramming would have been a lovely perk.

I also find it interesting/disappointing that no one from SmartPak has chimed in. They used to be really diligent about monitoring threads and responding in their (formerly?) amazing customer service manner.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg